IGNORED

Another new Russell Seat

Miles

Just got back last night from having my new (10th) Russell Seat made for me. I always ride down to their location outside of Redding, CA. to have it done.

Pics....

[ATTACH]69501[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69502[/ATTACH]

It is nice to have a seat with internal suspension, for those long rides.:cool10:

Carbon One, what appears to be the "raised portion in the middle" is simply an optical illusion. Maybe it is just the way the picture was taken, or because of the velour fabric...but...when looking at the seat in person, the center section is not raised. In fact, the very center section is lower than the two outboard wings.

If you go to www.day-long.com there is a lot more info on their website about their seat suspension system.

Basically, it is the same idea as the seat suspension system in your car or pickup. You are not just sitting on a foam seat in your car. There are sprngs attached to a frame under all that top layer of foam. That is the same for a Russell Day-Long saddle. They are designed so that the outboard wings of the seat support the hams of your butt...rather than you sitting with pressure on your spine. In fact there is very little pressure at all at the sacrum area of your butt. The wings of the seat are pulled up, by the internal springs that run across the width of the seat (inside) to form a cradle, so that when you sit on it, you are supporting the outer upper legs, rather than sitting on your spine.

Probably a 1/4 of the people that buy a Russell seat are riders that have fuzed discs in their back, or compressed discs, and they want to continue riding. These seats are designed for comfort...not looks. Whie long distance riders enjoy these seats, they are also used by riders with bad backs.

Once you are sitting on the seat...riding...do you really care what it looks like, or... how comfortable you are?

Thats a nice looking seat with the velour. Have you been doing the velour all along? I have a russell and can't say enough good about it. "day long" is the right name. Mine came with the bike from PO. Can't imagine ever needing 10 of them tho.

sp!ke

Just got back last night from having my new (10th) Russell Seat made for me. I always ride down to their location outside of Redding, CA. to have it done.

Pics....

[ATTACH]69501[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69502[/ATTACH]

It is nice to have a seat with internal suspension, for those long rides.:cool10:

sp!ke, the original three Russell seats I had made for me were either all vinyl, or leather inserts. Then I discovered that having the velour on the seating area allowed the seat to be cooler in the summertime, and not freezing in the wintertime. The velour is an automotive grade, and it does not have a problem with wear, or getting wet. If it is raining out, I am either sitting on the bike...riding it...or the bike is covered if it is outside during a rain storm.

As for not having a need for 10 of these seats...well...when you ride as many miles, ,and have owned as many bikes, then maybe you will think about getting a Russell Day-Long saddle for each new bike. I started using these seats back in 1989, my first seat, for a HD ElectraGlide.

• 1 year later...

Just a quick thumbs up for the Russell. Have had mine on my 05 RSTD for about 6 years and 40k. Leather inserts and still the best seat for long rides I have ever sat upon.

sent using tapatalk

How is the velour working out for you? I'm considering a Russell and wonder which surface to get. I also have an RSTD.

Keith,

Miles hasn't been in here for a while.

Leather is a bit more comfy, but you need to feed it yearly. Vinyl is what you expect. Velour is a bit cooler but holds water. If you ride 'spirited', Velour does not let you slide around as much as will leather/vinyl.

I have the leather and like it. My brother has vinyl and he likes it. Personal preference.

RR