IGNORED

2008 Venture 1st ride

oldryder

Finally got to ride my new (to me) 2008 Venture today as the thermometer reached 56 degrees and the roads were free of ice and snow.

a few questions.:

1. engine was not as smooth as my GL1500 (which was expected) but also not as smooth as my FJR with main complaint being a handlebar buzz at 80 mph. Is this typical?

2. I definitely need a tach.

3. how do I switch the radio from speakers to headphones?

thx in advance for any help. mark in MN

Perhaps the carbs need sync'd. This can cause it to run a bit ruff. It's a V-4 so should run pretty smooth but prolly not a smooth as a wing.

A tach? why? the bike has a rev limiter. Unless you just like looking at a tach you don't NEED one.

read page 4-6 http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/service/manuals/2008/LIT-11626-21-42_Royal_Star_Venture_1464.pdf

Edited by aharbi

Finally got to ride my new (to me) 2008 Venture today as the thermometer reached 56 degrees and the roads were free of ice and snow.

a few questions.:

1. engine was not as smooth as my GL1500 (which was expected) but also not as smooth as my FJR with main complaint being a handlebar buzz at 80 mph. Is this typical?

2. I definitely need a tach.

3. how do I switch the radio from speakers to headphones?

thx in advance for any help. mark in MN

Congrats on the RSV.

1: I actually find the FJR to be a bit 'buzzy' at 70-80, more so than the venture ever was. I too would suspect the carbs need to be synced.

3: Press and hold the center button on the control head. Once the menu comes up, another touch will move to the next item.

:bluesbrother:

Edited by Owen

Tach;;; Just push the rpm until you hit the rev limiter in first and second gear. Note the mph. Then the speedometer can be your tach. Approx 40+ in first and 65+ mph in second. I can't think of anyplace in the US where it would be legal to hit the limiter in third or fourth. Keep the revs up and you and the bike will both be happier. Those who say 'ride it like you stole it' are right. That said I did mount a cheap tach on mine. It is to slow for shifting. But it was an easy install requiring only one wire.

Mike

I hav had to reread the manual 3 or 4 times on the radio/com stuff. I still cant seem to get the radio station to go between the presets. I have a few times but it seems to take alot more fiddling than it should. I dont think the reception is as good as say a standard radio would. It sure dont pick up some of the same stations as my truck does.