IGNORED

Lower Temp Fan Switch

Like many, I noticed my water temp gets very close to the redline before the fan kicks in. Once it does, it cools down nicely but I feel more comfortable with the fan coming on at a lower temperature.

The thread for the switch is 16m x 1.5. Using that info, I did some searching. I found a good cheap alternative on ebay that switches on the fan significantly earlier than the stock one. The one I got was from a 1988 Chevy Sprint, part number Beck Arnley 201-1367. It is normally open.

Opens @ 185 Deg. F; Closes @ 194 Deg. F

Fits in with no problem and works like a charm. Fan comes on a lot more but the water temps don't get over half way up the temp gauge. It cost me 5 bucks plus shipping. Just cut off the connector and add a couple of flat, male connectors and they will fit right into the stock harness.

Here's a pic;

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mkooBtkIH-fJevn12Jx82sQ/140.jpg

Edited by JoeKanuck
Edited for temp correction...added a photo.

Cool mod, gives a guy a little peace of mind....

I think most guys in here are of the opinion that the needle in the temp guages on most G1 Ventures is set to show the engine as running hotter than it is.If it was me I wouldnt worry about putting a switch on the fan. I used to worry about it when I first bought the bike, but ive never had an issue even in temps well over 100F (39C) Mine runs right on the edge of the redline and the fan cools it down right away, but Ive never heard my coolant bubbling in the over flow tank so its not getting too hot.

Brian

Edited by friesman

i changed my thermostat out to day and put one in it from napa.The thermostat part number is 156. it is 180 degree. the needle gets close the red and the fan comes on . when the fan came on i took my temp gun took the temp it was 186 then it drop to 180 and the fan stop..So i figer 3/4 of the way is 180 degrees. what do anyone think or have to add.

I was never worried about overheating but I like to keep my engine temps close to one value when warmed up. It was warmer than I wanted it...and I really don't need any more heat beaming up from my engine on a hot day.

I have noticed that when I'm on the road, the temp never gets much above 1/3. That is probably the point where the thermostat opens. That is below where my new fan switch kicks in but my fan will run full time in heavy traffic.

With the new switch, the gauge doesn't get much higher than half way...which is probably close to where the thermostat is fully open.

I like it better now. It was so cheap and easy I thought I'd share.

Joe, Your mod is nice. The stock coolant thermostat is 180F. The fan switch stock is over 200F. With my VR on 90F days sitting at an exit ramp with 20 cars ahead of me...all waiting for the light to turn green...my fan would kick on and not stop till I was movng. So, 20 years ago I installed a manual switch because the fan KICKS ON by simply being grounded. I use it when I might get stuck in traffic as described. 10 years ago I modified the thermostat. FYI- the early thermostats have a screw in the center...this is how they are SET for the "opening spec." Thus, Using a good screwdiver...you simply turn that screw clockwise. Making the screw sit flush, My coolant thermostat now starts to open @165F. So it's impossible for my bike to run too hot.

Joe, Your mod is nice. The stock coolant thermostat is 180F. The fan switch stock is over 200F. With my VR on 90F days sitting at an exit ramp with 20 cars ahead of me...all waiting for the light to turn green...my fan would kick on and not stop till I was movng. So, 20 years ago I installed a manual switch because the fan KICKS ON by simply being grounded. I use it when I might get stuck in traffic as described. 10 years ago I modified the thermostat. FYI- the early thermostats have a screw in the center...this is how they are SET for the "opening spec." Thus, Using a good screwdiver...you simply turn that screw clockwise. Making the screw sit flush, My coolant thermostat now starts to open @165F. So it's impossible for my bike to run too hot.

Just my :2cents: but @ 165 on the colder months the engine will be running too cool as it is designed with a 180 degree thermostat to run a minimum of 180. :stirthepot: