IGNORED

Iron Butt to Maintanace Day

stardbog

Dan,

Please be aware of the limitations of Google Maps. Your routing takes you to the center of each city. Likely, you intend to skirt around the outside and stay on the interstates as heading into the cities will kill your time.

I plugged your route into Streets and Trips starting at the Irving Park train station. I rounded off the corners at the target cities and found the route is 1025 miles. This is also to Oberlin, not necessarily to Don's (or a gas station near Don's). 1025 is cutting it a little close, but is doable (if you have your route corners documented very well). In addition to the corners (StL, Cleveland), you will need to document a stop in Lexington and in Cambridge, OH as these indirect locations are imperative to make this route 1000+.

Might I suggest a slight modification. Continue east on 64 to Charleston, West b'God Virginia and then head north on 77. Once you get to New Philadelphia, OH, you can kick NW and head directly to Don's. This route provides 1042 miles (again, to Oberlin, not necessarily to Don's).

Assuming this route will take approx. 20 hours to ride (direct, non-stop is 15.5 hours), and you get on the road at 5am, you will be able to enjoy the beautiful ride thru WV and southern Ohio in daylight. As boring as most of these slabs are (I-55 thru Illinois is painfully boring), I-77 thru WV is wonderful.

The documentation would be fairly easy with Start, St. Louis area, Charleston area, and End (along with all your gas receipts, signed forms, etc.).

However you go - good luck. Should be a great ride. Wish I had time to join you. Hopefully, I can get to Don's next year.

RR

you might want to check but as of 6 weeks or so ago the bridge on I-64 into Louisville was closed. Just and FYI

The bridge is open but traffic during rush hour can be stop and go, some times more stop than go.

Good luck.

Rex

What Jeff said :)

A few things to bear in mind .... If possible, plan to be passing the busiest city on the route well away from rush hour times.

Carry plenty of fluids on the bike, and drink regularly.

Take it easy. The SaddleSore pace is not difficult. No need to rush. I would set the cruise at about 65mph on the Interstate, and just enjoy the ride. Get a gas receipt at each corner and at least every 300 miles.

Try to get ahead of the clock by keeping the early stops as short as you can. The way to build miles is to keep the wheels turning, not to ride fast. If you manage that you will find the second half of the ride much easier.

Plan to finish in daylight.

Have fun and if you are using a GPS, submit the Track Log with the receipts, it makes verification easier, esp. if the miles are on the short side of comfortable.