IGNORED

GW Trike Turn Signal/rear lighting issue

StarUmp

I just got our "new" 2003 GW with 2007 Motor Trike Conversion home. What a fantastic 2700 mile ride! Love our RSV, but the GW trike is just that step above.

Now the problem; when I use the turn signals both of them flash on the dash board like the emergency flashers are on. The front turn signals are fine the correct side flashes, but the entire back is messed up. Everything flashes, the volume of light put out by the rear lights is almost un-seeable and when apply the breaks the turn indicators on the dash light up. I've jacked up the bike and looked under it to see if I could see anything obvious (I know never that easy). The bike wasn't ridden much for about a year before I got it. I first thought of dirty contacts letting voltage through both sides of the switch, but now with the break lighting them up I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

I would suspect if it has a trailer wiring harness on it that it is jacked up (not the first trike tail/turn signal wiring I have heard of being messed up) I would start with the add on wiring harness if it has one if not lift the seat and look at how the wiring is hooked up most of the tail light wiring is on the right side of the bike.

Jeff

I am 100% in agreement with Muffinman on this and it was my first thought as I was reading your post.

Your GW probubly had a trailer wireing harness at one time, and when the converted it to a trike, they messed up the wiring.

Good place to start.. :thumbsup2:

Thanks for the input! I phoned the Honda Dealer where I bought it and their trike guy was gone for the long weekend, but the mechanic I spoke with said he would start there too. I'll get under it and see what I find and let y'all know the outcome.

George

Thanks for the input! I phoned the Honda Dealer where I bought it and their trike guy was gone for the long weekend, but the mechanic I spoke with said he would start there too. I'll get under it and see what I find and let y'all know the outcome.

George,

If you lived just a little bit closer, I would help you, but your a bit far from me..

Here is wishing you luck for an easy find on the root of the problem..:thumbsup2:

Disconnected the trailer wiring and still have the problem. It has to be a ground, but where? I was thinking about taking off the bike trunk to see if anything was routed between the two trunks. But before I do has anyone heard of wires being routed between the trunks? If not there is a Motor Trike Dealer about an hour from me I can always run up the white flag and take it to them next week. I just hate to not be able to figure it out.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

OK, I gave up and went to an independent shop that only works on Goldwings. From what the owner says there is a ground under the seat that got fried. From what he told me this particular ground point is known for this problem. Anyway, left it on Friday afternoon and picked it up Saturday morning, all fixed and ready to ride. :cool10:

I just saw this post, My 2003 GW I had did the exact same thing. Took it to the dealer (warranty) and it was a plug at the wire harness under the seat at the far rear of the seat that wasn't plugged in all the way and melted and melted part of the harness. I had a CB installed and all that was taken apart and Honda figured the tech did not plug it in all the way. Honda made the dealership strip the bike to the bare frame and replace the entire wiring harness (one piece) from front to back....Good Luck.