IGNORED

3 MC's down in 23 days

Condor

3 MC's down in 3 days

While coming back from Home Depot two days ago I passed by an accident scene where a kid on a 'crotch rocket' had gone down. Ambulances were on the scene. The rider looked like he was OK, but with a bandaged up right ankle and sitting on the curb. I shook my head and kept going. The next day we had a fatality involving a MC in a pile up out on Hwy 65 north. Then this morning I heard about this one on the radio down in Vallejo.

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_7997794?source=most_viewed

Are all these kids brain dead???

Guest KitCarson

They are simply young and full of life. It is very sad that some must pay the price for simply being alive and pushing the envelope past the tear point. The things you see them do......I have done when I was young.....I was just simply lucky and survived...everyone on this site has taken a street bike up past 120 mph at one time or the other.......I used to race them on the track.....but one time took a Harley Electro Glide up past 115.....was pushing it for more.......when it went into a high speed wobble.......I got it under control....and from that day.......I had more sense than to do that...some simply do not ever get the chance..........

About 6 years ago I had my ole 82 XJ1100 tooling along in 5th gears turning about 8300 rpm. I had no idea how fast that was, but it would bury the 85 mph speedo in 2nd. As I was coming around a curve on the interstate, the handlebars starting wobbling pretty bad. I was wearing a tank top, shorts, and sandals. It took 2 lanes and part of the break down lane to stop the wiggle. My butthole was pretty puckered up during the incident. After that, I vowed to only go really damn fast in a straight line!!!!:rotf:

I have since then broken that vow many times!!!

On that bike, 8300 rpms in fifth gear would have to be about 135 mph.

The '81 XS1100 I had wouldn't allow you to get even close to that. Anything above about 90 mph and it would get unstable. It had a full fairing with bags and trunk. I always blamed it on wind turbulence.

Pardon my insensitivity but when you ride reckless you multiply the chances of disaster. At 130 mph its only a matter of time. Its like standing on an archery range and trying to dodge an arrow. I feel sorry for the families but not for him. A few years ago we had a young man die here. He had just had a new born and then it happened. He was riding rediculously fast and coming off a traffic circle. A woman was making a left turn and at the time into a shopping center about 200 ft beyond the exit of the traffic circle. The bike ( Crotch Rocket) came off the circle in a wheelie and hit the car on the passenger door. At first everyone was calling for the woman to be punished but fact of the matter is when the woman started her turn there was no oncoming traffic. Front wheel of the bike also hit the roof of the car first. I feel the woman was at no fault. How can you avoid something that you cant see and is traveling more thatn twice the speed limit. I feel bad for the family but that guy in my opinion committed suicide!

I was a knucklehead when I was a kid. Rode my bike like it was on fire. I even had the pleasure of a high speed wobble on my friend's Honda 750. Scared the crap out of me.

As bad as I was, there were others that would push the envelope beyond belief. Those were the guys who aren't with us anymore.

when i was young i spent alot of time at 100 plus mph and would race anything that came along.now i'm old and haven't changed much.just don't do it as often,and i won't race kids.would like to be able to do 200mph on a motorcycle just one time, and turn an 8 second quarter mile.may just make it before the year is up.at least i'm working on it. :)

As sad as it is, but Folks ....

think back ...

The Term 'Crotch Rocket' wasn't even invented at the Time most of you (us) got on to Motorcycles. The Bikes in our Youth have been fast for these Time, sometimes they have been too fast even in these Years.

As for me, i'm sure if today's Bikes would have been out there back then and somehow affordable for me, i would have done the same and even more stupid Things. Please face it and consider this, even when not pronounced loud.

Yes, those 'Kids' are stupid and put not only their Lives at Risk, but if i would obey any Speed Limit, riding wouldn't be the same for me. I bought my first full Bike(CX500turbo) just because i couldn't afford a Car with that Acceleration. I've ridden smaller Bikes(50cc/18hp) before, but i wasn't addicting enough when i got my Car License in the Age of 18. Only the Perfomance and the outstanding Technique of that Bike brought me back in Business.

Well, i've nothing to regret. And i admit to ride faster that i'm allowed and/or as i should every singe Time i get on the Bike. The Reason i'm still alive is a Mixture of Luck and a good Sensivity for upcoming Situations while riding. One could call this a Nose for Radars, stupid Cagers and dangerous Situations.