IGNORED

Radio Intermittent

jcturner3

Has anyone had any issues with intermittent play from the stereo? No matter what I have selected; CD Changer, AM, FM, Cassette (yes, I still have some), AUX (iPod)--nothing will play. If I leave the unit on as I'm riding down the road, the sound will come up to volume for a bit then go away again. It is not a connectivity issue because, if I turn up the volume all the way, I can hear the music on the selected source. The CB works just fine. I have the fairing split while I tourbleshoot this. I wiggled all the connections to make sure there isn't a loose connector. I put some dielectric grease on some of the connections that needed to be zip-tied before I resecured them.

It's possible this problem came up since the last time I washed the bike. I was thinking possibly water got in somewhere and is grounding a connection??? I'm grasping at straws now. I've ridden this bike in torrential downpours and hailstorms in the high plains so it's seen its fair share of water.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

BTW-I have a 2nd Gen '99...

Thanks...

That has been a constant problem with my Venture for over two years. I think it is finally rectified after the Hannigan installation.

Check every connector on the bike for the stereo, CB etc. They were corroded and very poorly made and were the cause of most of the problems for me. Also the dealer had to replace the head unit (left handlebar). It's been working fine for three months now.....knock on wood!

Definatly sounds like a connector problem to me. Does it work with headsets? Or do you have the same problem. I understand there is a connector extension for lack of better discriprion under the passenger seat too. I have had speakers in a car do simular thing. They ground out or loose connection but still send a weak signal. I think your looking in the right direction.

Pull the fairing, in there you will find a bundle of round connectors with color bands. Pull each one apart and put some electrically conductive grease (nooxid) on it. Then put them together and pull them a part a few times to clean off any oxidation. Also check to see if the CB is on. When ever the CB picks up it will turn the radio or whatever down.What he said below is true. You want to seal the lips of the rubber matiing surface with Dielectric grease

Edited by BuddyRich

OOPS I'm in trouble then. I had some MOPAR di-eltric grease and took all them apart a few months back and put grease on the pins and parts. Everything still works, so maybe I didnt muck it up as bad as I think.:confused24:

I find the volume is still intermittent regardless if it's in speaker or headset mode. I have tried it with the CB both on and off and have adjusted the intercom and auto volume levels. As I had already stated, the fairing is already split. I have not checked te connector under the passenger seat, but those under the fairing are zip-tied. I'm guessing my next step is cutting off zip-ties and working the connections. The beauty of dielectric grease is that it IS conductive and will transmit signals, so no worries there.

Thanks for the replies thus far. It gives me places to look and new things to consider. Keep em coming!

Still working it...

Guest tx2sturgis
the grease is non conductive and goes on the seal not on the pins.

Incorrect, the grease is SUPPOSED to be in contact with the metal conductors, it needs to be there to do its job of keeping moisture from ever touching the metal, and to reduce oxidation of the metal and having that cause intermittent problems. It is non-conducting so it cant cause any shorting between the conductors or pins.

djh3, you're fine.

• 2 weeks later...
That has been a constant problem with my Venture for over two years. I think it is finally rectified after the Hannigan installation.

Check every connector on the bike for the stereo, CB etc. They were corroded and very poorly made and were the cause of most of the problems for me. Also the dealer had to replace the head unit (left handlebar). It's been working fine for three months now.....knock on wood!

What is the Hannigan installation?

Ryan

My radio is giving me trouble and it is not always the same symptoms.

Often is locks up completely or locks up partially. At times I will not be able to change channels or change settings. It does not seem to follow any pattern although I think it is better when you shut the key off and back on. Sometimes it will not play at all. Often times FM or AM stations will cut out when I open the throttle and immediately come back on when I let off (kinda sounds like a loose connection on this symptom).

I turned on my key and ran through all of the connectors, putting dielectric grease on all the plugs and pins. When I got to the Yellow connector, when I unplugged it, the stereo sound came up to volume. I plugged it back in, the volume went back down. Unplugged it, it came back up. Hmmm...now to figure out what is impacted by having the Yellow connector unplugged and what I need to do to fix the (short?...blown fuse?). Does anyone know if the cassette deck has a separate fuse? I tried the AM/FM and CD with no impact. I did not have a cassette to check to see if it is that or the AUX.

Is the Yellow connector the same one I would have plugged my Buddy Rich cable into along with the 1/8" connector to play my GPS MP3s through the AUX? I went in and took out the Buddy Rich setup because, when I tried to make phone calls through my Zumo 550 bluetooth, the distant end could hear me, but I couldn't hear who I was calling (a separate issue entirely).

Okay...here's what I've found on my intermittent stereo investigation so far...:detective:

I have intermittent full volume on my Venture stereo on all settings (AM, FM, AUX, Cassette, CD Changer. The CB works. I split the fairing and worked all the cable plugs to make sure I didn't have any corrosion on them then I coated the fittings with dielectric grease. I then turned on the key and the sound was barely audible when turned all the way up...regardless of whether it was thru speakers or headset. I went back thru the cable plugs while I had the key turned on and the stereo on. When I unplugged the "yellow" cable, I got full volume. When I plugged it back in the volume went down. Unplugged, it came back. I checked the wiring schematic in the factory shop manual and found the plug in question was for the CB. A quick check at the control pod on the left handlebar confirmed the CB would not power up with the "yellow" plug disconnected. Now I am perplexed.:confused07:

Could it be a blown fuse that is causing this issue? It doesn't make sense to me because I have operation when the problem is isolated. If a fuse was blown, I wouldn't have power period...right? After seeing Buddy Rich's comment, I think it could be the CB cutout that is stuck in the on position, however, the squelch and whether the CB is on or off do not make a difference...only if the "yellow" connector under the front fairing is completely disconnected.

I'm at a loss...any ideas apart from leaving the CB disconnected? :confused24:

I need my CB for group rides (hand signals are lost on some folks).

I'm thinking I'm looking at buying a new control pod for the left handlebar. Thoughts?

Thanks for your inputs so far...

Edited by jcturner3

This sounds crazy but the momentary passenger talk button was stuck in a pushed in condition and I was having problems with my radio. When I pulled it out, problem was solved. This isn't a button that is not checked all the time.

Hope you find the gremlin.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried it with the CB plugeed in and powered off and the stereo volume is still down. Even with the CB turned off, when I unplug the CB connector under the fairing, the volume comes up to normal. I have checked the passenger push-to-talk and it was not stuck "in".

I checked Bike Bandit and the left handlebar control pod for the stereo is $664! :rotf:

My next move is to remove seats and check wiring and work plugs there.

Anyone advice on where to look next...besides a new bike? :whistling:

Check an electronics store for some bullet connector cleaners, they have many different sizes and they have small brushes inside or outside for the male and female, all you need to do is a wipe and spray some contact cleaner on both ends. While out inspect the pins and wires for any loose pin's, you could have one pushing back on you and if not tightly seated it will cause an intermittent problem.

If you looked in the fairing and checked the round and two white square connectors for any green, mine ended up with a green pin in the square white connection, next pull the seats and check those connections under the seat.

Inspect the wires, follow them and look for any chafing or move while the radio is on to see if you have any crackling to indicate a short. If all that is good it could be a cold solder joint in a controller.

• 1 year later...

My bike is still under warranty so the dealer has ordered a new radio unit because mine will come on and off intermittently as well as change from radio to CB without any prompts from my side as if it were possessed. The other day the wife and I were enjoying a nice ride through the twists and turns along the Pacific coast highway when all of a sudden the graduation march started playing through the speakers at full volume. Not only could I not turn it off but I couldn't even turn it down so here goes this rig blasting this music while passing through quiet little towns. Needless to say but it felt a little embarrassing.

If you get a new radio under warranty you will have the same problem again sometime. The fix for this is to go into the fairing and clean and grease the three big connectors. My radio did this a few months after I purchased it new in Sept 2005. Took it to the dealer and he was going to get the radio replaced under warranty. He called Clarion who makes the radio and was told to split the fairing and grease the connectors. I have to do this about every other year. It is a pain in the butt to have to do this but it is the way it is.

since I had my Hannigan kit installed, I too have had this intermittent radio.

The installer called Yamaha and they told him amplifier is bad. So, he is going to send it tonClarion to have it repaired, at his cost.

This doesn't make sense to me that it would happen during the conversion, but we will let Clarion decide if the amp is bad. - I still think it a connection or something grounding out, etc.. But I admit that I am an amateur at this wiring stuff.

We will see.