IGNORED

Another rider killed by a cage being stupid.

hog

Hi ,everyone.Got some bad news this week.One of my sons elementary school teachers who had retired was killed last Monday on I-80 near Grand Island,Nebraska by a total idiot making a U-turn on the interstate.Her and her husband were riding seperately she was on an 08 Harley and he was on a 2012 Harley.She was following him and they were in the left passing lane and car was in right driving lane.They were passing the car and the car driver decided to make a sudden u-turn from the right lane and it hit the husbands bike on the rear wheel but he was able to keep it up somehow,then his wife ended up hitting the car in the side and she was thrown off and killed.Person driving had 4 kids in the car and no one in seat belts and she had no proof of insurance and had warrants out for driving offenses.She is up for motor vehicle homicide.Please remember her in your prayers and her husband.

Sorry to hear and it is a real shame. Stupid part is the "I didn't see them" excuse and the "thats OK we all understand" response by the courts.

I had a real interesting one the other day. I put a headlight modulator on my bike and the response from the cager community has been quite interesting to say the least. One guy pulls out around 2 car lengths in front of me drives maybe 2 car lengths and all of a sudden heads back to where he came from almost hitting the guy next to him. Now that tells me a few things,

1) Didn't look before pulling out in front of me and after seeing the blinking (modulating really) light and thought I was a cop with flashing headlight?.

2) didn't look before pulling back in.

That's why we must ALWAYS pay attention to the traffic around us. We don't know who is there and who really isn't all there!

Saw in the news this am where a beer truck turned right in front of a rider and it killed the rider!!!

Its too bad that these things are happening. I have had quite a reaction to my modulated light. Two different cagers have actually told me to shut it off when I entered a gas station. They didnt seem friendly at all, and I didnt address the legality of it with them, just went about my business.

Another driver on the freeway, pulled over to the right suddenly when I came behind him, it was obvious that he thought it was a cop, he was going about five over at the time, and suddenly slowed to about the speed limit and went into the slow lane.

I also had someone stare at the light, almost transfixed, while driving in the other direction.

I didnt actually expect this to be this dramatic, but there is a lot of attention got in using the modulated light.

We had a retired State Trooper get killed last week from a head on crash where a 20 year old girl crossed the center line in a Honda and hit a pick up just left of center head on. The trooper's son was driving and he and the girl in the Honda were hurt. There is strong suspicion she was texting, but it has not been released yet. Texting and driving in TN is against the law.

RandyA

Our condolences to the family. DAMN! This kind of stupidity seems to be spreading. My wife and I very nearly got nailed in our car a couple of weeks ago as we were heading into a left turn lane near our home. A pick up ahead of us in the lane for going straight suddenly nailed the brakes to make a left turn, apparently without looking and certainly without signalling. He came within feet of going head on into another car approaching the intersection from the other direction. That guy nearly stood his car on his nose as we did the same to avoid hitting the moron in the truck. As I turned left and headed into our neighbourhood, the truck also turned there!! I couldn't believe it. All he had to do was go another 1,000 feet and he could have turned left into the next street going into the subdivision. I had to restrain the urge to follow him till he stopped (It was a younger guy) and then get out and express my dissatisfaction with his driving ability. But then, I think I'm too old to start going to jail at this point in my life!

Andy

Sorry to hear and it is a real shame. Stupid part is the "I didn't see them" excuse and the "thats OK we all understand" response by the courts.

I had a real interesting one the other day. I put a headlight modulator on my bike and the response from the cager community has been quite interesting to say the least. One guy pulls out around 2 car lengths in front of me drives maybe 2 car lengths and all of a sudden heads back to where he came from almost hitting the guy next to him. Now that tells me a few things,

1) Didn't look before pulling out in front of me and after seeing the blinking (modulating really) light and thought I was a cop with flashing headlight?.

2) didn't look before pulling back in.

This kind of incident is a good argument for banning the Modulating headlight. I am not a fan, but to each their own. The intent is safety for everyone involved and when it becomes a potential hazard for anyone, the appropriateness of it needs to be considered.

In my opinion, anyone who pulls a U-turn and kills a motorcyclist should be up on murder charges.

This one happened a few days ago:

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2012-06-27/motorcyclist-killed-south-washington-street-accident

Had a guy do this to me on Saturday morning. It was a 2 way residential just a couple blocks from my house. I always go a bit more slowly, on purpose, on that street because there are cars parked on the side and there are, usually, quite a few kids playing around there.

That may have saved me a little skin when the guy banged a Uie in front of me. Had to haul it down pretty quickly. Although he did say "Oh sorry" when he saw me braking hard. That made me feel sooooo much better!!

Had a guy do this to me on Saturday morning. It was a 2 way residential just a couple blocks from my house. I always go a bit more slowly, on purpose, on that street because there are cars parked on the side and there are, usually, quite a few kids playing around there.

That may have saved me a little skin when the guy banged a Uie in front of me. Had to haul it down pretty quickly. Although he did say "Oh sorry" when he saw me braking hard. That made me feel sooooo much better!!

Funny how that puckered feeling subsides sooooo quickly when the cager says "sorry" with that (ok here goes the blood pressure again) goofy smile on their face.......