IGNORED

Any1 here DARKSIDE??

if so, what kind of tire & what was/is your thoughts?:confused24:

I tried it a couple of years ago. Used a BF Goodrich tire. I went back to a M/C tire after a few hundred miles. You can probably find my posts on my experience in the Darksiders forum here on VR.

The short story is that the bike was never stable. The rear end never really settled out and was always wandering. Roto-mill grooved road, (road construction where the asphalt is ground off the road surface), was nearly impossible to ride on.

There are pluses such as increased rear wheel braking and better traction on gravel and wet roads. Tire life should be longer, but I didn't run mine long enough to verify this.

I came to the conclusion that running a C/T on a bike is very tire, bike, and rider specific. I want all the handling performance my bike can deliver. I may not use that performance on a daily basis, but I'm not about to surrender it. On my bike, using the C/T I tried, required me to surrender more of my bike's handling performance than I was willing to part with. YMMV.

I don't have any personal experience running a CT on the RSV as I never tried it when I had mine but from the little bit I've read, and because of the handling characteristics of the RSV, it would appear that a CT is not as well suited to an RSV as it is to a Wing, which I am now running a CT on mine...and I really like it. It does; however, tend to make the bike feel a bit more "squirrelly" on grouves in the road surface or parallel "high/low" ridges than the MT did ... but it's not too bad.

It might be interesting to find out a comparison of running a CT on an RSV with/without the levelling links installed as I know my RSMV handled waaaayyyy better once I installed the levelling links.

I don't have any personal experience running a CT on the RSV as I never tried it when I had mine but from the little bit I've read, and because of the handling characteristics of the RSV, it would appear that a CT is not as well suited to an RSV as it is to a Wing, which I am now running a CT on mine...and I really like it. It does; however, tend to make the bike feel a bit more "squirrelly" on grouves in the road surface or parallel "high/low" ridges than the MT did ... but it's not too bad.

It might be interesting to find out a comparison of running a CT on an RSV with/without the levelling links installed as I know my RSMV handled waaaayyyy better once I installed the levelling links.

Which tire you have on the Wing? I had the kumho Run - Flat on the 1800 never had any issues it was so stable I almost fall asleep lol

Which tire you have on the Wing? I had the kumho Run - Flat on the 1800 never had any issues it was so stable I almost fall asleep lol

I also have the Kumho RF ... that "squirrely" is very minimal but definately more noticable than the MT was. Perhaps I'm running too much air pressure... I have it at 32 psi

Other than that, I'm very impressed and happy with the CT.

This is a VERY controversial subject--the "true believers" will swear that CT's on bikes are the best thing since cold beer, others will say they're a deathwish waiting to happen. Ya pays yur money and ya takes yur chances......

I personnaly am not a CT fan. I've never seen an engineering study that will support them as "superior" to purpose built MC tires, and I've never seen any evidence of any racer running 'em (maybe on a drag strip?). I can understand 'em working ok in a straight line pounding down the superslab. I'd have concerns about how they handle during "emergency" swerve maneauvers, but that's just my 2 cents. Anyway, do your homework first and be aware of the potential plusses and minuses BEFORE you decide. Whatever you decide, be VERY careful with new tires (even MC tires) until you get 'em scrubbed in...Ride safe!

I also have the Kumho RF ... that "squirrely" is very minimal but definately more noticable than the MT was. Perhaps I'm running too much air pressure... I have it at 32 psi

Other than that, I'm very impressed and happy with the CT.

I have the same tire, and also run mine at 32. Very happy with it. I can feel the "squirrely" on occasion.....IF I am thinking about it. But I've gotten so used to it that I just make automatic adjustments without even being conscious of it I guess. For me, it feels like the most stable rear tire I've ever run on. I no longer fear gravel in the twisties, it just plows right through it. Also feels like it has a ton of grip in the rain.

Joe

It's natural for folks to be "wary" of the unknown and even more so of those things which are not necessarilly "certified" (so to speak).

It's also normal for some folks to be "followers" and others to be "leaders". The followers will stick to the "tried and true" whereas the leaders will venture (no pun intended) into the unknown.

I agree, a CT is not for everyone and it certainly isn't for all MC types nor is it necessarilly superior to an MT. But that does not mean it will not work well in certain use situations.

I can tell you from my own experience with one on my Wing and the kind of riding I do, it works very well.

Now, specifically what is "my kind of riding"?

First of all, I ride a Wing. It's a heavy bike but relatively easy to handle. It has gobs of power and is very stable at high speeds and when pushed through twisties. You can snap it from full left lean to full right with ease and it does not falter. You can ride all day long without touching the handlebars ... it tracks that well. (a bit of an eggzaggerashun but you get the point).

I rarely keep it to the speed limit ... generally 10 or more over and do like to open it up from time to time ... I'm talking 160-190 km/h.

I see myself as an aggressive rider ... I do not like to follow other vehicles.

When I'm riding on curvy roads, I like to push it when I can. It's not unusual for me to scrape the pegs with this Wing at speeds well beyond what is posted for a given corner.

get the idea?

IMO, this CT works just as well for "my kind of riding, on this scoot" as the MT before it did.

So what are the benefits (for me)?

It costs less

It will last longer

It has a higher weight rating

It has better traction in rain or gravel

It is smoother

You can ride on it with no air

What are the downsides?

The only downside (that I know of) that is so far a fact is that it has not been "approved" by the higher powers.

This is my perspective. I am not trying to persuade anyone but rather, to provide a personal point of view. You make your own choice.

I assume that all the new generation bikes & maybe the old ones run a MT 150-90-15 so what CT is equivalent to the MT .... Also what are some of the problems of mounting the CT on a MC rim? yea yea I know there are threads but hard to wade thru all the info lol

Not sure of what CT size fits your bike... others will respond I'm sure.

Mounting on the Wing rim was a piece of cake. I watched the shop guy do it ... it was a little tough getting the last part of the outside bead to go over the edge of the rim. As for "popping the bead" ... no problem.

I have heard (or should I say read) though that it's not quite as easy on the RSV wheel.

I run a khumo like most RSV Darksiders. My riding styles sound about just like SilvrT. The only difference might be is that I also pull an aspen classic sometimes and pull a cargo trailer through the twisties and on super slab.

I don't see a down fall on running a CT with my style of riding either. I agree with SilvrT with the benefits for me as well.

I don't see there being any problem with the emergency swerve because i have had to do a few. It also stops better in the rain and in emergencies. Rides much better on gravel.

I say do as you like because we are all adults. I can not listen to anyone that works for any ct company or motorcycle company because they are all going to say don't do it because they HAVE to. if not they would be facing a lot of legal issues. Motorcycle companies tell you not to pull trailers as well but there are a lot of us out there that do.

Ride your ride your, no one else's. Put what ever tires on your bike you like.

Just ride safe and be aware of others around.

I usually lead the rides but I do sometime run as the tail gunner. If not I am in the middle to help with radio control as well.

I ride with one of the largest riding clubs in the nation and a lot of darksiders are in it as well on all different bikes.

Why would you ask if we ride in the back?

Gotta tell ya I tried the C/t on my 05 Td and wanted the dang thing to work but I just could not get rid of a wobble at hightway speed. Adjusted ther air pressures up and down but could not find the sweet spot. Was running the bf goodrich radial T/A. ended up switching back to a bike tire. I am still thinking of giving it another whirl maybe with a different tire down the road but for now I have a "normal " tire on the rear . There was no one in the area that would attempt to mount the tire so ended up doing it myself and the radial T/A was a ***** to get to seat, ended up strapping the tire as well heating up the rubber with a heat gun and I dont even want to know what pressure it took to seat the bead but but did finally get it to seat, perhaps a kumho or something else would be easier to deal with. Bike handled fine at less than highway sppeed inckluding scraping the pegs in the corners but at hwy speeds totally different animal. Good luck with whichever route you choose to take.

When involved with group rides, do you ride at the back of the group?

Since mounting the CT on my Wing, I have not been in any group rides. That said tho, what difference would it make? When I do ride in groups, I could be anywhere in the pack... just depends on the group I happen to be riding with. Oh... and I've never been in a group ride where the question was asked "anyone here running a CT?" before the group leader assigns positions.

I might also add that I pull a tent trailer as well; however, we haven't had the chance to do that yet with the Wing... but it's coming and it's one of the reason's I bought the wing and one of the reason's I moved to a CT, based on a considerable amount of input by other darksiders who pull trailers.

FWIW, I did not move to a CT on a whim ... I read a lot of info and talked to a lot of folks about it first before making my decision.

Gotta tell ya I tried the C/t on my 05 Td and wanted the dang thing to work but I just could not get rid of a wobble at hightway speed. Adjusted ther air pressures up and down but could not find the sweet spot. Was running the bf goodrich radial T/A. ended up switching back to a bike tire. I am still thinking of giving it another whirl maybe with a different tire down the road but for now I have a "normal " tire on the rear . There was no one in the area that would attempt to mount the tire so ended up doing it myself and the radial T/A was a ***** to get to seat, ended up strapping the tire as well heating up the rubber with a heat gun and I dont even want to know what pressure it took to seat the bead but but did finally get it to seat, perhaps a kumho or something else would be easier to deal with. Bike handled fine at less than highway sppeed inckluding scraping the pegs in the corners but at hwy speeds totally different animal. Good luck with whichever route you choose to take.

Could have been the tire itself or maybe something else. At least you tried it and more importantly, you're willing to try again ... shows you have "grit"! LOL