IGNORED

Stebel Nautilus compact air horn

Guys,

A while back I installed a Stebel Nautilus on a friend's 99 using Carbon One's bracket. After I installed and heard it, I got to thinking this horn would work great under a saddle bag or inside the fairing. But when I looked over the instructions again, I beleive I read that this horn must be mounted vertical or 15 degrees from vertical.

Is this in fact one of the restrictions on mounting this horn? Because a friend of mine just recently bought a used 2000 and I noticed that the OEM horn was not connected. When I asked him about it, he said he wasn't sure what it was but it was loud and mounted in the fairing.

Well I'm helping him replace the fork springs and when I took the front clowling off I found a Wolo Bad Boy tie wraped to the frame next to the radio (see attached).

What I'm asking, for those of you who are familiar with mounting this horn, should I relocated it to the right side in place of the OEM horn or just leave it where it is.

Thanks,

Rick

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/8894-500x600.jpg

They look a lot alike but it appears they have the horns 180 degrees from each other. Other than that they look like the same unit. And the Stebel does say it must be mounted like you said. I mounted mine underneath the bike to the bolt holes in the frame where the rear AIS was . That kept it level and outside where it was loud

Actually the ugly sticker would be very hard to see as it would point to the engine... apply a little heat, and the sticker will probally peal off.

The manufacturer probably wants the horn in the vertical so any condensation will drain out.... but I am guessing....

I would lave it where it is, but wold probably mount it more rigidly, zip ties to hold that heavy of a unit is unsatisfactory in my book...... also the floating relay on the right of the photo is unsatisfactory!!!!!

Guys,

Is this in fact one of the restrictions on mounting this horn? Because a friend of mine just recently bought a used 2000 and I noticed that the OEM horn was not connected. When I asked him about it, he said he wasn't sure what it was but it was loud and mounted in the fairing.

What I'm asking, for those of you who are familiar with mounting this horn, should I relocated it to the right side in place of the OEM horn or just leave it where it is.

Thanks,

Rick

I believe I can give you a definitive answer to this, based on my personal experience with these compressors and the horn instructions. The concern here is the problem of road debris and other things getting sucked into the compressor and then stuck in the reed valve inside the horn. If you look at the instructions that come with the Nautilus, you will see several pictures depicting this problem. They also provide an attachment that you can use to attach an intake hose and route it to a protected place. In addition, other air horns with this type of compressor but non-attached trumpets specify the mounting orientation of the compressor to keep the air intake on top.

When I put the first set of air horns on my 05 RSV, I just wasn't paying much attention, and the mounting I chose for the compressor was with the air intake on the bottom (right where the stock horn is on the right side of the bike). That horn worked well for a couple of thousand miles, then one of the trumpets stopped working. I replaced them with another set I had sitting around, and the same thing happened. I was able to fix them by using my air compressor and blasting very high pressure air through the bad trumpets repeatedly until the obstruction was forced out of the reed. That is when I finally remembered about the correct mounting of the air compressor. If you put it upside down, normal wind and road spray lets crud collect near the opening, then when you use it next, all the stuff is sicked into the compressor.

Based on all of the above, I believe that mounting these horns inside the fairing would be safe in any position, since the fairing should adequately protect the air intake. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Back when I installed my Stebel, I called their info line for just that same reason of why it should be installed vertially and not laying down. Their answer was so debris and WATER, which is this units worst enemy can easily drain out when washing your bike or running it through heavy downpours. IF it is installed in a protected area like inside your fairing, it may be laying horizontally as long as the trumpet is pointing down so any water that might get in can escape easily. Brian

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/briantheriault01/Picture033.jpg