IGNORED

Refurbishing a helmets innards

Z Factor

Too bad the foam couldn't be replaced . For example , when I bought my first pair of custom fit ski boots . I placed a sock like material over my foot , placed my foot in the shell and they filled the void between foot and shell with injected foam . Set for a few minutes and pulled the foot out . Best darn fitting ski boots I have ever worn . Now if we could get helmets made like this for better fit !

BEER30

Too bad the foam couldn't be replaced . For example , when I bought my first pair of custom fit ski boots . I placed a sock like material over my foot , placed my foot in the shell and they filled the void between foot and shell with injected foam . Set for a few minutes and pulled the foot out . Best darn fitting ski boots I have ever worn . Now if we could get helmets made like this for better fit !

BEER30

You probably can, however, you would look really silly with a ski boot on your head.

RR

Beer30: Too bad the foam couldn't be replaced . For example , when I bought my first pair of custom fit ski boots . I placed a sock like material over my foot , placed my foot in the shell and they filled the void between foot and shell with injected foam . Set for a few minutes and pulled the foot out . Best darn fitting ski boots I have ever worn . Now if we could get helmets made like this for better fit !

BEER30

RedRider: You probably can, however, you would look really silly with a ski boot on your head.

RR

Now that's funny.................I don't care who you are!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Guest KitCarson

I use a 3/4 helmet........know I should use a full helmet.........live in South Carolina where it gets hot enough to melt rocks......maybe that is why there are no rocks? They already melted!! But I use the HJC helmets.....good quality, fairly economical. About two years in the land of heat and sweat is all you get out of one........Oh those with a removable liner.....do not put in washing machine.......it will then fit a midgit.....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I actually have other skid lids, it is just that these are color matched to the bike.

So while I have better up to date ones, I'd like to refurb these if it is possible.

If they are to the point where they are wore that bad? why are you wearing a helmet, just for looks? not for protection I gather. You would really look cool laying there with a pretty helmet that didn't stand up to the crash.

Guest tx2sturgis

Helmets are a 'wear' item...so they do need to be replaced every few years...a 'do rag' or helmet liner may extend the life a few years. I put some layers of foam ( the soft part that had deteriorated) in an old half-helmet and got another 2 years out of it....

How about painting the newer helmets that you have to match your bike?

If they are to the point where they are wore that bad? why are you wearing a helmet, just for looks? not for protection I gather. You would really look cool laying there with a pretty helmet that didn't stand up to the crash.

I see your point. These also have the speakers, mike and connecting cables that plug into the bikes sockets. So while the look is not essential, it does seem like a waste to through them out.

I see your point. These also have the speakers, mike and connecting cables that plug into the bikes sockets. So while the look is not essential, it does seem like a waste to through them out.
They should come out. I've swapped headsets in and out of several helmets.

Did you know that all that perifinelia can be transfered to the new helmet?