IGNORED

Michelin Commander II

Guest scarylarry

I just put F/R set on my Kaw. Voyager and I love them...I cannot tell how long they will last but I know they stick good and ride smooth..

If I get 12k+ on them I'll shuck Avons...

I went with the commanders all the way around. As I don't ride two up or pull a trailer, I went with the 130 and the handling improved consideribly. Have about 2,300 on them and they look like new, have the dyna-beads in them.

Thanks for the replies guys. I do pull a one wheel trailer, and occasionally ride two up with my wife. I installed the leveling links that quickened up the bike's handling response and didn't want to go with the 130 front tire in addition. It might make it unstable, it's good now. I thought of going with Avons, but I deal with a one man shop (awesome mechanic) and he doesn't have access to them. I prefer to buy from him, so I decided to go with the Michelin and another Dunlop on the front. The tread actually looks pretty similar. Most of what I have read indicates it's fine to mix brands, as long as the are both bias or both radials. We'll see I guess.:322:

• 2 months later...

So I have a 2 part question and this looks like an OK place to ask. I have an e-mail out to Michelin about what tire pressures to run. I ordered a 130/90 for the front and will give it a go. So of those running the Commander II's what pressures are you running?

Second question. My wheel while looking at it yesterday doing some other maintenance on the bike has weights on it. I know this is to balance, but the thing that caught my eye was there is like 4-5 tape a weights on the flat part of the rim. but also in the center there are what sort of look like car tire weights (but fit much better) clipped over the center part of the rim. When changing the tires should I pull ALL weight off? Or are the ones on the center part a factory installed weight to balance the wheel itself? I'm going to run Dyna Beads.

So I have a 2 part question and this looks like an OK place to ask. I have an e-mail out to Michelin about what tire pressures to run. I ordered a 130/90 for the front and will give it a go. So of those running the Commander II's what pressures are you running?

Second question. My wheel while looking at it yesterday doing some other maintenance on the bike has weights on it. I know this is to balance, but the thing that caught my eye was there is like 4-5 tape a weights on the flat part of the rim. but also in the center there are what sort of look like car tire weights (but fit much better) clipped over the center part of the rim. When changing the tires should I pull ALL weight off? Or are the ones on the center part a factory installed weight to balance the wheel itself? I'm going to run Dyna Beads.

I run 40 in the front and 42 rear, yes pull all the weights and re-balance or use dyna beads.

Thanks, I thought so but just wanted to make sure there wasnt some sort of factory out of balance wheel thig or such going on I haven heard about. I find it strange though, I looked at it again today and where the weight is in the center lip just forward of it is where the tape a weights are. Guess maybe they missed the amount by a touch and had to re-do it.

Most (but not all) of the Avon tires I've used were real well balanced. I used to take off the weights before starting to balance the tires, but I found that I ended up putting the same amount in the same place. Since then, I check the balance first, and then if it's wrong, I remove the weights and start fresh. That would mean that the rim is out of balance, not the tire. The Dunlop E2's I used prior to the Avons had a dot that showed the heavy point, and that is supposed to be aligned with the valve stem. Avon claimed that they don't need a dot because their tires don't have spot that's much heavier.

How well balanced are the MIchelin tires?

Frank D.

If the dot is not painted on the tire there is sometimes another marker made right into the sidewall. I have to imagine the "heavy spot" is probably where the belts would over lap. I have balance beads (dyan beads) whatever you call them when I get them mounted up. Also I ordered a 90 deg valve stem for the front wheel as with the 2 disc's up there the straight one is a trick to get the gauge on.

Well finaly got a response to my question to Michelin about pressures. Now if this dont look like a canned statment.

The best air pressure recommendation for the original equipment size tires is to use the inflation pressure as specified by the bike manufacturer which can be found on the placard located on the bike frame or in the motorcycle owner’s manual. They have determined the optimal inflation pressure for load, ride, handling, rolling resistance and treadwear performance.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-346-4098(toll free) between 8:00AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

Ken

Consumer Care Department

Certified Michelin Product Expert

I especially like the job discription at the end. :rotf:

I read tons of reviews on fourms. Not the tire company ones. lol I think the majority of the the posts said they were getting 10K on the commanders. Except on some of the HD fourms. They were in the 8-10k range for some reason. No where did I read about lots of weights to balance, seperations or ill handleing. So I ordered them up. Probably go on in late Sept.

Well finaly got a response to my question to Michelin about pressures. Now if this dont look like a canned statment.

I especially like the job discription at the end. :rotf:

If I ran my pressures at what yamma mamma says then the bike would be as squirly as my sister in law!

I have always ran a pound or two lower than the max rating on the particular tire. Thats what I've been told and thats what I've found to give the best performance.

I have to agree. I ran manufactures recomended on my Kawi and killed the tires in like 6k maybe 8k. The last say 2-3k of that I had found out to pump them up to like 36-38. Even though the tires were on thier way out it handled completly different.

I have always gone by the 10% rule.INflate the tires to factory recomended setting then ride until tire is warmed up.Check pressure,if more then 10% over pressure is too low and add accordingly.Factory pressure has always seemed low to me but it is a place to start.The only exception to this was when I ran Avons and they always liked their pressure right at the max listed on the sidewall.

• 1 month later...

Mounted up the Michelins today. Not a project I want to tackle very often. While I was at it I lubed up the drive shaft and the drive pins. I looked back at this thread to see tire pressures. The rear states 41 as a max. The only pressure I really saw here was 42 rear and think 41 front. I was inclined to go with what I have been running in the E3's. Also did a little research on how to mount. Most motorcycle tires have a dot or something to alighn with the valve stem. The info I found for the Michelins is what I did anyways from past experiences I guess. There is a bar code in the bead of the tires, alighn that with your valve stem.