IGNORED

Thoughts on nos tires on ebay

bags529

Dead link. I was reading a little on some tire threads the other night. I think the general concensus was under 2yr. One of the brands (I think Avon) had some sidewall cracking issues that were build time related. There has to be 100 threads about tires on here, check them out.

Dunlop E3 !! Shop around ---

Also. Chaparral Motosports

In their search engine put in 120/90-18

Dunlop D404 $ 73 bucks

shinko 777 for $82 bucks

Kenda K673 for $60.88

dunlop D404 73.88

Edited by GeorgeS

Let me tell you what I've been through for the last couple of weeks.....

My brother brought the 83 up to me because it needs some work, and also the rear tire changed. The Avon on it was 8 years and 22,000 miles old, but it has just the beginning of a little cracking in the tread area and none on the sidewalls. On my 89, I had a Dunop 591 with just less than 10,000 miles on over the last 1 1/2 years. Barb and I are planning about a 3000 mile trip, and there really didn't look like there was enough life left on the thread, so I bought a new Avon for it also. After I got the 591 off of the bike, I noticed some big cracks in the threads, some pretty scary. I had bought this tire at a local dealer because I was leaving on another trip, my old Avon had a small nail in the threads, and we were leaving on a trip 1 1/2 years ago. Now, the 591 looks like an old Elite 2, and has Harley Davidson written on the side also, not a cheap tire. I looked at the date code and it was from 2006, but remember I'd bought it in the fall of 2010. It'd been on the shelve for 4 years.

Make sure any tire you put on your bike hasn't been sitting somewhere for a long time. Check the datecode. Be safe.

Tires have a date code, if someone had takeoffs that are stored in a garage for a few years , they have been exposed to ozone, heat and other fumes . . . and are in fact four year old tires even though they look new.

In my opinion tires are no place to skimp. You can find newly manufactured alternatives that are less expensive but I would spend a few extra bucks and buy new tires that are newly manufactured.