Whats the cost? As in the plasticy thingy that senses what gear your in.

I was wondering if that was starting to kick the bucket, as the bike after a long ride (60 miles actually) the neutral light will flicker like bonkers, then go out, and the cms gear # goes away. Gear # also goes away in 2nd gear at times before all this, and now 1st.

I'm guessing its time to replace it, yea?

The plastic plate with the gear position contacts on it has a pretty long life... the spring and in in the engine block that rotates and contacts each contact appropriately has a limited life, I would look at simply replacing those two... you will be needing the middle gear gasket and some patience!

Mike

*snort*

I can't buy anything for my Venture at our nearest Yamaha dealer. Except spark plugs, and gaskets. Now if I go to this shop in Madera, their not even a Yamaha Dealer, but they can find stuff for me... like ahem, new tires. Woo :) and a old dead 92 VR with a water shocked engine.

If'n you can get into it (I know, difficult without pulling the motor.....) you can try cleaning the crap out of the contacts and make sure the tip coming from inside makes a good contact,,,,,,

MAY fix the "problem"........

Hydro-locked ???:shock3::confused24:

That Venture they got sat for two years without spark plugs. Muchless the holes covered.

Supposedly even had a nest inside too.

Thanks Dano.

I'd like to try something at least. Because when the Neutral Light clears (and I know I'm geared for neutral), and it no longer says so on the CMS, putting the kickstand down kills the engine. Its a bit of a concern. I'm hoping it also doesn't possibly effect the tci's timing advances.

Putting the kick stand down will always kill the engine.... Safety feature. Try pulling the middle gear cover off and you'll see the sensor sitting in there on the engine block. The screws may have loosened. Try pulling them one at a time and put a little loc-tight on the threads. Then snug them back down. Not to tight or you'll break the plastic board and get an oil leak... Not a good thing....