IGNORED

To BUB or not to BUB

Hello All,

I have an opportunity to trade with a stealership, straight across, a set of BUB sleepers from a 07 RSTD with 4900 miles for my 05 RSTD stock mufflers. They say that they cannot sell the bike with non-EPA mufflers.

Are those running BUBs happy with the tone and performance?

Does seem like a no brainer. My star does have some pop on decel and I am sure more noticeable with the BUBs. Might force me to look at the rest of the exhaust for leaks.

Thanks

Bubs are of course much louder, but man do they sound good. Your MPG might go down just because your twisting the throttle more just to hear them. I do.

I've disconnected the AIS so I don't get backfiring anymore. At $500 for Bubs, I'd get'm. You cam always pick some stock ones up cheaper later if you want.:stirthepot:

Hello: I had to laugh at ACE50's response. I just replaced my perfectly good stock mufflers with a good used set of BUBS. So far I really like them. Nice rumble, much louder, but not excessive. I like having a little noise at the stop lights to adjacent motorist can hear me if I crack the throttle. Sounds mean if I accerate had and rumbles when I back out of it. I would agree that my MPG has suffered, but oh well!!!!!! You can always find another set of stock mufflers cheaper then a used set of BUBS. IMHO.:)

Bub's are rebuild-able? What does that mean?

I'm so glad you asked... :whistling: It means they can be taken apart and repacked. Packing will deteriorate and disappear over time, and the sound will get louder. Some like the result and leave them that way. If you don't, the Bubbs are "repack-able".......

Be Prepared for loud pipes though, I've got young kids living next door and the Bubs would wake them up at 5:00am when I go to work. If you don't ride early or don't have kiddies next door you'll be alright. I switched my bubs for stock Harley road king pipes and now I have no complaints from the neighbors. I looked for stock RSV pipes but couldn't find a pair that could compete price-wise to the Road King pipes.

Be Prepared for loud pipes though, I've got young kids living next door and the Bubs would wake them up at 5:00am when I go to work. If you don't ride early or don't have kiddies next door you'll be alright. I switched my bubs for stock Harley road king pipes and now I have no complaints from the neighbors. I looked for stock RSV pipes but couldn't find a pair that could compete price-wise to the Road King pipes.

Back when I was going to college we lived in an apartment house complex and I rode a fairly loud Aerial Square Four. In the morning out of courtesy I just pushed the bike out into the street before firing her up.... :draming:

Anything I need to know about switching to the BUB cans such as gaskets. I assume three our four bolts and they slide off.

The dealer made the offer, just tell him it's a go, he just has to swap them out at his shop no charge......:080402gudl_prv:

Dealer says bring the cans in and he'll give me the BUBs. Says he can't sell the bike with non EPA aftermarket pipes. He can't install either.

Slip yours off and take them in. It's not a big deal to remove them. 1 hanger bolt and one clamp bolt on each side. The Bubbs will slip right on with out a gasket..... Just make sure the dealer includes the OEM (Bubb) clamps....

Edited by Condor

My RSV came with BUBS as I bought mine used. Initially I liked the hot rod sound but eventually I disliked the loudness especially on the highway. Couldn't hear my music. So I switched them off for the RSTD cans which was much better for the loudness but lost the hot rod sound. Last year I decided to pull the baffles out of the BUBS and found zero packing. So I bought some packing material and installed that in the BUBS and re installed the BUBS back on the bike. I now love it. The BUBS with packing is not much louder than factory at sustained throttle but the hot rod sound is back especially when I twist the throttle. I can hear my music on the highway. If you want your bike to sound like a hot rod go for the BUBS, but if you don't want it to be to loud make sure you keep them packed. Makes a big difference :thumbsup2:.

The BUBs are on and test ride done. Nice rumble and a good bark when you hit the throttle.

I synced the carbs and found that I have seem to have lost some vacuum, from about 28 to about 26 and I pick up a bit more exhaust fumes. Any ideas?

Also, the change has accentuated the decal pop. Guess I really need to track down the issue. It’s an 05, and I have heard that the exhaust develops leaks.

The BUBs are on and test ride done. Nice rumble and a good bark when you hit the throttle.

I synced the carbs and found that I have seem to have lost some vacuum, from about 28 to about 26 and I pick up a bit more exhaust fumes. Any ideas?

Also, the change has accentuated the decal pop. Guess I really need to track down the issue. It’s an 05, and I have heard that the exhaust develops leaks.

Mine pop on deceleration too. I haven't sync'd them yet, but when I do and it doesn't help the smog is going to be plugged or taken out completely. There's a nice write up in the tech section on how to do it....

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=485