IGNORED

Saddlebag Locks

Joopster55

Hey guys & gals, I was taking off my saddlebags today, got the right side off, opened the lid, took off the 4 bolts, no problem. However, left side, I couldn't get the lid open. Somehow, the locking mechanism has broken. Any of you know how to open the lid with the lock broken? :think: I tried just about everything I could without taking a sledge hammer to it. Any suggestions?

:canada::7_6_3[1]::canada:

It's likely not broken. Those mechanisms tend to stick and not work properly. It's all metal sliding on metal that works the catches and no grease to help.

I just kept working with mine until it finally opened. Press the button and push/bang the lid and sides in the area of the latches hoping the metal will slide and the latches let go. There may be a better way, but this worked and I didn't look any further.

After getting it open, use some white grease on the latches where they slide metal on metal. Makes 'em better than new. In the pics below, I didn't have any white lithium and just used axle/bearing grease until I could get some.

Guest KitCarson

Hey that is a pain for sure!! I still have Cricket for a day or two...just went out and looked at the bags........it is not a single latch......the actuator button is linked and the bags have two separate catches. So sliding a wire up inside will not work with these........I will take some precise measurements this evening.......looking at the thing......I think maybe the spring on the actuator bar has snapped.....if so the latches will never move. But if worse comes to worse and it simply cannot be opened......a small 3/16 inch hole could be drilled at a precise location(2) and a welding rod or something of that nature stuck over (make a hook in it and do a little fishing) and each latch pulled towards you(latches are naturally on the bike side way over there) might be the only solution......even drilling out the lock will not work if that spring is broken........one suggestion first..........use inertia......put a small piece of plywood.......like two inches square on top of the push lock button.......hold down with one hand on the top of the lid.......carefully with force but not enough to break anything....smack the wood block with a large faced rubber mallet....if the latches are just stuck.....that should use physics to your advantage...if that does not do it..........yep will have to access each latch and pull it to you......the fill the small holes and use touch up paint.

Actually I was thinking backwards.........no hook required.....just a long rod......you have to push not pull.......each latch lid was open and I was looking at it backwards.

When I showed up at Eureka Springs a couple of years ago I had a bag that would not open.

The bags were stuffed full of clothes etc. Eck and I finally pried the lid up enough to see that there was a shoe against the lock. It was letting one side of the lock open but holding the other side tight. We finally got a broom handle in between the lid and the bag and after several tries the lock let loose. You must be patient.

AND I had to fight Eck off the whole time because he kept wanting to use his grinder on the lock, that wore me out more then opening the bag.

Good Luck,

Jerry

As has been said white lithium helps. But 1st you have to get it open,lol

When this happens to me(and it still does at times cause I put in too much stuff),I can usually get it open by pushing in on the bag and pushing the latch and pulling up all at once. Takes a helper or 2 but has worked so far.

Stand at the back of the bike and sight down the inside of the bag --make sure the lid is straight with the lower bag. :080402gudl_prv:

Had that happen to me in Myrtle Beach a few years back on my 03. It turned out to be my jacket stopping the front latch from releasing. Since my back latch was releasing I could pry the back up far enough to push the jacket out of the way. Are both of your latches holding? If it’s only one latch you might be able to pry it like I did. If both of your latches are stuck then just be patient with it and you will figure out a way. If all else fails you might want to remove the pin on the hinge. I have never done this but it looks like it could be done without damaging the plastic. Good luck with it I hope you get it open without the use of a sledge or 20 pound jack hammer.

Well....I got the lid opened today.:clap2:

Using two pry bars, got them wedged in there. Damn plastic is tough, she popped open.:sign woo hoo:

Took the bag off the bike to have a better look. Mechanism was not moving when pushed in the button. Put the key into the lock, turned it and pushed, it moved perfectly. Soooo, all this time the bag was locked!!!!!!!!:doh::bang head:

Thankfully, nothing broke, will apply white lithium grease, put her back together.

While I was at it, I installed the HD lights at the back. Thanks to Freebird and Tarten Terror for the info on installation. Worked like a charm first time. Thanks guys.:clap2:

:canada::7_6_3[1]::canada:

Did you try the key?

Hey, I'm just askin.

:cool10:

Ummmm!

To make you feel better your not the first. Glad you got it open without damaging the bags.......Expensive!

If one can't laugh at oneself one can't laugh at others.