IGNORED

Rear Shock Replacement with Remote Adjuster

I have searched and searched the forums and have read a lot on the three different choices we 2nd gens have (YSS, Hagon, & Works).

1. Has anyone ordered either a Hagon or Works with the remote adjuster? If so does it mount where the oem air valve goes?

2. Has anyone wish they had got the remote adjuster that did not get it?

Edited:

I have called all three companies and never mind my questions. They all so that they can not put a remote adjuster because it is to small of a shock.

So that everyone has updated pricing this is what I was told.

YSS: $499 + shipping take about 2-3 wks

Works: $799 + shipping 3-4 wks

Hagon USA: $399 for standard $469 for heavy duty FREE shipping 2-4wks

Dave Quinn: Hagon shock $469 heavy duty + shipping (he said he couldnt really tell how long for shipping because he feels hagon in england is backed up so he said 5-8 wks.

All shocks are rebuildable according to them as well.

Edited by TheKid

Robert,

I just got my shock from USA Hagon. It took longer for christina to verify if the remote adjuster was availble for our shock, as you have found out it is not due to short length of our shock.

She told me two weeks once the order was placed and she made it happen. I got the Hagon Shock with the heavy duty spring.

Wife says she notices the difference more than I really did. I don't know how yours rode but with the air holding the shock never bottomed out it just was not doing it proper cycle. I had the bike at Traxion Suspension shop for two weeks trying to get them to make a shock and check the bike out. All they did for me was tell me the shock was diffently shot, so I brought it home and ordered the Hagon Shock.

We have put 580 miles on it now and I am very happy with the performance and the amount of stability it has when you hit a bump in the curves, or the bridge joints, bike adsorbs the bump and keeps the tire planted.

Others say that when the shock goes bad that it felt like a pogo stick, or bottomed out.

Never had any of this. Just extreme tire wear and not that stable in a bumpy curve.

Call me if you have any questions I will try and help.

Later

Thanks for the post cowboy. I will be ordering mine tomorrow with the heavy duty spring as well. I called my dealership for hoping I was still under warranty but it ran out on the 23 yes just 3 days ago. So I started the research and found the three companies. I think i am going to go with Hagon over the other two because of price and they were informative and nice. Hopefully i can get mine in a few weeks as well so I can get it on before I take a trek out to TN.

Just ordered my Hagon with heavy duty spring. It is customer order for $469 shipped. Hopefully will be shipped within 2-3wks.

But keep pushing the dealer for a replacement shock. If you get one from Yamaha, then take it off and sell it to help pay for your Hagon...:mo money:

Brian

But keep pushing the dealer for a replacement shock. If you get one from Yamaha, then take it off and sell it to help pay for your Hagon...:mo money:

Brian

Yea I am trying but they are pushing back saying my warranty ran out just 5 days ago, grr.

Yea I am trying but they are pushing back saying my warranty ran out just 5 days ago, grr.

Ask them nicely to call the Yamaha Rep since you are so close to the warranty and you have heard that Yamaha is pretty good about covering things this close to the expiration date ( They actually are, or at least they were when I worked for a Yamaha dealer).

A good dealer could get this covered under warranty with no problem.

If they don't do this or don't want to, then call Yamaha yourself and explain nicely about your situation and that you tried and don't seem to be getting any assistance from your dealer.

Now if your shock doesn't leak or have any evidence of a manufacturing defect, then your warranty doesn't apply. I may have missed it if you posted this info previously.

RSTDdog

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just ordered my shock a couple days ago. They have them in stock right now. Mine will be here Monday June 4th. If you need one call them. they have the standard and heavy duty ready to ship.

So any feed back on the shock yet? WHat were the weights you based your spring choice on?

I ordered the Hagon today from Hagon Shocks USA. They have one with heavy dutyspring in stock ready to ship. Christina there gave me some specifications for the Hagon. The Hagon shock with the standard spring has a 250 KG/cm spring rate. If I did the math right that works out to 1399 lbs/in. The uprated spring offered on the Hagon is 300KG/cm or 1679 Lbs/in. She indicated the bottoming load spec for the Standard spring is 1300kg (2866lbs) and for the Uprated spring its 1500 KG (3306 lbs). All Hagon shock components are manufactured in house in England.

Sounds like the rebuild (when necessary) consists of replacing the damper assembly with your existing spring.Christina indicated Hagon is now supplying them with dampers so they can do the rebuild in the USA without having to send the whole shock back to England.

I ordered with the uprated spring. Christina indicated that two up (350lbs) the uprate should be fine but may be stiff for me solo riding at 195lbs. I never let the air out of the OE shock (typically ran 45 psi) when riding solo so we shall see.

RSTDdog

Whats the OEM spring rate? If I remember all the replacement shock have adjustable bump and rebound settings dont they? That could help out if the spring is a bit on the stiff side, just soften up the bump side of shock.

Whats the OEM spring rate? If I remember all the replacement shock have adjustable bump and rebound settings dont they? That could help out if the spring is a bit on the stiff side, just soften up the bump side of shock.

According to Rick Butler the OE spring rate is around 900 lbs/in. He indicated it should be at least 1200 lbs /inch and worked on the development of the Works shock for the RSV.

There are manual preload adjusters (for the spring) on the Hagon shock.They also have a a linked adjustment for compression and rebound (one screw affects both). I should have it in a week or so and will be able to report on it some more then. Will have new shock and two new tires so should be fun.

I have seen a variety of suggested values for sag (loaded) on the rear varying from 20-22mm to 1/3 of the total travel which for our bikes in the rear is 1/3 of 4.1 inches or approximately 1.3 inches. Personal preference will probably have it fall somewhere in that range.

RSTDdog

Robert,

I just got my shock from USA Hagon. It took longer for christina to verify if the remote adjuster was availble for our shock, as you have found out it is not due to short length of our shock.

She told me two weeks once the order was placed and she made it happen. I got the Hagon Shock with the heavy duty spring.

Wife says she notices the difference more than I really did. I don't know how yours rode but with the air holding the shock never bottomed out it just was not doing it proper cycle. I had the bike at Traxion Suspension shop for two weeks trying to get them to make a shock and check the bike out. All they did for me was tell me the shock was diffently shot, so I brought it home and ordered the Hagon Shock.

We have put 580 miles on it now and I am very happy with the performance and the amount of stability it has when you hit a bump in the curves, or the bridge joints, bike adsorbs the bump and keeps the tire planted.

Others say that when the shock goes bad that it felt like a pogo stick, or bottomed out.

Never had any of this. Just extreme tire wear and not that stable in a bumpy curve.

Call me if you have any questions I will try and help.

Later

Hi Cowboy,, How is that shock working out for you??? Is it riding stiff solo??

My Shock shock went out last month on my 2001 with 15,000 miles!!

My repair Man and I are still looking for a replacement.

I like the idea of tha adjustablity of the air shock,, but that sucker is not cheep or seem to last very long.

Pro's and Con'c on that shock would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Steve :322:

Steve,

Just finished a 9 nine day trip with 3100 miles two-up pulling a Bushtec trailer loaded. The shock performed great on the WV roads that have a few bumps on in them to say the least.

We have just over 4,100 miles on the new shock and the new Avon Venoms.

If you have followed my post you will see that over the last two years tire wear was a big problem.

Last tires Dunlop 404 only made it for 3,000 miles

Before that Avon Venom made it for 4,896 miles

Before that Avon Venom made it for 7,638 miles

Before that Dunlop Elite3 made it for 8,863 miles

Before that Dunlop WWW404 made it for 7,209 miles

Before that Dunlop WWW404 made it for 8,127 miles

Before that Dunlop WWW404 made it for 10,084 miles

Before that Dunlop WWW404 made it for 10,955 miles

Before that Dunlop WWW404 made it for 10,920 miles

Before that Dunlop 404 made it for 11,655 miles.

So as you can see I had a problem and no one new why. I had two Yamaha Dealerships look at it and a Suspension shop. The suspension shop just said that it was the rear shock and he could not find a shock to replace it, without putting a worthless stock shock back on it. Under rated for the size bike and loads that I carry. He could have sold me a Hagon or a Works but choose not too and let me do it myself. Glad he did it was an easy change just a hard decision to make on which shock I needed or should buy.

Finally choose the Hagon with the heavy duty spring.

I feel that it was the correct choice, I have 4,100 miles and the tires have more than half the tread life left. I ride hard and never expect to get more than 12,000 miles on a set of tires unlike some who get alot more.

JUST MY TWO CENTS AND OBSERVATION

COWBOY

Hi Cowboy,, How is that shock working out for you??? Is it riding stiff solo??

My Shock shock went out last month on my 2001 with 15,000 miles!!

My repair Man and I are still looking for a replacement.

I like the idea of tha adjustablity of the air shock,, but that sucker is not cheep or seem to last very long.

Pro's and Con'c on that shock would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Steve :322:

Steve,

I also just ( as in this past weekend) installed a Hagon Shock with a Heavy Duty spring on my 2006 RSTD. Ordered from Christina at Hagon Shocks LLC in California. Shipped from California to Fort myers ground in 4 days. 469.00 free shipping. Best price shipped I found on OEM was 453.00. Christina told me Hagon is supplying them the dampers now too so they can do rebuilds here in US without having to ship back to England.

I don't have as many miles on it yet like cowboy does ( only about 100) but I like it. I installed it just the way it came out of the box (preload adjuster is basically all the way off). I weigh 195 lbs and I have a Harley tour pack mounted on the back of my RSTD. Not stiff at all solo IMO. Of course I would ride solo with 45-50 PSI in the OE shock too. Rode two up with my wife (she's around 150) and Hagon still felt real good. I didn't feel like I needed to adjust it more for her weight. She remarked that it "takes the bumps better". I have not had the chance to take sag measurements to see where its at. I can tell you the rear its higher and there si very little compression moving off the side stand. You will notice, however, after installing the new Hagon, how soft the front forks are by comparison.

I'm going to replace my forks springs with the Sonic 1.2 kg/mm spring and 10 wt fork oil. You are not that far from me down in Naples. I am prepping for an up coming trip to the montains. Leaving on Friday. I live inthe Cape and work in Gateway not far from RSW. If you want to check the Shock out and take the bike for a spin, let me know, my number is in my profile. Will try and make some time, other wise it would have to be after the Holiday.

What I like about the Hagon design is that they use a single ring preload adjuster with a locking set screw. YOu don't have to fight with trying to tighten two rings or worry about the rings coming loose.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like you can adjust the preload ring by taking off the left saddlebag and reaching in between the tire and fender. I have some pictures and measurements I took at home that I can post later. At the moment I don't feel as though it needs any adjustment, but it may well wear in a bit after some miles.

Derrek

RSTDdog

Thanks for the post cowboy. I will be ordering mine tomorrow with the heavy duty spring as well. I called my dealership for hoping I was still under warranty but it ran out on the 23 yes just 3 days ago. So I started the research and found the three companies. I think i am going to go with Hagon over the other two because of price and they were informative and nice. Hopefully i can get mine in a few weeks as well so I can get it on before I take a trek out to TN.

If your dealership is any good and/or you squeal loud enough, they can do a "policy adjustment" where warranty is concerned. M2C

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered my Hagon... they're supposed to be shipping between tomorrow and Friday! WOOHOO! The dealership wanted me to wait until mid-September for theirs. Losers. :cool10::cool10:

Edit: Shipping today. Cristina in San Diego is great to work with. Hagon Shocks (760) 308-8124 http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/

Edited by AzBones