IGNORED

Audio Distortion from all sources

I posted this in the audio thread but wanted to throw this out here and see if anyone had the same issue. I just picked up my 85 and installed a new set of 100W speakers since the old ones sounded like the cones were dried out. Well that was a waste of time and money. The new ones sound the same. It is very distorted and the bass and lower frequencies are the worse. The volume also appears to be very high.

What would make the system distort and sound like broken speaker mebranes. Sounds the same with AM/FM/Casette. I do not have headsets. I do notice that when I walk around the bike with the radio on that the FM signal varies. Not sure how to improve that as well. AM/FM switch on the control unit does not work. I have to turn the radio on and off and then sometimes it changes between AM/FM.

This is a replay from the other place you had this topic...

Seeing that the cassette is also distorted, you probably have a bad amplifier module, but it'd be best if you could find another 1st. Gen (83-93) Venture and temporarily swap control panels (the top piece that comes off with the key). There is a slight chance that your volume control (in the control panel) went bad. When I bought my 89, one channel had the volume control messed up. The reason I asked about the headphones is that they have a slightly different path, including their own amplifiers.

The amplifier module is located underneath the rubber cover, and it's the outer chassis. The inner chassis is the tuner, and if the cassette is also distorted the tuner probably is fine.

Take the control panel off and inspect the 2 connectors as suggested. Then you'll have to find another Venture or purchase another amplifier (EBAY). See if you can borrow a set of helmet speakers.....2nd Gen Ventures use the same helmet gear.

Frank D.

One other thing to try ... there is a mute button on the control box over the left handle grip. Make sure the mute button isn't pushed in and the volume turned up to high to overcome the mute.

Also, make sure the CB is turned off and the volume controls on the right side are turned off.

I do not have a CB unit and no headsets either.

UPDATE:

I removed the radio control unit and saw some rub marks on the wiring harness below. I blow out the connectors again with electric parts cleaner and bent the wiring harness and pushed it out of the way. Distortion is now much less and volume levels are normal (about 1 o'clock when riding on the volume dial).

Before you give up on your Amplifier unit, get a can of electrical contact cleaner , and apply it to ALL, the pull apart electrical plugs of the system. Blow them out with compressed air. Double check the Pins, that " mate " when you remove , and install the radio / cassett player assembly.

Remove the Rubber cover on the Amp unit, and be sure to pull out all the plugs that mate in the top of the unit, and clean all those pins with the contact cleaner.

Follow the cable from the Handle bar, control unit, there might be a plug enroute to the amp, find it, and clean that also.

Distortion can also be caused, by Volume Control, potentiometers, ie: (volume controls ) Not sure if you can get into the control heads, and spray contact cleaner on the volume controls, at the Main Control, and the handlebar control. This , Might, help.

Also, check the Antenna Input, for corrosion, and follow the Antenna cable from the radio unit all the way back to the Antenna base, for any sign of damage.

Basicly, your looking for Corrosion, or loose, or bent connectors, or any sign of wire , or cable damage.

After that, consider Internal Electronic failure itself. ( But these units, rarley fail, electronicly )

Inspect the Cable where it connects to the base of the antenna. On my 89, the base, connector, of the Antenna, failed !! Basicly I had to Replace the entire antenna mount, and re-mount the OEM Antenna in an aftermarket standard 3/8 X 24 thread antenna mount. ( ie: a CB antenna mount )