IGNORED

trailer vs camper

warriorhoneybee

well here goes, i want to get back into camping and don't know which way to go. a pull behind camper would be nice, motels are probably cheaper but not as much fun minus the rain and a cargo trailer could be used for camping of for long road trips. if i go with the cargo trailer i don't know if I'm still able or willing to sleep on the ground. please give any info you can,thanks.:bluesbrother:

well here goes, i want to get back into camping and don't know which way to go. a pull behind camper would be nice, motels are probably cheaper but not as much fun minus the rain and a cargo trailer could be used for camping of for long road trips. if i go with the cargo trailer i don't know if I'm still able or willing to sleep on the ground. please give any info you can,thanks.:bluesbrother:

The wife and I still tent camp and enjoy it. I use my trailer to haul it all and have a queen size air mattress to sleep on. Nothing better than the smell of coffee early in the morning at the campsite. Plus I enjoy the people who always seem to come around and want to talk about the bike and how in the world we carried everything we did. :thumbsup2:

Bunkhouse is the way to go.Lots of cargo space and sets up quickly.You can get a small ACunit for less than $100.And they hold up good and stay dry in hurricane like weather,just ask Painterman,he has my old one.

You want a novel written back don't you. Got back into camping a couple of years ago with a 6 person tent and queen air mattress. It was fun, but getting up and down to set the tent up and take down and to sleep was a little hard on this old guy. I already had the cargo trailer. Bought an 04 Aspen Classic a year ago ( 4th of July weekend) and we are going to use it at the International this year. Should be alot easier. A friend who had both for years said he wished he had never sold his cargo trailer. There is to many times when you wish you had the other to use. Short weekend trips to VR events where everyone is staying in a hotel the trailer comes in handy. Having the camper for the same reason is handy also. What I'm trying to say is that maybe 2 used trailers instead of 1 new one may be in order. Decisions....:bang head: :080402gudl_prv:

Mark,

I personally haven't pulled a camper, but there are a few here that have. Some of the set ups are pretty sweet, even set up with a hole for an AC, which for me would be a must have when riding in the summer.

I can't "Tent" camp anymore, my back wont take it, but some of the campers have queen sized beds and that would be nice. My biggest caution on pulling a camper (and folks will argue with me on this) is having a set of brakes on the trailer. I've heard it all, and I have several friends that pull without brakes, but in that oh chit moment when you have to stop quick, you really will wish you had brakes on that trailer.

I have built many trailers, and pulled them for well over 30K miles behind various Ventures. If you really think your going to get into it, and you can afford it, get a camper. If your not sure and want to tent it, buy a trailer.....:2cents:

thanks for the info. hey rick i will be tent camping in asheviile,cant wait to see ya.

CAMPING???????.Did MAMA throw you out of the house?It's like 3 minutes from your house to the campground.Guess I will put up a tent in my back yard and ride over there everyday.

hey Mark,

I have both. Ive been trying to sell the smaller one with no luck so I think itll get converted to a flat bed stylee and get a roof top bag for when I need things to stay dry. We still tent camp and love the bunkhouse. if I get to come to asheville this year Ill have the bunkouse if wee come for the whole trip. If just a day or 2 we will pull the small trailer and if for over night Ill throw the small cooler rack on the hitch and carry a cooler and tent.....

Guess its all in what your going to do. Never hurts to have options.

David

your killing me BuckShot!!! lol i know i asked a lot but thats just the way i roll. hope the camper dose the trick for ya.

Thanks, if the weather doesn't get to hot, it should be fun.

One thing I do when camping is take my time and stop early and enjoy the evening. Don't worry about getting an early start in the morning either. The 6 - 7 am starts from the hotels are fine when you are in a hurry. Just throw the suitcases in the cargo trailer and race to where your going....

We bought a used 2007 Leesur-Lite Excel last summer. Beats the heck out of setting up a tent. Flip a latch, raise the top, secure 2 inside poles and yer done... 15 seconds!

[ATTACH]69550[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69551[/ATTACH]

Well, not exactly ... takes another 1/2 hr or so to set up the add-a-room and awning.

Guest tx2sturgis

I prefer a cargo trailer, and then you can use it for running errands to the grocery store or hardware store as well as camping on the road. It will earn its keep.

And you can buy some rather comfy double-height airmattresses, and/or a couple of lightweight cots. And if you choose the right tent, its not a big deal to set one up. Some of them go up in a couple of minutes, or 10 minutes for a large cabin tent if you have help.

A cargo trailer can be a LOT less expensive, much easier to pull, wont affect the braking or fuel mileage as much, and will keep much of its value when/if you sell it.

Of course, its YOUR $3 grand for 10 or 20 nites a year...:whistling: