IGNORED

Any 1200 Goldwing Owners ?

GolfVenture

I have a friend that has a 1200 Goldwing and he has problem bleeding his rear brakes. He Bleeds some of the fluid, fills the fluid up and closes the bleed valve and resourivore lid. When he pumps the rear brake peddle he has no break pressure. The break peddle goes all the way to the bottom with several pumps. Does it over again with the same result.

Any suggestion?

I do not own a 2012 model but they brake system is the same on earlier models with either ABS or non-ABS..

Since you mentioned he tried bleeding his brakes already...I can not say he has a defective master cylinder or defective part on his bike (which I dounbt anyway) but I do suspect there is air in his brake lines.

Please note that there is a step by step process that must be followed to bleed the brakes on a GW..

This step by step process discribes/ explains in detail as to which bleeder must be "bled" first, second, third and so in proper sequence to bleed the brakes properly on any GL1800.

I posted the below link in the GW tech section on this site here a while back. You can click on this GW technical help link and search to find the brake bleeding information.

Somewhere in this link is a document that tells you how to follow this step by step process.

I am at work rigth now and I do not have authroity to visit this site while here at work or I would find it for you. If you do not locate it let me know for I have a copy of it on my home computer..and I will email it to you.

I would need your home email address to do that, so if you want a copy, you can email it to me.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52598

Grab another cup of coffee ECK. He said "1200" not "2012". I have owned a couple of the 1200cc bike but unfortunately I don't know the answer to his question but their are several 1200 forums also.

Have a good day bud,

BOO

I do not own a 2012 model but they brake system is the same on earlier models with either ABS or non-ABS..

Since you mentioned he tried bleeding his brakes already...I can not say he has a defective master cylinder or defective part on his bike (which I dounbt anyway) but I do suspect there is air in his brake lines.

Please note that there is a step by step process that must be followed to bleed the brakes on a GW..

This step by step process discribes/ explains in detail as to which bleeder must be "bled" first, second, third and so in proper sequence to bleed the brakes properly on any GL1800.

I posted the below link in the GW tech section on this site here a while back. You can click on this GW technical help link and search to find the brake bleeding information.

Somewhere in this link is a document that tells you how to follow this step by step process.

I am at work rigth now and I do not have authroity to visit this site while here at work or I would find it for you. If you do not locate it let me know for I have a copy of it on my home computer..and I will email it to you.

I would need your home email address to do that, so if you want a copy, you can email it to me.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52598

I had an 1100 GW and the rear brake was the easiest to do. I always use a Mighty Vac for brake bleeding since it keeps continuous vacuum on the line so air does not get in. I have spent days on some lines. Tell him check his bleeding procedures and then keep at it.

:farmer:

The order noted does not make sense to me.

With reservoir fairly full, pump pedal and hold and then open bleeder. When pedal stops, close bleeder valve and repeat. Do not let pedal come up with bleeder valve open or it will suck air back in, unless he is using speed bleeders and that was not noted.

Another thing you can do to fill the system a little faster is to open the bleeder and lightly hold your finger over it to act as a check valve while pumping. This is also the messiest way though. Just don't let the reservoir run dry nor have it too full when you finish for fluid heat expansion.

RandyA

Here is a link to "Goldwing Docs". They have downloadable copies of both owner's manuals and service manuals for all Goldwings going back to the GL1000.

Good Luck!

Andy

Oh yeah...they also have a forum for each model (e.g. GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, etc.)

Edited by darthandy
Left out some info.