IGNORED

How Freely Should the Front Wheel Spin Freely?

GolfVenture

I recently put on Roto Covers. Its a long story but here is my issue.

With both brake calipars off and the Roto Covers installed and the Axle bolt tighten to 75 Ft Lbs, the front wheel spins freely. The wheel goes around several times with a decent spin of the wheel.

On by adding just the left calipars on, the wheel might spin maybe 1/2 turn.

With both calipars on the wheel spon about 1/3 of a turn.

I thought I would go for a ride and do the same spin test. It now spins about 3/4 of a turn.

How freely does your front wheel spin?

Any suggestion as to how I might make mine spin more freely.

There will always be a certain amount of drag with the calipers. You might have too much drag but that is best found out by going for 20 minute ride and then check out temp of the calipers.

I have temp gun. Have any idea what the temp should be after that 20 minute ride?

Guest tx2sturgis
I have temp gun. Have any idea what the temp should be after that 20 minute ride?

Depends on how many times you use the front brakes, and for how long and how forcefully.

If you only use the rear brakes, just for testing, the caliper should be about what the ambient temp is. More or less.

And again, I think you have too much brake drag due to air in the lines.

There is no force that pulls the pads away from the rotors with disc brakes. Drum brakes have springs to retract them from drums.

When the master is release, there is an extremely small negative pressure imparted for milliseconds until the plunger clears the holes in the master. This does little to clear pistons, considering flex in lines, uneven piston friction, number of pistons being moved, etc.

On disc face, there is a very thin layer of high pressure air right at the rotor surface, which will 'assist' in retracting pads. Even then, there is a miniscule amount of clearance between pad & rotor.

Gary

Seeing as the rotors are open to the elements and subject to getting wet or dirty, the pads will always rub slightly on the rotor, to keep them warm and dry and to keep them clean. If your rotor gets wet, then you'll find a large reduction in braking effect.

JMTCW

Guest tx2sturgis

Guys, the pads wont 'retract', thats true. But they should not be dragging so much that the wheel will only spin 1/2 turn when the owner grabs the wheel and spins it forcefully.

If they ARE...its usually because there is some air in the brake fluid and the pistons are not retracting normally. This can cause some abnormal drag. The air in the lines will usually make the brakes feel 'mushy', but some riders adapt to this feel over time and wont be able to tell you its happening.

Its also possible there is something wrong with the calipers or the rotor could be warped, or maybe even bent or offset axle I suppose, but he didnt mention any damage or pulsing in the lever. Possibly a spacer problem with the rotor covers but I'm not familiar with those so thats a guess.

Bleed the brake lines, or, if the fluid hasnt been changed in a few years, and its very dark, then install new brake fluid and then bleed the lines. Then holler at us.

:happy34: