IGNORED

Frame interchangable?

I have an 83 Venture with a second gear problem that I bought really cheap to fix and restore. The problem is I do not have a title for it. The VIN is clean but I don't know who the last legal owner was since the bike has changed hands a few times with no title. With today's privacy laws, I have no way to find out either and my state will not allow me to title it without the "owner" signing over the title. So I'm am considering is it worth buying a bare frame with good clean title and swapping EVERYTHING to a new frame? Since I'll have the bike torn down anyway to fix the trans.

Obviously the 83-85 is essentially the same bike. How about the later 87 model 1300? Are the frames the same?

All said and done, I think I can fix the trans and new frame and end up with about $1000 invested. Worth it?

That might be a viable solution! It might be a good idea to get an '84 up frame as the '83 had issues with the frame at the rear shock. I'm pretty sure the frames are the same for the MK2 as well with the exception of the rear sub frame and the fairing frames being different but the '83 will bolt right on.

Yup, $1000 for a good running Venture is a great deal!!

In some states getting a title for something is quite a bit easier than you describe for TN. There are businesses that do that for people in your situation.

Basically, you send them some $$ and they send you a title (and maybe plates). Then you transfer the title to TN just as if you'd bought it. Might be easier than swapping frames.....

Here is one I found. I haven't used them. Here in Michigan you can get a title pretty much just by asking nicely.

Remember when you tear apart the engine to fix it, replace the two sets of washers at the middle gear end and undercut (angle grind) the gears (especially 2nd!) to help them stay together! Yamaha didn't allow enuff contact between 2nd and the "driven" gear to keep them from coming apart....... you'll see this when you open up the case......

Any q's on doing this just PM me

In some states getting a title for something is quite a bit easier than you describe for TN. There are businesses that do that for people in your situation.

Basically, you send them some $$ and they send you a title (and maybe plates). Then you transfer the title to TN just as if you'd bought it. Might be easier than swapping frames.....

Here is one I found. I haven't used them. Here in Michigan you can get a title pretty much just by asking nicely.

I had a friend buy a old 920 Yamaha without a title and he used the site MiCarl linked too. I think it cost him a little over a $100 back then. Here in NY you have to make sure to dot your i's and cross your t"s to get something on the road. But this worked with no problems for him.:2cents::D