IGNORED

New England Trip Input Please

Long Tall

All:

First I have to say my wife is a real trooper. For those that did not follow our Trip Blog to South Dakota last September, Donna tripped on some steps on our last day at the Bad Lands National Pk and broke her right shoulder really bad. Anyway after rehab and all that goes with that she informs me a few weeks ago that she wants to do a trip to New England.:scratchchin: ALL THOSE PEOPLE IN SUCH A SMALL SPACE. :confused07:

Leaving on the 18th and returning by the 29th. From Lynchburg I'm jumping on Rt 220 through Northern VA and WV and eventually to Bedford, PA. My Goldwing Bud says to take Rt. 219 from Somerset, PA right up to Buffalo, NY. Plan is to get the Niagra Falls thing off the Bucket List. Looking to head north and would like info on Rt 104 & Rt 3 to Wellesley Island area? Something about Singer and Boldt Castle's on St. Lawrence. :confused24:

After that I need input please. What do we need to see while we are up there.

NOTE: MY GOAL on this trip is to teach my Yankee Brother's and Sister's about GRITS! :innocent:

Seriously though....with the time we have. What/Where should we go. TKS....

Long Tall

Lynchburg, VA

That's a tough one, soooo muxh to see and do! I would suggest a circular trip say like enter in Connecticutt into Rhode Island and Mass up to Maine then across New Hampshire and Vermont. I suggest spending a day or two in Mystic, CT.

What time of year are you doing this??

Long Tail, cant tell you a thing about 104 (or 3) from Buffalo to Rochester. I think it starts in the Rochester area actually. I would probably run 90 east to 390 to 590 to 104. However from Rochester on up, here goes.

104 is not to bad in the city at all and is well marked. You should have no problem. From Rachacha on through the route is well marked and a nice ride but nothing to scenic. (but I live here and see this type of area every day) A bit after Oswego comes Mexico and then take Rt. 3 (East) This will run along the lake (Ontario) and there are a few spots that offer a good view. Once in Jefferson County you may want to take a moment to stop in Sacketts Harbor. Very small town with a lot of history, some good food (bit touristy pricing however) and a nice view of the lake / harbor.

Now you are in my neck of the woods.

Depending on your schedule you can take 180 through Dexter to 12 (D?) to Cape Vincent and then to Clayton and up to Wellsley /Alexandria Bay /etc. In the A-Bay area Boldt Castle is a must see time permitting. You can get onto Wellsley Island via the T.I. Bridge and half of it is U.S. and then yew have the border crossing to Canada.

From Oswego to Vermont and even into Vermont I have a more than passing acquaintance with the area. I will be happy to help or advise in any way.

104 is a nice road to ride. But it is very straight and flat in areas, so watch out of speeders and last minute passers. Many accidents on the 104. Try to go through Rochester before or after noon. Stay away during rush hour. rt 3 up along the lake is a great ride. Stop in Clayton NY, Nice little town on the St.Lawrence. Very cool boat museum there. then check out Alex bay. Take the uncle sam boat tour to both Bolt Castle and Singer Island. Well worth it. Some Hotels in Alex Bay can be pricey. But if you can afford it the hotels on the water are the best. The hotels in town are ok. Have a Safe ride.

NOTE: MY GOAL on this trip is to teach my Yankee Brother's and Sister's about GRITS!

Um, do people actually enjoy grits? I know they eat them, but,,,, :thumbdown:

We Yankees have stuff to offer like Croghan Bologna, cheese curd, maple syrup,jerked pork, and the Rebels want us to eat grits?

How can the same part of the country that perfected barbeque ( which IS a noun and NOT a verb) still eat grits? :stirthepot:

Um, I am off work Thursday to Sunday every week. :whistling:

Some nice roads in the Adirondacks. Old Forge to Lake Placid is the area I am most familar with.

Sure you can't take a month?

Don't forget, the nights are already starting to get, cool.

NOTE: MY GOAL on this trip is to teach my Yankee Brother's and Sister's about GRITS!

Um, do people actually enjoy grits? I know they eat them, but,,,, :thumbdown:

We Yankees have stuff to offer like Croghan Bologna, cheese curd, maple syrup,jerked pork, and the Rebels want us to eat grits?

How can the same part of the country that perfected barbeque ( which IS a noun and NOT a verb) still eat grits? :stirthepot:

Um, I am off work Thursday to Sunday every week. :whistling:

Some nice roads in the Adirondacks. Old Forge to Lake Placid is the area I am most familar with.

Sure you can't take a month?

Don't forget, the nights are already starting to get, cool.

good point on the temps. Can get down in the 30's at night . Also don't forget Lake George. Just here a couple weeks ago.

I was looking at a ride in that area for next year, "but due to the International Ralley it will have to wait another year now". But I found a site that gives about any kind of info you want, made by people that live there for the most part. Check it out, you may find it very helpful, I have.

> For roads > http://www.newenglandriders.org/Great_Routes_and_Rides/Best_Motorcycle_Rides.htm

For things to see > http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestThingsToSee/BestThingsToSee.htm

For food > http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/Restaurants/BestRestaurants.htm

You get the picture, its all on their home page.

Bryan

Edited by bryan52577

That's a tough one, soooo muxh to see and do! I would suggest a circular trip say like enter in Connecticutt into Rhode Island and Mass up to Maine then across New Hampshire and Vermont. I suggest spending a day or two in Mystic, CT.

What time of year are you doing this??

Leaving on the 19th of September....About a week and a half to GO MODE...

Long Tall

We did a loop up thru that area 2 yrs ago. Bolt Castle is nice, Lake George, Lake Placid is nice area. Whiteface Mtn is a must see on a clear day. Ben & Jerry in Vt, if ya like Ice Cream! Mt Washington, Kangamongas Hwy, area is great in New Hampshire lots to see and do. WE shot over to Kennebunkport on the coast, neat area. If you have the time Bar Harbor is cool.

:080402gudl_prv: Craig

we have gone up to new england for the last three years starting from here in northwestern pa.we just love it .we stay in bennington vt. where they have a few covered bridges and a monument similar to the washington monument.from there we take rt 9 to brattleboro,very nice ride.rt 100 up through vt. takes you up through all the ski areas past the old vermont country store to ben and jerrys at stow, a very laid back scenic road.from there rt 2 over to rt 312 that takes you down through the mtns of new hampshire to north conway.here you will find mt washington auto road,one of our best thrills on a motorcycle,8 miles of road with no guard rails takes you up to 6388 ft. steep enough that you run first gear the whole way at the top you are above the clouds,breathtaking views all the way up and down.out at the coast we have been to bar harbor and down along the coast to our favorite town of gloucester mass.this is the town where they filmed the perfect storm movie,the harbor is beautiful and the food is great! enjoy the trip!

Used to live in RI. Done a lot of NE riding.

In RI the Newport mansions along Ocean Blvd are a sight.

Conn - Mystic Seaport is nice, Mystic Pizza is there along with lots of other old NE seaside charm

In Mass(Boston) there's Paul Revere's House, Old Ironsides, The North Church, Bunker Hill, etc... (if you are history buffs)

In NH Lake Winnapasaukee area(incuding Laconia) and White Mt's Nat Forest, including Mt Wash Auto Rd, Franconia Notch, Crawford Notch, etc.... North Conway is a quaint little NE town, but can be a bit touristy. The Kancamangus between Jackson/Conway and Lincoln is a nice ride. (Watch out for MOOSE!)

Any paht of thaa Maine coast from Portland tah Bah Hahba viahh Rt1A is a nice trip. Stop for some Lahbsta

If your gonna swim in the ocean, do it in Conn, RI, or Mass. The water temps might still be in the high 60's this time of year. Anything in NH or Maine(brrrrr) would be too cold for my old bones.

:080402gudl_prv:

sp!ke

Thanks to all of you all for your responses to Long Tall. I, too, am interested in a trip up in this area, but it will probably be next year if I can swing it. I had planned on it this year but the way the economy fell out, I had to use up my money that I saved for that trip on other things. Anyway I'm gonna mark this and keep this post handy for another time. Thanks again!!

Leaving on the 19th of September....About a week and a half to GO MODE...

Long Tall

If by some remote chance you are in Western New York then look us up! Nice time for the colors, I would recommend ddoing the northern New England states first then, and the southern ones last. It will stay warmer longer closer to the Atlantiuc ocean. While in Vermont do the road between Bennington and Brattleboro, very scenic that time of year...

There are covered bridges to see to the north in Vermont...