IGNORED

Clutch lever pivot bushing

I have searched all night and can't seem to find the brass bushing for the clutch lever. I found the one that pushes the rod to actuate the clutch but I can't find the one where the bolt goes thru for the lever itself. Mine is egg shaped and the handle wobbles around quite a bit. Anyone know if this is replaceable? It's not shown on the Star parts list only the one that pushes the rod.

Scott

Best thought I have for you is to take the old one out and bring it to a local bearing dealer or bolt and nut supply,, maybe Fastenal or such. You should be able to get something close. Outer dimension is important, that should be very close if not exact. The length you can adjust with a file and the bore can be increased with the proper size drill bit.

The bushings for all practical purposes never wear out, as long as they are kept clean and greased, at least once or twice a year. Here in dusty New Mexico seems like I have to do it every three months. Levers tend to get replaced from tipovers, though, so who knows if they actually do last "forever."

I have searched all night and can't seem to find the brass bushing for the clutch lever. I found the one that pushes the rod to actuate the clutch but I can't find the one where the bolt goes thru for the lever itself. Mine is egg shaped and the handle wobbles around quite a bit. Anyone know if this is replaceable? It's not shown on the Star parts list only the one that pushes the rod.

Scott

If it's a stock lever you want I should have one since I changed mine out shortly after getting the bike for chrome levers.

Send me a pm with your address and I'll send it out tomorrow.

A couple weeks ago I had to replace the push rod bushing as it was worn enough to get some slop in it.

Larry

BikeBandit.com It is listed as part if the front master. There are two master cylinders and you have to look a little. Price has gone way up since I got them but what hasn't. You can get just the bushing but I always replaced bushing and push rod.

Thanks for the offer just the same. The guy I bought the bike from was not really into maintenence at all. He told me he just changed oil and tires and rode it. He even washed it with car wash brushes. I've been doing so much overdue maintenance I'm almost beginning to avoid the bike as it just reminds me how much more attention it needs. It has 66,000 mile with virtually nothing checked or greased.

Yeah, those little grease points need lots of attention. Many people ignore them, or just don't know about them. After awhile the friction points dry up and the little brass bits get worn out in a hurry. The basic problem is that many people don't realize that motorcycles are not like cars. Modern cars truly can be run for about a 100k with very little maintenance apart from oil and filter changes, and a set of new tires and brakes. But motorcycles are more like very old cars, the kind where you needed to carry around an oil can, a box of tools and lots of spare parts. Motorcycles typically run at at least a decade behind cars in tech development. Probably the reason for this is the perception, if not the fact, that motorcycles are recreational machines while cars are necessity machines.

BTW, don't forget your shifter pivots, as well as the rear brake lever pivot point. These will dry out, too.