IGNORED

RSV - Fuel Pump Question

Santa Hal

I have a 2009 RSV OD at 30,000 I think my fuel pump has gone out. I can ride a quarter of a mile and then it will shut off as if it is not getting fuel. I stop and tap on it and it will go again. If your fuel line is disconected and no fuel in the lines should your fuel pump run and run or should it shut off after a few seconds. As this is what mine is doing.

Thanks for reading this. Hope I can get some answers.

By the way my bike is still under warranty, I just hate to take it to the dealership.

Hal :cool10:

When you turn your key on, you should hear the fuel pump clicking (running) and it slows down and comes to a stop after building up pressure.

For a test: You can remove the fuel pump outlet line. Hook up another hose and run it to a bucket or can, then turn your key on to see if it pumps and continues to pump..fold the outlet line in half to build pressure..the fuel pump should slow down and quit..release the hose and see if the fuel pump starts back up again..if it does not, and you tap on the fuel pump and it starts pumping again, then I would agree the fuel pump is bad..

They are a known nusence on the Ventures.

I have a 2009 RSV OD at 30,000 I think my fuel pump has gone out. I can ride a quarter of a mile and then it will shut off as if it is not getting fuel. I stop and tap on it and it will go again. If your fuel line is disconected and no fuel in the lines should your fuel pump run and run or should it shut off after a few seconds. As this is what mine is doing.

Thanks for reading this. Hope I can get some answers.

By the way my bike is still under warranty, I just hate to take it to the dealership.

Hal :cool10:

Hal,

Take it to the dealer! it has a 5 year warranty so dont let them skirt their responsibility. It's a known issue and this way you have a track record of it. If you still have it when it goes out of warranty, then we'll put an aftermarket in it.

Like Eck mentioned, listen for the clicking when you 1st turn the key on. If you dont hear it, pull the left side cover off and tap on the fuel pump with a screwdriver handle and see if it starts clicking. If it does then your pump is going out. If you want some help with it give me a shout, I'll be more than happy to help you with it.

Don't always hear the click depending on how much fuel is in the carbs. I find when it is warmer I don't hear the click, maybe because of expansion.

I did a test to make sure my pump was okay by turning off the fuel petcock and ran the bike for a minute so that it was draining the carbs. Turned off the bike, then turned the ignition on. Sure enough, could hear the clicking.