IGNORED

Removed Sprung Weight

I have no use for audio on a motorcycle. In the 4.5 years I've owned this RSV, the audio system has hardly been used. Then, I got to wondering what effect removal of those several lbs of sprung weight, front and rear, but especially that which is mounted up high in the faring, would have on this very-top-heavy beast.

I spent a day pulling it all off. I even removed the unused CB unit from under the trunk. I removed both antennae, and their cables. I removed the tape deck, the radio/controller, all four speakers, and the handlebar controller.

The first improvement was noticeable immediately: The bike looks a lot nicer now. Those two antennae with their clunky mounts really deduct eye candy points. They also add several lbs of weight, and the antennae themselves are a source of noise and wind drag. Now, more of the svelte curves of the RSV are able to show forth. This is a nice-looking motorcycle.

But the major improvement is in how the front end feels when maneuvering around in tight spots, like parking. Hard to believe removal of 5 lbs or so of high-mounted sprung mass from the faring would make the front end feel so much lighter. But it does.

Now, what to do with all those bits?

I have been debating the same thing with my '89. I have even considered that once I have the progressive springs in the front to pull the compressor and controller and simply do what I have seen on this site and put two manual pump nipples to eliminate that weight also. I was thinking of trying to use the empty space in the fairing as storage space, like glove boxes and maybe make the front speaker spots cup holders or something. Please post pics of the transformation, although you may receive significant flak pulling the cassette player, I believe they are mandatory for proper safety and running conditions.

All the best,

Norm

X3 on the removal (93 model in my case). Speakers are still in the fairing purely for cosmetics at this point. The other stuff is available though if anybody wants it. Well, except the integral cabling that I don't really care to fish outta the main harness. Depends how far buried in there it is.

But the major improvement is in how the front end feels when maneuvering around in tight spots, like parking. Hard to believe removal of 5 lbs or so of high-mounted sprung mass from the faring would make the front end feel so much lighter. But it does.

Now, what to do with all those bits?

Stay on that diet..... :whistling:

I'm gonna keep the bits for now. I say today I will never, ever sell or trade my Venture, but I've said that about other bikes, too, and it turned out not to be true. I wouldn't want to have to sell this bike without the audio installed.

I meant I will have to find a storage spot for the pieces. Just more stuff in glad bags for the pile.

X3 on the removal (93 model in my case). Speakers are still in the fairing purely for cosmetics at this point.

I had considered that, but ended up pulling the speakers anyway. I have used the audio enough to have worn out the original speakers. Plus, I estimate each speaker weighs about a pound. That's enough weight to justify removing it, especially with the front speakers, which are mounted high up on the faring and therefore add a lot to the top-heaviness.

As for the cosmetic effect, having the empty spaces where the speakers used to be, it doesn't bother me at all. I never see the rears, and the fronts look black in there in normal daylight. If I shined a lamp in there I could see the innerds, but other than that, it looks fine.

The larger problem is how to address the space where the cassette lived, and the very cosmetic cassette door, that mounts onto the cassette case itself. Right now, I've just got a hole there. I'm going to ruminate on this for awhile, maybe ask some other people for ideas. Most likely I will figure out a way to attach the cosmetic door that will allow for access to the space behind for stash. Fabricate some kind of container to mount in the space. It wouldn't hold much, but might be great for toll coins, cell phone, whatnot.

Gut the tape player and use the empty box as in dash storage. You could remove the front speaker grills, construct a box on one side in place of the speaker and put a flap cover over it like the glove boxes on a HD lower fairing. On the other side use the speaker hole for a gauge pod. With the speakers and tape player removed you have 3 big holes to let water in the fairing, that's not good.

:worthless:

Thanks for mentioning the possibility of water getting in the holes... I will have to consider that. I had already been studying those speaker holes, but have not come up with an idea yet that doesn't involve adding weight to the faring. And that was the whole main reason for removing all the hardware. I wouldn't mind having a stash area for something around the size of a cellphone, keys, etc. But that isn't essential.

I saw the write-ups on putting in a guage set. I just don't have any real use for the guages. They'd just give me more stuff to worry about. I'm getting worry-averse in my old age.