IGNORED

Trunk lid scratching helmets

Guest Doc_R

Hi All, I have a luggage rack on my 04 Venture. Problem is the acorn nuts that secure it are scratching the crap out of our (mine and wife's) helmets. Anyone know how to stop this or fix it? Thanks, Doc_R

Have the same problem. Been thinking about putting some of that stuff... ahhh... what is it... Plastidip?? on it. It's stuff you can coat your tool handles with, Dries like a rubbery plastic coat. Yeah, I think it's Plastidip. You can get it in the paint section at the home improvement centers. I've used it for similar problems and it's worked well.

hey doc: I just installed a rack and had the same problem so I went down to the hardware store and got some metric panhead screws instead of the hex heads that came with the rack. I also stuck some of the soft half of a velcro discs over the screws. works. Jack in Los Osos ca

Have the same problem. Been thinking about putting some of that stuff... ahhh... what is it... Plastidip?? on it. It's stuff you can coat your tool handles with, Dries like a rubbery plastic coat. Yeah, I think it's Plastidip. You can get it in the paint section at the home improvement centers. I've used it for similar problems and it's worked well.

yes plasti dip it works great for lots of stuff i have a can setting right

here on the desk im going to use it to coat the ends of my bungies

so they dont scratch the bike. plasti dip is a multi-purpose rubber coating

it comes in 6 colors yellow red clear green white and black:thumbsup2:

Guest VenturaCowboy

The trunk hinges are what scratch my helmets (mostly the passenger since I'm usually wearing mine). The helmet ends up coming into contact with the hinge and then vibration does quite a number on it. I haven't quite figured out how to stop that other than keeping the helmet covered with an old tshirt.

But it sure was sad to see that big gouge on the side of a brand new HJC when it first happened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Hi All, I have a luggage rack on my 04 Venture. Problem is the acorn nuts that secure it are scratching the crap out of our (mine and wife's) helmets. Anyone know how to stop this or fix it? Thanks, Doc_R

I have not done this yet but plan on it, I have only had my bike for a week, so still checking everything out. I plan on getting a thin foam, much like what is in the bottom of the trunk, and useing 3m spray adhesive to stick it to the inside lid of the trunk. It has allready scratched my wifes helmet up pretty good.. I`ll let all know how this turns out.

K

Folks, first off, sorry for no picks, I should have them up in a few days. I bought a 12in x 11in sheet of "Fun Foam" in the craft Dept of Wally World, it has a peel and stick backing on it and can be cut with scissors to fit what you want. it is only about 1/8 in thick and think it is going to do the job.... I will post pics in a few days, waiting for my Dish Network hook up, as I am on dial up right now, and won`t live long enough to up-load pics...

You can use a tire patch......and patch glue....

Put the patch on your helmet covering the scratches.....and glue it on...... ha........

Cut down a pair of those rubber eraser tips they put on pencils......and put on the nuts