IGNORED

Victim of hostal corporate take over

Dragonslayer

BOB.....sorry had to get your attention. I am also a driver. I love it. I worked for Cummins for almost 8 years and got tired of punching the timeclock everyday. That was 9 years ago. I trained with Schneider and after 4 months running over the road I was hired by a local company for a linehaul gig. I work nights running from Minneapolis to Des Moines and back.60-65k a yr.Home everyday and off on the weekends. If you would rather run days there's always pick up and delivery work and that pays around $20hr on average. There are LTL companies everywhere just like the one I work for and the industry is always looking for drivers. There's nothing written in the truck driver handbook that says you have to live in a truck. It's a lifestyle choice and it very much depends on the person. One thing I have noticed over the years is that ex-military personnel thrive on the over the road stuff if that is any indication. I think it has to do with self discipline. You should also check with your unemployment office about training. One of our drivers was in your situation and was given training at a local tech school paid for by the state!!! He collected unemployment while the state paid for his schooling!!! If you have questions feel free to give me a call, I will slap on the bluetooth and chat you up. I'm on the road from 8pm to about 4am m-f nights. 763-670-6667. Good luck, Ray:080402gudl_prv:
Ray,

Thanks for the info, I'll check out what you suggested. Based on the info received so far I'm going to check out local CDL programs. I'm weighing out local and regional driving options. I'm thinking by the hour may be a more secure route than pennies a mile. The school thing in Indianapolis is saying 17 1/2 cents per mile which doesn't sound like a lot especially if you have to struggle up the ladder for decent trips/loads.

Guy, I like others trucked for 12 years before changing carreers and getting on the with the State Police. Just like Snaggletooth, Rick Haywood, Playboy and others stated some of these over-the-road companies treat people like a third world nation. In my opinion, if they have a "help wanted" add on their trailer doors you really don't want to work for them. Most have a huge amount of turnover.

I know that sounds discouraging, but its the truth.

If it were me, I would not go to a driving school. Just like previously stated, you'll spend alot of time riding and very little actual driving time for a nominal fee. Also, those carriers advertising in house training will require you to live in a cab with someone for who knows how long while you learn to driver, etc. Might be a good guy or someone who s..ts in a shoe book every night.

I was lucky and used the military to get my cdl before I got out and i was willing to work for FREE for a local company in Summerville, S.C. on Saturdays before I got out of the Navy just to get experience. Afterwards, I had a descent job hauling equipment locally and home every night. Some people will say that's crazy. But, your gonna pay with your time or money and sometimes both to get into it. It just depends on which one you got more off.

I have no grips about my years trucking...loved most of it. Trucking locally and over-the-road. I would consider finding an owner-operator and pay them to teach you how to drive which in itself may lead to a descent job. Good luck......

Guy, I like others trucked for 12 years before changing carreers and getting on the with the State Police. Just like Snaggletooth, Rick Haywood, Playboy and others stated some of these over-the-road companies treat people like a third world nation. In my opinion, if they have a "help wanted" add on their trailer doors you really don't want to work for them. Most have a huge amount of turnover.

I know that sounds discouraging, but its the truth.

If it were me, I would not go to a driving school. Just like previously stated, you'll spend alot of time riding and very little actual driving time for a nominal fee. Also, those carriers advertising in house training will require you to live in a cab with someone for who knows how long while you learn to driver, etc. Might be a good guy or someone who s..ts in a shoe book every night.

I was lucky and used the military to get my cdl before I got out and i was willing to work for FREE for a local company in Summerville, S.C. on Saturdays before I got out of the Navy just to get experience. Afterwards, I had a descent job hauling equipment locally and home every night. Some people will say that's crazy. But, your gonna pay with your time or money and sometimes both to get into it. It just depends on which one you got more off.

I have no grips about my years trucking...loved most of it. Trucking locally and over-the-road. I would consider finding an owner-operator and pay them to teach you how to drive which in itself may lead to a descent job. Good luck......

Thanks for sharing