IGNORED

Ohio STate Patrol endorses headligh modulator

dingy

Below is a link to an article in the local paper where a Ohio State Patrolman endorses the use of a headlight modulator to make bikes more visible.

He doesn't specifically use the term modulator but he does describe the effect.

Copied in part here.

"As a motorcycle driver, you need to drive more defensively than you do when you're driving a car," Randall said.

The sergeant said a number of newer features enhance safety.

"There are some headlights that almost look like they're flashing as they come at you," Randall said.

Other enhancements include brighter turn signals and brake lights.

"It's unfortunate that you have to spend the extra money, but in the end it's worth it," Randall said.

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20120331/NEWS01/203310314/1002/rss01

Gary

I have thought about getting one for a few years now. When the Wife and I go somewhere in the cage, she usually drives and I sleep(lol), there has been more then one occasion where she has encountered a MC with a modulator and she says she can't tell how far away the MC is. Without the modulator she has no problem. I wonder how many other drivers have the same problem......:confused24:

I have thought about getting one for a few years now. When the Wife and I go somewhere in the cage, she usually drives and I sleep(lol), there has been more then one occasion where she has encountered a MC with a modulator and she says she can't tell how far away the MC is. Without the modulator she has no problem. I wonder how many other drivers have the same problem......:confused24:

Which means she noticed it! And I wonder how many cagers would notice a bike with the modulator while not "seeing" a bike without it? That may very well be an advantage.

Andy

Which means she noticed it! And I wonder how many cagers would notice a bike with the modulator while not "seeing" a bike without it? That may very well be an advantage.

Andy

No she thought they were farther away then they were> i had to stop her from pulling out.:scared:

I don't like them. I find myself looking beyond the light because it annoys me. I am suprised that a individual patrolman would be allowed by their agency to give their personal opinion. Shouldn't this be something that is released by the agency as whole?

My concern is it adds to confusion for some people. There are some that don't need any more confusion while driving. You may get their attention, but they just don't know how to handle it.

RandyA

I agree Randy. Being a State Hwy Dept. employee,driving everyday sometimes for 12-16 hr shifts on snow and ice in a tandem salt truck. I have almost saw it all in the last ten years.

I do honestly believe the flashing I mean pulsating (would be a better word, for the really do not actually flash) do draw attention in a big way. Just as Hummingbird says though, they definitively get your attention, but sometimes when the attention is not needed, as in your review mirror.

I have saw the pulsating light for at least a half a mile away and knew it was a bike. Have never had one behind me. I would have to see one in my review on my bike and or in my 4 wheeler before making a decision to add this.

Some bikes headlights and mine does some, vibrate as they come at you too. I have had a view say they saw my headlight vibrating and knew it was me.

I think people would be more lead to think this was an emergency vehicle than a flashing to pull out or such. Something to think about here.

I do like every aspect to more visibility, but still remains a fact that some will not see you anyhow. When we first started wearing the high vis yellow green striped shirts at work, we all where kinda embarrassed about it. Now we do not think nothing of it. The clothes do help sometimes, but most time, even if they are looking straight at you and are on the phone or just in a trans, then you will not be seen, no matter.

Believe you me, while standing there flagging and hoping that they have saw the three before hand signs and your bright yellow clothes, flashing and pulsating truck caution lights, and still head toward the oncoming traffic or the co-workers(your friends) or you on a tractor mowing or being loaded in a truck.

There is something besides just being seen. You must be attentive and take the responsibility strongly when driving 2 ton of steel destruction down the hwy. If not, then the strongest penalization should be given.

We need to instill in the younger generation the responsibilities of driving, just as was instilled in the most of us.

Also the older generation need to deal with the fact that we will become older if we live, and we will not be able to take the responsible actions necessary to drive safely when our bodies are slowly shutting down. I think another driving test would be and should be given to all involved in an accident when the circumstances calls for it,young and old. Also at a respective older age we should have to start taking a test every two years, an actual driving test.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
bad wording again,,,dah

I don't like them. I find myself looking beyond the light because it annoys me. I am suprised that a individual patrolman would be allowed by their agency to give their personal opinion. Shouldn't this be something that is released by the agency as whole?

Yes, I agree. I would think he would need some facts to be allowed such a statement coming from a respective job as his. With the public safety in mind...

Fuzzy

Yes, I agree. I would think he would need some facts to be allowed such a statement coming from a respective job as his. With the public safety in mind...

Fuzzy

This was a scheduled interview in this case, not a spur of the moment thing at an accident.

The Ohio State Patrol often does these type things for public awareness.

Seeing as how they are federally mandated to be legal in all 50 states, I don't think this officer made any sort of statement that was in conflict with the law and common sense.

Many people seem to be fixated on the fact that a flashing light will cause them to pull over. In Ohio emergency vehicles must display either a Blue or Red flashing light. School bus often drive on foggy or low visibility days with a flashing amber light. Once the public becomes educated and aware of the modulator, it will be common place.

The fact that it does 'Distract' drivers and focus in on the modulating light is just why I use it. It differs very little from all the other roadside distractions that are present. Billboards with TV like displays, sometimes excessive signage on roadways, advertisements on buses & trucks.

There are strict guidelines on the amount of intensity and frequency that the modulated lights must operate within. Also modulation must be automatically be disabled in low light conditions such as dusk through dawn.

The one I use can easily be disabled by rapidly pressing horn twice, this keeps it from being an annoyance to riders in front when riding in groups. The frequency of modulation can also be changed by flipping High beam switch twice rapidly. Also if modulator is set to off, pressing horn initiates it for 3 seconds.

Copy of Federal law attached.

Gary

Edited by dingy

This was a scheduled interview in this case, not a spur of the moment thing at an accident.

The Ohio State Patrol often does these type things for public awareness.

Seeing as how they are federally mandated to be legal in all 50 states, I don't think this officer made any sort of statement that was in conflict with the law and common sense.

Many people seem to be fixated on the fact that a flashing light will cause them to pull over. In Ohio emergency vehicles must display either a Blue or Red flashing light. School bus often drive on foggy or low visibility days with a flashing amber light. Once the public becomes educated and aware of the modulator, it will be common place.

The fact that it does 'Distract' drivers and focus in on the modulating light is just why I use it. It differs very little from all the other roadside distractions that are present. Billboards with TV like displays, sometimes excessive signage on roadways, advertisements on buses & trucks.

There are strict guidelines on the amount of intensity and frequency that the modulated lights must operate within. Also modulation must be automatically be disabled in low light conditions such as dusk through dawn.

The one I use can easily be disabled by rapidly pressing horn twice, this keeps it from being an annoyance to riders in front when riding in groups. The frequency of modulation can also be changed by flipping High beam switch twice rapidly. Also if modulator is set to off, pressing horn initiates it for 3 seconds.

Copy of Federal law attached.

Gary

Thanks Dingy,now I feel more up to date here on the modulated light.

#1. I can turn it off to keep it out off the motorcycle in front of me rear view. I can have it on if I am the leader or by myself.

#2. The State Patrol was not being just quickly interviewed. This was set up and done as part of a public awareness meeting through the state Police Dept., that I know do these type meetings. Should have known Ohio would not allow this because they are one of the few respected law enforcing states that I know of.

#3. It may become a very useful tool and I suppose fully legal every where.

#4. How true this is about to much signage sometimes and for sure to much advertisement. We have discussed this in a few of the many meetings we have at the State HWY Dept. here in Kentucky.

#5. Never thought about the pulsating school bus light that has been used for several years. Good reminder...

OK, now I think I want one Dingy. Where and how much and how difficult and please do a simple how to mod with a lot of pictures and describing if not already done ?????

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
wording spelling .....

Pictures attached of unit & supplied instructions.

I didn't use the scotchlock taps they supplied with it, I prefer soldered connections.

I had horn & headlight switch functions backwards in previous post.

Gary

The main thing is to ride defensively and be aware of potential threats and hazards. A lot of drivers panics if they see a flashing light reguardless what it is on. I've saw drivers do some very stupid moves to get out of the way of highly visible emergency vehicles that causes the emergency operator take drastic action. I'm just saying be aware of what can happen and that the other driver don't think they are getting pulled over and stop suddenly in front of you. Each rider has his own opinion and choice, so please be safe on the roads this year....:2cents:

One should also consider this. I don't know but its worth thinking of.

Overview Of Strobe Lights And Seizures

• The specific condition of suffering seizures due to exposure to strobe lights is known as photosensitive epilepsy. Approximately 1 in 20 people suffering from epilepsy experience seizures when they see strobe lights. Strobe lights occur when lights flash between 5 and 30 times in a second. This flashing triggers seizures in people with photosensitive epilepsy.

Details on Seizures Caused by Strobe Lights

• Seizures are more likely to happen when strobe lights include geometric shapes or drastic contrasts between light and dark. The brain's primary visual cortex, responsible for processing visual information, is believed to be the culprits behind strobe lights and seizures. People with photosensitive epilepsy have ultra sensitive visual cortices that become overwhelmed by strobe lights. Neurons in the brain go haywire, affecting other parts of the brain and triggering an epileptic seizure.

Read more: How Do Strobe Lights Cause Seizures? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4911930_strobe-lights-cause-seizures.html#ixzz1qsFmzzt7

Riding the fence on this. Before I retired from my 30 years of police service I was always cautious of responding with lights especially in daylight hours. People are driving around, I would swear wearing their butts as hats, all of the sudden the recognized the lights and the gut reaction of a lot of people is breaks, they hit the breaks. Now you are trying to go and they are stuck on woah. This is a big topic when teaching officers emergency driving procedures. It is often safer to weave in and out of traffic, you still have to have an emergency plan. When driving you can only control two things that relate to driving, speed and direction.

Everything I have read is that visibility is very important. Visibility or conspicuousness can be achieved through helmet color and brightly colored clothing, like highway safety vests, most bike riders wear dark clothes, leather. Their are no good statistics on modulators, LEO's are not trained to look for them when investigating crashes and the DOT has not placed them on the traffic crash report form. I can make my case here becuase look at the number of people who have them and get stopped and talked to or cited only to complain in the forums.

The majority of fatal accidents are single vehicle, no help here from a modulator. Not too far behind are your multi vehicle accidents but about 70% of fatal accidents occur during daylight hours. Over half of those are on roads with speed limits over 45mph. Over half of motorcycle accidents occur from 4-6pm. The car that pulls out in front of you is more likely to pull out from a T intersection than a four way.

These stats are from DOT 2001-2008 and are what we are trying to avoid being included in. There are also statistics that show that the areas that are high accident areas for motorcycle crashes are also high accident areas for cagers. My take is that we need more driver training and practice avoiding hazards. B Safe out there

One should also consider this. I don't know but its worth thinking of.

Overview Of Strobe Lights And Seizures

•  

Details on Seizures Caused by Strobe Lights

Totally off topic...but I saw a report about concern the London Olympics advertising was going to cause seizures to some folks. It was brightly flashing geometic shapes.

Back to topic now

My :2cents: on being able to view bikes as I still drive the caprice around. Fri I was out running errands as Mike was leaving for work, we each took different routes knowing I'd be at the store shortly. I drove to the next subdivision east of mine because the entrance to to the highway is better. As I waited for traffic to clear for me to enter the highway I saw a line of cars approaching me from the left, I saw I had a nice LARGE opening to make the left turn and merge with traffic. What I couldn't see until after I made the turn was this HD painted all black coming at me from the left. He had his light on but he completely blended in with the car behind him. Yeah it shook me even though I had plenty of time, it's the fact I really couldn't see him at all. I never saw his headlight til I was passing him.