IGNORED

Discretionary Spending

CaptainJoe

Ive already changed how I drive my car and gained 5 miles per gallon. Hopefully it warms up and washes all the salt off the road and I'll be able to ride and save even more. I have a 50 mile commute everyday.

Hi Joe,

Yes, I too need to watch my spending to stretch our M/C adventures. Have a lot of riding planned for this year, because I'm afraid gas prices will only get worse with time. The global demand for oil is increasing at a rapid rate, and expect that more and more American and Canadian oil will be going to the far east. Bad for us.....

Leo,

If your like me though I've already got what I need for the Key West trip...

However,

Beings I operate a campground... it kind of puts a double wammy on me, if you know what I mean... Last year sucked... this year will be worse...

Leo,

If your like me though I've already got what I need for the Key West trip...

However,

Beings I operate a campground... it kind of puts a double wammy on me, if you know what I mean... Last year sucked... this year will be worse...

Key West is first of four trips we have planned. Hope we are not broke after the first trip. :240:

Yah! I'm retiring in September and I was just looking at the financial picture. Seems as we will have to live on just a trad less than I make now, but with the price of gas we will save about $75 in gas a week. Unfortunately, the trike does not get any better mpg than my Malibu does, especially 2 up hauling a trailer on the interstate...

Most of my descretionary funds are going to my daughters wedding, I still don't see what is wrong with going to the courthouse.

I have been thinking of riding my bicycle to work. With gas prices going up the cost of eveything is going up.

etwsjoe,

Good for you ... every little bit helps... I feel/will feel your pain also my youngest daughter Amber will probably be marrying late this year or early next. Have already told her, you have a choice... a 5-6 k wedding or a 5-6 k Honeymoon her choice... :confused24:

sailor,

I used to do the same thing, but then I just started buying the left overs chevy/pontiacs in august, although technically last years model still brand new and saved between $3-5 K

Leo3wheel,

Me to... I just don't think I could work for someone else at this point...Although i do miss some of the people I worked with.

We just paid off our last remaining credit card debt, and now the wife's part-time income can go directly into the savings for our trips this year - - Thunder Beach in early May, Rolling Thunder in late May, Chattanooga for 4th of July, Boston in August, and our long anticipated 5 day cruise in late November. All but the Boston trip (family wedding) will be on 2 wheels. We also figured that in 2011, we spent an average of $250 a month eating out. That $hit had to stop, so we are saving a bundle on that now too.

I am several years away from retirement, but the discipline needed to survive that time of my life has to start now. And believe me, much to her pain and dislike over it, it has!

We are many, many, many years from retirement, unfortunately, and with the increasing prices of everything including gas, property taxes, power, groceries, etc., and no raises likely for years, either, we're just making ends meet and able to save enough to get us by when things need to be repaired or replaced (like the garage roof last year).

We won't be taking any trips this year (again!) but will sure be glad when riding season starts again. It's been snowing constantly these last few days. Enough.

I'm glad we have jobs but sure would like to see our money go further, that's for sure. Our car is 12 years old this year... don't know how much longer we can make it last but we're doing our best.

bobby G,

I was never a big fan of eating out anyway... Its the time spent to gether as a family that counts...

myminpins,

Thats the problem i found myself in about 20 years ago. Try to find something you can do on your own that people will buy. Who knows, if it takes off and your making more than your normal job you may just have another decision to make.:whistling: If not, you'll still be farther ahead than you are now. Just don't get into something that requires a lot of start up costs... Noticed you answer alot of computer questions, now there, is a definate demand for that type of work.

Exmpl:

Charge $100 to wipe the viriuses off of a machine and reload software, install free version of avast... or lifetime AVG version... that's something you could do from home and business would spread word of mouth...

@captjoe: I already work every morning seven to noon so I do have stuff to do. It's socializing that's really lacking in our lives.

Fix other people's computers? If I had to get more income, I'd think of it but wow... that's one hell of a headache and people are so *****y about their computers. :bang head: I'd rather not go there, really. I take care of our computers and this is a VERY small province. There are almost no computer places left - they've all gone out of business since it's so cheap to buy new or they use people like Geek Squad, etc. I honestly don't think it's really feasible any more. Now if I lived somewhere like Toronto maybe but here...?

Thanks for the thought, though, I do appreciate it. :happy34:

Almost all the bike clubs have weekday evening meetings (ride to Tim's and chat then ride back) and/or rides and that's the stuff I miss the most - being able to very casually get together with people and chat about bikes and stuff and go for a ride. I used to ride myself but don't really enjoy it any more and a second bike? Nope... no money for that one!!

I was going to put my retirement papers in the first of this month, but I need some screws out in myback to keep the bones from rubbing. Once that is done and I am all healed up I will be burning the holiday time and putting in my papers. Retirement will eliminate a 100 mile round trip comute four days a weel. That alone will same around $100.00 per week. The way the wife has it fiqured when you get rid of the cost to go to work take home pay shoud be pretty much the same. Can't wait for the day to come.