IGNORED

1999 RSV Trunk

rmiddleton5474

Hello all, Well my 1999 RSV trunk has finally blown apart. A couple of years ago the plastic around the two rear screws shattered, used some JB weld and put it back together. Well, you guessed it, the JB weld only last so long.

Does anyone have one they want to get rid of? Or, a good source for one? new they are about $575, found one on ebay for $120.

Also, wasn't there a "recall" from Yamaha and they added a steel plate on the bottom of the inside of the trunk?

Thanks ahead of time.

Hello all, Well my 1999 RSV trunk has finally blown apart. A couple of years ago the plastic around the two rear screws shattered, used some JB weld and put it back together. Well, you guessed it, the JB weld only last so long.

Does anyone have one they want to get rid of? Or, a good source for one? new they are about $575, found one on ebay for $120.

Also, wasn't there a "recall" from Yamaha and they added a steel plate on the bottom of the inside of the trunk?

Thanks ahead of time.

Not sure if there was a recall, but the plates and rubber cushions were added as "standard" on later models, for reinforcement.

By 2001 they all had the reinforcement plates on them, the '99 and '00 years had kits to retrofit them. I have a rear trunk base for a 2nd gen, but it will have to be painted to match your bike. The one for $575 will be a factory matched paint job, and to be honest with you, unless you are very handy with a paint gun and have a place to do it. Your probably realistically looking at $500 to buy a bottom, the paint, take it in, and have it painted. This is unless the one your looking at on eBay is already in the color you want....

:2cents:

Wrecked the Broom and the trunk cracked like an egg. All that's left is the lock, trim around the lock and the foam bottom and a few other bits. Most expensive part for the repair on the bike. Looks like I'm buying a new one.............

The speakers and back rest are in fine shape :)

I've been looking at Pinwall. May actually take a ride to see the part in person.

Thanks!

Edited by MJ44

I purchased mine form Pinwall. A little pricy but great service and the paint matched my '99. They list several with the seat back and speakers. They may break them down for you if you give them a call. They also list a trunk bottom that appears to have cracks repaired. It may hold together with the reinforcement kit. Good Luck!