IGNORED

Traffic Light Sensors

halfwitt

many work based on a magnet, they detect the metal in the vehicle.... I have put the bike in neutral and put my kick stand down.... seems to work for me, I have also talked with people that place the commercially available magnet thing... they seem to like it.

Rick.

Pressure switches were phased out in the 60 and seventies. I was hanging traffic signal in the late seventies and we were ripping them out of the ground. They went to induction coil type systems(Detection Loops) which is basically a bunch of wire in a loop in the ground. As a large metal object moves over it, it induces a voltage because it changes the magnetic field effects. These small magnets they sell are really not powerful enough to do that, but added to the bike it seems sometime they work sometimes they don't. Most cities and states are moving to camera systems now for traffic detection..

Pressure switches were phased out in the 60 and seventies. I was hanging traffic signal in the late seventies and we were ripping them out of the ground. They went to induction coil type systems(Detection Loops) which is basically a bunch of wire in a loop in the ground. As a large metal object moves over it, it induces a voltage because it changes the magnetic field effects. These small magnets they sell are really not powerful enough to do that, but added to the bike it seems sometime they work sometimes they don't. Most cities and states are moving to camera systems now for traffic detection..

Thanks Buddy,

That makes sense.

I have had luck calling MODOT and complaining. They usually get out and adjust things fairly quickly. We are allowed to run the lights here. If I pull up and there isn't any traffic and it doesn't change pretty quick I usually go ahead and go. Bigger problem on the DR than the Venture.

I had a problem with one on my route to work, I found that if I revved up the motor

it would trigger the signal. Must have something to do with the magnetic field...

Give it a try, it worked for me every time.

Wire tie an old speaker magnet to the bottom of your bike. Speaker magnets are usually more powerful than the cheapos that sell for under $10. Just don't go to strong or you will be picking up debris off the road.

Mike

you want to stop centered on the saw cut, it will sense you then, if you are in the middle fat chance on tripping it. When they do an overlay you should watch them come in and saw cut , usually a square and 45's by the corner, they lay the wire in. You don't need any magnets or vodo but you do need to be near the coil.

Rare-Earth Magnets, about the size of a nickle will do the trick., Ty rap it to the bottom of the frame.

I sat at a light on Highway 27 & RT 70 one day for 15 minutes. a cop was sitting on the other intersection. he just sat there. I got off the bike and walk across the street to ask him, If I could go through the light, as if hadn't change. ( I got to the car, He was sleeping)

Assw***** !!. I got on my bike and left.

They sell them at home depot, but you have to ask for them.

I put a big rare earth magnet (2 x 1 x 1/2) on my bike and it has solved the problem of not tripping lights. Much less bulky than a speaker magnet and stronger too. Yes I have found nails stuck to it, but I figure that those nails were headed for my rear tire.

Many states have an allowance for bike to run a red that is not detecting them. Most states have different rules as to the amount of time or circumstances where it is legal to do so. You must check with your state to find out which rules apply to you.