IGNORED

Rear wheel.

Keitho

When doing maintainance on the rear wheel hub assembly, is it okay to use "white lithium" grease, on the splines and hub pins,or is there another type to use?

I know that some people have complained about the lack of grease in this area, the white lithium looks like it may be too light for the job.

I had to pry the hub out of the assy using a pry bar, it was rusted in there good, no sign of any grease from the factory. I cleaned of the pins with a wire wheel and cleaned the bore's out with a .20 gauge smooth bore barrel cleaning tool, you know what I mean the copper brush thing, lol. Yes ay info on what type of grease to use would be helpful.

Cheers Keith.

Guest KitCarson

You should use Moly based grease......lithium is too light.......will wash away.....all the treads that complain about there being no grease on the drive shaft and the rear drive and pins.....are partly right....Moly grease continues to be present and work long after the base material is gone from heat. It is a substance similar to graphite....and works even when dry. There are also several new synthetic ones out if you can find them.......Lithium just does not do it........one of the best is the moly based tacky grease......like used on heavy equipment.

Keith,

I had been using a synthetic blend by valvoline with Moly, but it still seemed to run out of the hub assy and onto the rim as I was always cleaning it when I washed my bike. Before Lonna and I did our trip down south over Christmas (the one where we crashed on the bike) I took the rear tire apart and used Royal purple grease. I have to tell you this stuff is sticky like molassas and we had about 1200 miles on it before the accident and it doesn't seem to have leaked off.

We use this stuff in bearing at the power plant and it is amazing, I would suggest trying that as it will be all I use on the rearend from now on :happy34:

Guest KitCarson

I forgot about Royal Purple........that is one of the synthetics I was talking about......I use the gear oil in the rear drive of bikes with a drive shaft. I vote for Royal Purple also.......had just forgot about that for a moment. You can purchase Royal Purple at places like Advance Auto Parts.....O'Reilly, Napa and places like that. Even some of the Yamaha Dealers are slightly hinting to use it.

Guest Yamahawg

Hey Squidley, (not trying to steal the thread but), if your font gets any smaller im gonna hafta get a Magnifying glass to read it. :hihi:

Hey Squidley, (not trying to steal the thread but), if your font gets any smaller im gonna hafta get a Magnifying glass to read it.

DITTO........I was "squinting" trying to read it..

Your font size doesnt help us older folks there Squid :whistling:

Keith,

I had been using a synthetic blend by valvoline with Moly, but it still seemed to run out of the hub assy and onto the rim as I was always cleaning it when I washed my bike. Before Lonna and I did our trip down south over Christmas (the one where we crashed on the bike) I took the rear tire apart and used Royal purple grease. I have to tell you this stuff is sticky like molassas and we had about 1200 miles on it before the accident and it doesn't seem to have leaked off.

We use this stuff in bearing at the power plant and it is amazing, I would suggest trying that as it will be all I use on the rearend from now on :happy34:

Like Squidley I used Coastal Premium EP Moly Grease I picked up at Auto Zone and it also runs out onto the wheel. Next time I'm switching. All Moly grease is not created equal...

Thank you all for the feed back. I will pop into my local automotive store NAPA to see if this Royal Purple is available up here in the great white north. Thanks again. Hey Sqid I hope that all goes well with you and you missis, Take care mate.

Keith.

Thank you all for the feed back. I will pop into my local automotive store NAPA to see if this Royal Purple is available up here in the great white north. Thanks again. Hey Sqid I hope that all goes well with you and you missis, Take care mate.

Keith.

Thanks Keith,

Were holding our own right now :happy34: If you have problems finding it let me know and I'll get a tube of it and get it to you

Hey Cats! (been a while)

YamaHawg...

Hey Squidley, (not trying to steal the thread but), if your font gets any smaller im gonna hafta get a Magnifying glass to read it.

in the browser of choice...you can always change you font size by using the following key combinations:

Ctrl++ [that's Control+[the plus key]] to go bigger with the font, and...

Ctrl+- [that's the Control+[the minus key]]

please give it a try..

later all