IGNORED

750 mile weekend tuneup ride.

I did a 750 mile ride this weekend to see what issues might come up in preparation for my 2300 trip to Baton Rouge. Once again, i am reminded how comfortable these bikes are. The ride was Flawless although my mileage isnt where i expect it to be. With 1 remaining bar on the fuel gauge i have only gone about 110 miles. But other than everything is great with the bike. After an oil change and air filter change i will be ready for my 2300 trip to Baton Rouge. I havnt finalized my route but on my return ride, i am considering riding up to Memphis before coming home. One of my stops is going to be Arches monument in Utah. Any ideas on must see sights along that route (Memphis to Utah)?

Your trip reminds me of a great experience down the Natchez Trace Trail and spending some time in Natchez which I thought was fabulous. Have a great ride! :080402gudl_prv:

Also, I sure enjoyed the Arches area and found Zion amazing. Mentioned that to Dogman who went to Zion on his amazing ride and said he thought it was a major highlight of his trip.

I havnt finalized my route but on my return ride, i am considering riding up to Memphis before coming home. One of my stops is going to be Arches monument in Utah. Any ideas on must see sights along that route (Memphis to Utah)?

Memphis to Little Rock is as flat as a tabletop with very little to see. It is beautiful from Little Rock to just over the Oklahoma state line. Most of the western half of Arkansas is the Ozark National Forest with some of the best bike roads in the country. Good road conditions and generally light traffic.

http://www.mctourer.com/MustDo/Arkansas/MustDo_Arkansas.htm

:900[1]:

I live just south of memphis now but grew up there. You got to have some real BBQ and if you haven't been Graceland is nice if you are a Elvis fan. Maybe i can get my bike going by the time you get here and would be glad to show you around.

One of my stops is going to be Arches monument in Utah. Any ideas on must see sights along that route (Memphis to Utah)?

When are you going to be in Arches???

While there take the 30 mile ride and see Dead Horse Point. Great view!! You may recognize it from Thelma and Louise.

Dave

Thanks for the great info Guys, After going to the local bike shops it seems that the only guys that would trust these classic bikes are the guys on this site. They say i am brave for attempting such a long trip on a bike this old. I truly trust my bike and am looking forward to the sights and the stress free life for 2 1/2 weeks.

Does anyone know of any native american sights that might be along my ride?

Thanks for the great info Guys, After going to the local bike shops it seems that the only guys that would trust these classic bikes are the guys on this site. They say i am brave for attempting such a long trip on a bike this old. I truly trust my bike and am looking forward to the sights and the stress free life for 2 1/2 weeks.

Does anyone know of any native american sights that might be along my ride?

They are mis-informed :)

Mine has already done a 1700 and 1600 mile weekend this year, and this coming weekend I fully expect it to drag my butt another 1300 miles.

They can all break down, I suppose, but well maintained they are not much more likely to do so than newer bikes.

Dave, I should be at the Arches sometime around the 22nd of May. That is towards the end of my trip. How much time would you suggest to take to see the Arches and Zion. Since i wont be doing any heavy hiking, i will mostly be taking in the sights and taking pictures.

Dave, I should be at the Arches sometime around the 22nd of May. That is towards the end of my trip. How much time would you suggest to take to see the Arches and Zion. Since i wont be doing any heavy hiking, i will mostly be taking in the sights and taking pictures.

You can easily spend a full day at each Arches and at Zions. You likely won't see everything but you'll see enough to want to plan a trip to visit on a later trip. On your way from Moab (Arches) to Springdale (Zions) you can also take the short side trip to Bryce Canyon. It's really not much out of the way and can be enjoyed with just a short stop over.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I made it through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and finally Louisiana. I especially liked Utah and Colorado. I almost hit a beaver of all things, as it was crossing the road. My return trip may be shortened due to my daughters car not being transported yet out of Baton Rouge. I hoping her car is picked up Monday, so that I can be on my way home. I will have to remove Tenessee from my itinerary and maybe more if it gets later than that. I did have a chance to put new tires on while I am here in LA. I still want to check out the Santa Fe sites. Btw. Where can I get the little "states traveled map" that some members have on they're profiles?