IGNORED

2009 venture purchase?

rutman

New member as of today. been trying to find all info i can on 09 venture. Currently ride a 1300 vtx that i really like. Lookin for a second bike for boss lady and me to take longer trips on. VTX is fine for me but she needs more comfort. Found a red/black 09 venture with less than 25k miles for around $9000, maybe $8500. Lookin for any advice as far as price, quality, weight, easy manuverability, and the whine that I keep reading about, and anything else I need to know. Thks.

Let me be the first to say BUY IT,,, that's a steal!!!

Serious, most people would be looking more like $12k for that.

Ok, now with that out of the way, dealer, or individual?

Good shape, have you seen it, have you ridden it?

Get the VIN, go to a Yamaha dealer you trust and ask them to look up the warrenty maintenance record.

How do the tires look? At 25k, it probably has 2nd set on. The rear may be at about 10K, but the front is probably okay.

But as far as price,,, that's really a GOOD price, you will not find better for a 2009, with an engine.

Mike G

Edited by Mike G in SC

I agree the price is really good. Nada retail is $13k and some change. I had a VTX1300S prior to getting an '06 RSTD. My only complaint with the VTX was to me it was geared to low. Other than that it was a really comfortable ride. The RSTD/RSV are geared alittle higher and with the increased hp do much better at interstate speeds. I think you'll be really happy with the change. On the gear whine, make sure to test ride it and really observe it at different rpms in each gear, especially around 55-65 mph. Some are BAD, others are tolerable, which may be a clue to the low price. I think the quality is equivalent with the Honda, Yamaha has really good chrome work and very little plastic minus the fairing, saddle bags, and trunk. The three years I had the RSTD, I never had any pitting or rusting (garaged keep, but high humidity). Ease of riding is pretty close. It is heavier, but I never could tell the difference.

Like anything, the main thing is to ride it and check the gear whine. If it's bad, Yamaha will change it once under warranty for another gear basket which helped mine out alot. Just need to check with a dealer to see if its already been done. Good luck.

Edited by jfoster

Rutman, at that price its a real deal and you will still have at least 2 years of warranty left, so unless that bike was wrecked and repaired, id say go for it. Its a real nice color combo too. Just do your due diligence and make sure of its history and mechanical/cosmetic condition. Good luck...:smile5:

I'll say thats pretty decent price. Mine was closer to the 11K but only 7500 miles. No whine on mine. Least not anything I find suspecious sounding. Clunk of straight cut gears when shifting and the normal valve clatter until up to operating temp. I love mine. These things have been around since 99 with very few changes. I say thats good. If you got a good thing why change. Lots of guys on here have been on these things for lots of years and are more than willing to keep guys like me straight on the repairs and knowledge base. Oh and youll really dig the cassette dude. :cool10:

I'll say thats pretty decent price. Mine was closer to the 11K but only 7500 miles. No whine on mine. Least not anything I find suspecious sounding. Clunk of straight cut gears when shifting and the normal valve clatter until up to operating temp. I love mine. These things have been around since 99 with very few changes. I say thats good. If you got a good thing why change. Lots of guys on here have been on these things for lots of years and are more than willing to keep guys like me straight on the repairs and knowledge base. Oh and youll really dig the cassette dude. :cool10:

cassette - o boy. its got a 6 disc cd player to. o boy. LOL!!! what a waste of space.

hope it has a aux plug for mp3 if i do decide to pursue it.

cassette - o boy. its got a 6 disc cd player to. o boy. LOL!!! what a waste of space.

hope it has a aux plug for mp3 if i do decide to pursue it.

Right inside the cassette door or search splitter and add a port where ever you want and somewhere I saw a new Ipod adapter being talked about

Aux outlet under cassette deck door. And with a little work and about 5 bucks you can remove fairing and install a splitter and another cable to mount your mp3 where you want it and close door.

:welcome1:

Are you saying that plugging the mp3 into the aux outlet will allow sound to come thru fairing speakers? Are there speakers for passenger to? Pardon my ignorance but I'm just starting my Venture education.

Are you saying that plugging the mp3 into the aux outlet will allow sound to come thru fairing speakers? Are there speakers for passenger to? Pardon my ignorance but I'm just starting my Venture education.

What ever you run into the "AUX" can be played thru bike speakers which have two up front and two for passenger in which front/rear balance level can be adjusted.

You're in the same situation I was in about 6 months ago, I also have a vtx1300 which I love but has my wife has started riding more with me and needed something better for her. Looked at a variety of options out there, ruled out several (BMW, Kawa., etc) looked closer at: Goldwing - just didn't fill comfortable, used to riding my vtx cruiser i guess, HD Ultra Classic - too much $ for the ride plus I was looking to get away from the V twin, met a fellow vtx rider who also had a venture so I looked into it and eventually bought me an 07.

FYI

My take on the similarities/difference between the vtx & venture. There are a variety of mods that can be done to the bike to suit the specifics of the driver better. Both are set up as cruisers, the stock venture is top heavy and I find myself doing the stoplight wiggles trying to keep the bike balanced as I come to a stop. You'll hear about the "whine" of the gears and for some the "chirping" which I understand varies from bike to bike, I'm new to the venture so not real sure how mine compares to others but the more I ride it I get used to the sounds. The venture 4cyl is a higher RPM engine which at 70 makes a lot more noise than my vtx (stock pipes that have been drilled). My wife loves the venture ride compared to the vtx (mustang driver & passenger seat), I'm looking at having the stock venture seats modded, mine is killing my rear after a couple hours. I'm 6'2" so I have highway pegs to stretch out otherwise my knees would be killing me after an hour or so.

The venture has several electronic goodies compared to the vtx such as self canceling turn signal, emerg. flashers, cruise control, radio, cb, (probably only vehicle on the road today with a stock casette player:rotf:) We just purchased a set of J&M headsets we need to try out on a trip.

We've kept the vtx for now, its much easier, better (at least for me) riding around town.

Good luck in your search, that 09 price you posted looks great. Paid $8500 for my 07 which was a good price after shopping throughout the eastern U.S. Not that many ventures out there compared to other bikes.

I've got another question. My VTX was very cold natured until I added pipes, heavy breather, and jetted carb. Fiddled with alot of jets and needle position until it got dialed in, now I don;t need choke at all. How cold natured is the venture? And what about the carb sync I;ve been reading about. Is this done often? I do my own maitenance but am going to keep everything stock if I purchase one. I;m thru moddin and fiddlin with stuff all the time. The dog bones to raise the rear end an inch is probably the only thing i would do if it works like people say. sorry for rambling on, I just like to do my research before i jump into something.

Playboy

I see you're near Rockwood. Do you have any links with photos for that MP3 splitter you mentioned?

Sorry no links but you can get one at Radio Shack you need a single male end and two females they come in a variety of ways. One self contained plug or split with cables and separate ends either will work. You will also need a extra cord you can get at Radio Shack or wally world I used a 6' I think and had plenty of cord to reach my tank bra pouch. Hope this helps:080402gudl_prv:

LOL never been to Rockwood Arkansas :stickpoke:

I've got another question. My VTX was very cold natured until I added pipes, heavy breather, and jetted carb. Fiddled with alot of jets and needle position until it got dialed in, now I don;t need choke at all. How cold natured is the venture? And what about the carb sync I;ve been reading about. Is this done often? I do my own maitenance but am going to keep everything stock if I purchase one. I;m thru moddin and fiddlin with stuff all the time. The dog bones to raise the rear end an inch is probably the only thing i would do if it works like people say. sorry for rambling on, I just like to do my research before i jump into something.

I do all my own work as well. I haven't messed with the venture much yet, changed oil and some corrosion prevention here and there. yamaha's and honda's are very similar since both are metric out of Japan. My vtx air is stock, has always ran good with good mileage so I've left it alone, and its mildly cold natured, after the first start of the day its good to go. the venture seems to be similar. I've been using the choke to start and let it warm up while I get everything set, plus I like the idea of oil getting circulated good before I take off. The previous owner had synced the carbs not long before i purchased it, seems to be getting 41 -42 mpg mostly highway, been using vtx to run around town. Do a search for syncing carbs and I'm sure you'll find more than enough info here on this site.

Edited by meach

New member as of today. been trying to find all info i can on 09 venture. Currently ride a 1300 vtx that i really like. Lookin for a second bike for boss lady and me to take longer trips on. VTX is fine for me but she needs more comfort. Found a red/black 09 venture with less than 25k miles for around $9000, maybe $8500. Lookin for any advice as far as price, quality, weight, easy manuverability, and the whine that I keep reading about, and anything else I need to know. Thks.

Rutman,

SO,,, you find the best deal I have seen in a year and a half on a RSV and the conversation turns into what to do about the cassette.

So, are you pursuing the bike or just curious?

If I was looking,(but I got one) I'd be bugging you about where this bike is.

I'm about 100 miles south if you got questions.

If you don't plan on buying, might let the readers here know how to find the bike.

Cause that's a good price. Spartanburg area?

Mike G in (Lugoff) SC

Rutman,

SO,,, you find the best deal I have seen in a year and a half on a RSV and the conversation turns into what to do about the cassette.

So, are you pursuing the bike or just curious?

If I was looking,(but I got one) I'd be bugging you about where this bike is.

I'm about 100 miles south if you got questions.

If you don't plan on buying, might let the readers here know how to find the bike.

Cause that's a good price. Spartanburg area?

Mike G in (Lugoff) SC

Im working straight thru till next Wed. Told him I would see him Thur if its still available. Have to wait till then because its 4-5 hrs away.