When cold,everything works fine...stop for gas and the neutral light goes out and nothing at all completely dead....fifteen minutes later all is well...neutral light comes on and away I go....thinking the neutral sensor? ...is it located behindthe cover on left side with looks like 2 wires on plastic....pain to change?

When cold,everything works fine...stop for gas and the neutral light goes out and nothing at all completely dead....fifteen minutes later all is well...neutral light comes on and away I go....thinking the neutral sensor? ...is it located behindthe cover on left side with looks like 2 wires on plastic....pain to change?

Yep you got it.......pain to change, and a pain to find a replacement. Actually with a long enough screwdriver it isnt too bad.

Brian

Yep you got it.......pain to change, and a pain to find a replacement. Actually with a long enough screwdriver it isnt too bad.

Brian

I got one from my local Yamaha dealer for less than the cost from PartShark after factoring in the shipping costs. Don't forget to get a new cover gasket.

I think Yammer Dan's suggestion is more likely though. Probably a good idea to check all your electrical connections before spending your money.

I got one from my local Yamaha dealer for less than the cost from PartShark after factoring in the shipping costs. Don't forget to get a new cover gasket.

Great, when mine was being replaced I was told they were out of production. I tried local stealer, partshark and all the usual suspects before I finally found one.

Brian

OK...I will try cleaning the connections first....do I have to take the plastic cover off and clean behind it or just the outside (was fairly oily)...cleaned it this morning and will try it later today...but this time the bike will be home when hot!....I tried the clutch lever idea but forgot to raise the kickstand too....Thanks guys......also if this needs changed,do I have to drain the oil first?

As was mentioned... the neutral switch won't keep the bike from starting... it just changes the requirements... using the clutch when hot should bypass the kickstand/neutral switch combo.

If she still has a problem then it's outside that path... either solenoid or starter... did you hear any clicking of the starter solenoid ?

Thank you for the replys...when hot the neutral light is off and it won't start...it's like there isn't a battery installed...as soon as it cools the neutral light comes on and it starts right up...pulling the clutch with the kickstand up does nothing either....starter seems ok...no clicking..possibly a little slow,but this bike starts immediately(maybe 1/2 -1 crank)...I did notice while waiting for it to cool,,the bike is on the sidestand and when the neutral light comes on if I straighten it up to go,the light goes out until I put it on the sidestand again,eventually (15-20 min.) it will stay on when the bike is vertical and I can drive away...seems to me there must be an expansion on something to ground out?

Possible problem with the side stand switch, due to change in symptoms when weight is off side stand.

You will have to pull the neutral switch to clean contacts. On the few I have seen, the brass tip that is on the gear shift cam is also been worn down a lot. Attached a couple of pictures of places you may visit in this journey.

1st is switch towards bottom center of picture.

2nd is view of location on mostly bare block, left center.

3rd is pin that contacts pads on switch on shift cam out of block.

4th is business side of switch, there is one unused contact, maybe there was a six speed on the drawing board at one time.

5th is a view of switch as it will look when middle drive cover removed. I put RTV on it to protect it, your cable will be black.

Gary

DSC01442s.jpg

Thank you for the replys...when hot the neutral light is off and it won't start...it's like there isn't a battery installed...as soon as it cools the neutral light comes on and it starts right up...

Loose battery connection, even though it 'feels' tight.

Take plus and neg apart, sand battery lugs and wire terminals until shiny, reattach and retighten

Thank you for the replys...when hot the neutral light is off and it won't start...it's like there isn't a battery installed...as soon as it cools the neutral light comes on and it starts right up...pulling the clutch with the kickstand up does nothing either....
That's what mine did too. Replacing the switch fixed the problem. When I did the job I laid the bike over onto the crash guards, had to prop the front up a bit so it would sit level. Did not have to drain the oil.

Followed the directions Dingy gave, thanks Dingy. :thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks...I installed a new solenoid,cleaned every connection I could find,applied dialectric grease to all the connections...dicovered the clutch switch was sticking and resolved that issue...it will now start hot if I use the clutch... when hot the N disappears,a few minutes later, the green light will go off (until it cools down)...when then green indicator light goes off it will not start unless I pull in the clutch...something is getting hot and causing this problem(neutral indicator switch?) it seems I've ruled out the starter and solenoid...thanks for all the help

MY 85 Has the weirdest issue, about twice a year it will not start when hot. the rest of the time its got lots of juice and fires right away. But those rare times it just does a click and the dash lights dim and the headlight goes off like its sposed to. Well, one time i got frustrated and just started pushing buttons while i was holding the start button and when the horn sounded it must have completed a circuit somewhere and the bike fired instantly. I dont know why the horn thing works on my bike, but it does...Ive checked grounds and everything I can think of. It happens so rarely that I will just deal with it until it gets worse.

So try your horn when holding the starter....see if it completes your circuit or makes a ground work for you....who knows?

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an 89 Royal and the Neutral light and Gear Indicator all work when the bike is cold and a short ride. HOWEVER… one it gets hot I see the gear indicator for 3 – 4 – 5 but not for 1 or 2 I can select those gears but the gear indicator on the dash is blank. Also when hot I cannot get neutral and as a result the light never comes on.

The starter will not engage unless the bike thinks it is in neutral hot or cold so I assume I also have an issue with the cutch engaged switch. As a result I need to either never turn it off or bump start it when it is hot. This is a challenge to get gas since I don’t want to leave it running or wait for it to cool off at every gas stop.

Never had these problems with my previous 83 venture.

This is a classic example of a faulty neutral switch. There may also be issues with the clutch switch and side stand switch. If it will start in gear with the side stand up and the clutch pulled in then likely it is only the neutral switch has a problem. Unless the neutral switch is actually borken you will need the contact pin and spring, an o-ring that goes around the switch and a middle gear gasket. Not very expensive, probably about $10.

• 3 weeks later...

Found the probem!!! saved the neutral indicator switch for last..the problem was the spring and brass pin....with gasket a $10 fix...the spring was pretty sacked out maybe 30% of the new one ,pin was fair but showed wear...I cleaned the switch as Mike B. suggested and put it all together....no more issues when hot....less than 2 hrs work,but I took my time and cleaned the area thoroughly so there was no grease or oil to mess up the connections........THANKS GUYS.....really not too bad of a job:322: