IGNORED

Race Tech Front Suspension - thoughts?

Hey all,

Does anyone have either first hand knowledge or an opinion on http://racetech.com/html_files/venture.html?

The new spring is fairly straight forward, but this cartridge emulator concept is new to me.

http://www.racetech.com/images/FEGV2page6L.jpg

I've been chatting with the main tech at my local independent bike shop about improving my bikes handling. In addition to leveling links (which I've got ready to go on), he recommends both springs and this emulator. The shop works on all types of bikes, but is most known for sport bike\track bike work.

Any comments would be appreciated. What do y'all think?

Cheers,

Dan

P.S.

Not sure that I need my venture to every be "flic-able" :)

I have had the Baron's gold emulators in my forks since 2005 and love them. I just change the fluid when needed and off I go. They really dampen the ride better than just the springs. I have over 150k miles also. Never have had to replace the springs. :clap2:

:farmer:

You might PM Rick Butler about that set up. I do believe he's pretty informed on them. I talked with him quite a while back when I was considering doing mine. He had some good advice.

He does recommend the Sonic springs with the Rach Techs as the springs are heavier and he can explain how to set the SAG while installing forks also.

Be prepared to do some mods as it does require drilling more holes in the damper.

All I can tell ya.

Mike

Here is an older thread on the subject. Hopefully Rick Bulter and others wil be along with more input. I eventually want to do this as well.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48130&highlight=Racetech

Thanks for posting a link to that old thread. Exactly the information I was looking for.

One interesting thing from the other thread, Rick mentions that the correct spring rate for the RSV is 1.2kg/mm. The tech at my shop asked me about my riding style, weight etc and came up with 1.0kg/mm. 20% is a significant difference.

I'll need to have a follow up chat with the tech to explain how he arrived at his number. I played with http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/calculate_spring_rate.php?osCsid=940b2e50ea2dc55658f4ae10fe4204d4 and according to my (and bike) weight it is 1.2. Wonder if the calculation is different for Race Tech springs??

I'll post an update after talking to my tech. In the meantime, others experience and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Dan

You might PM Rick Butler about that set up. I do believe he's pretty informed on them. I talked with him quite a while back when I was considering doing mine. He had some good advice.

He does recommend the Sonic springs with the Rach Techs as the springs are heavier and he can explain how to set the SAG while installing forks also.

Be prepared to do some mods as it does require drilling more holes in the damper.

All I can tell ya.

Mike

The only mods I'm prepared to do is how big of a check to write the shop. :mo money:

This work is way beyond what I'm interested in taking on myself. Gonna have them replace neck bearings and do most everything else for major service including valve check\adjust at the same time.

Here's my experience with a set of Race Tech emulators:

About 12 years ago I was riding a Honda CBR1100XX that developed a knocking sound from the front end when going over ripple type pavement especially at slower speeds. I took the bike in to the selling dealer. The mechanic said he didn't know what was causing the noise, but suggested I have RT emulators installed in the forks. He said that if the noise was coming from the fork internals, the work should fix it. I took his advice and allowed him to do the couple hundred $ job. It had no effect whatever. The noise continued. Turned out it was loose head bearing. A simple snug-up of the head nut fixed it. Meantime, I had my nice new RT emulators in the forks, and frankly I couldn't tell any difference at all in how the bike handled. The whole affair proved (again) how much money can be wasted by throwing it scatter-gun style at a problem, and reminds me of why I am so skeptical whenever a shop mechanic gives me advice.