IGNORED

trunk rack bag

Atoolnut

I have a couple different bags I use on mine depending on what and how much. One is a Dowco rally pack, worst part is it is made for more of a sissy bar set up and has alot of straps that need to be secured. I also have a generic sports bag (duffle bag) made out of a nylon type material. I just put a garbage bag inside and load everything in the bag to stay dry, or I put the stuff in those big zip lock storage bags they sell @ bed bath beyond. Saves space and keeps junk dry.

I've got the old authentic imatation leather version of the one shown in that #5 post. Bought it used off eBay for $25.00 years ago. It's seen a lot of miles and used every week for any and everything. I even has the complete attached rain cover that pops out of a flap and slips on in seconds.

It holds more than it looks like it would. Snaps right onto the rack of the '84.

Mike

Branched Oaks 051810 06 copy.jpg

Yea I figured some do gooder would come up that public announcement. :stirthepot: JK My luggage rack on my 900 Kawai was way more sturdy and it had like 15# limit. I hate to tell someone I stress tested it for 4000 miles at over 30#. In all seriousness though on the Venture I would be afraid of breaking the trunk lid if loaded to heavy.

Depending on size your looking for here is a

• Dimensions: 21 in. Wide x 10 in. High x 14 in. Depth under $45.
  • Look around here you may find a deal.
  • This is another favorite for inexpensive luggage and stuff

Guest tx2sturgis
    That is a nice looking bag.

Keep in mind though.... recommended maximum weight on the trunk rack is 10lbs (or 20lbs).

Yeah, and Yamaha says NO trailers. Doesnt stop anyone on this forum from adding a hitch, violating the warranty, and pulling a 400 pound trailer if they want to.

Fact is that the handling of the bike gets weird with even 15 pounds up there.

But the guy asked about trunk rack bags, and since Yamaha even sells the rack, AND the bag, it is meant to to be used....within reason.

....But the guy asked about trunk rack bags, and since Yamaha even sells the rack, AND the bag, it is meant to to be used....within reason.

:goodpost:

And that is the point.... "within reason".

Some trunk racks don't have the support bracing, just the pegs on the trunk lid. 10-15lbs doesn't sound like much but constant pressure on 4 points plus bumps.... will eventually crack or punch a hole thru the trunk lid.

For the OP... trunk rack is usable but keep the weight low to prevent having to replace the trunk lid. Make sure you have bracing between the legs of the rack. Weight high will affect bike handling.

Before I did the interior of the trunk I installed the trunk rack and made two straps from aluminum stock and worked a curve into them to match the shape of the top of the trunk lid. They sit nicely into the inner curves. Drilled them to match the mounting posts on the rack and used the 1.25 inch star washers with a larger rubber bib washer beween the star and the lid surface to help spread the pressure and seal the mounting hole.

It's been a few years on that install with no problems as far as stress cracking on the lid.

I know for sure I've loaded it with better than 10 pounds more than a few times. so far, so good.

Mike

Mine has like straps on the top of the lid to help support. If it didnt I would certainly add something to help support it. I have some washers that were on a bike years ago that have like a star pattern on them and are about an inch around. Something like that would certainly help it out. I have seen washers somethin glike it at Home Depot or Lowes made for mirrors.

And looky here another stisfied cutomer. Phew I'm glad he bought it because I was thinking about it. And I need another piece of motorcycle specific luggage like I need a hole in the head. :whistling:

DJH3,

I don't know about your head, but at least you can consider you'll not have another hole on your pocket!!!

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: