IGNORED

89 venture exhaust question

Hi there,

New guy here. I am looking for an 86-89 venture and have talked to one fellow about his. He said he removed the catalytic convertor. Would he be talking about the collection box do you think? Will the bike run OK without the collection box or does it need some sort of one? Looking back through older posts someone was making these....and you could still buy them from Yamaha dealers correct? Or am I out to lunch and there is a catalytic convertor? Thanks.

Barry

I have a 1985 Venture 1200 and there is a collection box, 4 exhausts in and 2 outlets but there isn't any catalytic converter.

There is someone making them and they are around $200-$300 as I recall. Depends if you get one made from Mild steel, stainless steel or ceramic coated.

I took mine off and welded new outlet pipes on and its been good now for 2/3 years.

:cool10:

Hope this helps

db

US spec 1st gen Ventures do not have a cat (dunno for sure about Canadian spec), but they do have a collector as already mentioned. He may have been referring to that. You need some sort of plumbing to get the 4 head pipes into the 2 mufflers, and that's where the Markspipes header-collector comes in. I've read posts from several members who have it and, correct me if I'm wrong, there was no trouble with the bike running well afterward.

I just had another thought. There are some baffles inside the collector that tend to break loose and rattle. Several members here have removed the collector, cut it open, removed the baffles entirely, and welded the collector back up with good results.

Jeremy

Thanks for all your help guys. I am getting confused because I am dealing with about 4 guys who want to sell me their bike. Each one has a different story, so things are a little mixed up. The venture that I have picked as the best, has had the mufflers replaced. Some sort of slip ons. Not sure of the brand, but when I get a look at the bike I will take a good look at the collector also.

Are the 1st generation colors listed on this site correct? A fellow has a 1989 and it appears red with some brown. This site states "Blue cocktail and graceful maroon" as the 1989 colors. Were there perhaps different colors for Canada....or maybe someone has painted it?

US spec 1st gen Ventures do not have a cat (dunno for sure about Canadian spec), but they do have a collector as already mentioned. He may have been referring to that. You need some sort of plumbing to get the 4 head pipes into the 2 mufflers, and that's where the Markspipes header-collector comes in. I've read posts from several members who have it and, correct me if I'm wrong, there was no trouble with the bike running well afterward.

I just had another thought. There are some baffles inside the collector that tend to break loose and rattle. Several members here have removed the collector, cut it open, removed the baffles entirely, and welded the collector back up with good results.

Jeremy

We pretty much follow US specs as far as I know and they are still assembled in Japan and ship here as is. I have an 84 (first gen) and just the collector. If anything, the only place I would think might have them and that were retrofitted, would be California with all their polution laws?

Correct me if I am wrong but having one would impair the engine performance a little would it not? I'm all for what is good for the environment but strictly speaking from a technical point of view, if it has one and you are allowed not to have one, I would say just remove it.

By the way...welcome to the forum!

Hello BJBoomer, I have a 89 royale with the graceful maroon, the sun has faded the paint that faces skyward some, but mine looks more of a silver/dusty rose color and the regular maroon on the sides. Looks very good like that. Don't know about any brown unless it got some reaction to waxes or something. Anyways welcome to the forum, Regards Ron:7_2_104[1]::wel_ani3Tay:

Thanks for all the welcomes and replies guys. I went and saw the 89 Venture today.....and came home with it, and a little travel trailer too. It was -14 Celcius, just a bit too cold to ride so I had to load them both on a flatbed trailer for the ride home. Can't wait for spring. Hope to attach a picture of the bike if I can figure this out.

Ya I know! I borrowed his picture from the ad. The ones I took on my cell phone just didn't do it justice so I couldn't post them. Once it warms up and I can get it outside and do a little work and exploring I will be able to post some new pics.

And HEY, I managed to get my ride under my name now!

Ya I know! I borrowed his picture from the ad. The ones I took on my cell phone just didn't do it justice so I couldn't post them. Once it warms up and I can get it outside and do a little work and exploring I will be able to post some new pics.

That is one of the better 1st gen colors that I like. That one looks very clean and in real good shape....looks like you did very good with it :happy34:

Yes I think I did alright also. It is really hard to buy a bike from one photo. So, we had quite a few telephone conversations. Some of the pinstripping is getting faded, one chip on the chrome piece surrounding headlight assembly, small rock chip in the head light glass (which I hope to seal up), and one small crack in the corner in the trunk rack. I will try and fibreglass that to prevent any spreading. Probably will need a new front tire this year yet also. Everything else is fine and works...at least by demo in his garage:confused24:

It was -14 Celcius, just a bit too cold to ride

...................................................................................................................

Hey, BJBoomer, that -14 sounds worse in Celcius than Fahrenheit! That's 6.8F, but if you do it in Kelvin it's 259, plenty warm to ride! :rotfl:

Oh yeah, http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_3_36.gif to the site! Kick your shoes off and sit a spell!

Yes they are aftermarket. Fellow thought they were California muffler but I found nothing on google for that name. There is a bit of a throaty rumble but haven't had it out for a spin to see if it is noticeable at highway speeds. I did a quick look today but did not see any names stamped on the mufflers. I will look again in the next day or two (weather depending) and see if I can spot a manufacturer.

Yes they are aftermarket. Fellow thought they were California muffler but I found nothing on google for that name. There is a bit of a throaty rumble but haven't had it out for a spin to see if it is noticeable at highway speeds. I did a quick look today but did not see any names stamped on the mufflers. I will look again in the next day or two (weather depending) and see if I can spot a manufacturer.

Mufflers could be Jardines, not sure in they still make for 1st gens, or not.

• 2 weeks later...