IGNORED

I'm kinda bored today.....

GAWildKat

Well I went to Capitol Cycle today to look at scooters. Froze my butt off getting there and home but that's another story. I looked at the Burgman 400 and 650, really liked the 650. One of the sales people stopped by while we were looking at those and when he learned I want a scooter to trike mentioned the MP3. I asked about the front wheels at slow speeds and he said when a person decelerates to abt 20mph there's a button to push that stiffens the front suspension for low speed maneuvering like parking lots and intersections/stoplights and you hit the button when you start accelerating again. Mike was wondering why there isn't some kind of hydraulic system that does all that automatically.

Also... Mike got to sit on his first 2nd gen venture today. They had an 09 there with the cd setup (no cassette desk gosh darn it) had 1000 miles on it. Was Champagne yellow and black. Very nice bike. Mike fell in love with it. He said it felt perfectly balanced and not unwieldy at all. Even asked me to hop into the backseat to see how it felt to have me back there. 1. I can actually get up there without fighting the bike. 2. He said he barely noticed me on the bike compared to the Volusia. So.....there might be a Venture in the future before I get my trike :(

While this bike is not the exact thing your looking for the model is. Its a honda 750 four but its automatic. As you know the ole Honda 750 4 were bullit proof just about. We had a guy back in the late 70's that use to drag race one of these automatic 750's and he won the Motorcycle bracket more weeks than he lost.

http://www.gogocycles.com/images/1976-hondamatic-750-for-sale-21331015.jpg

Now that should bring back some old school memories.

Guest tx2sturgis
I kinda like it, looks kinda like a 1st gen. However, what are the chances I can get it triked?

How deep is your bank account?

Even ordering a kit and doing the work in your own garage could take months and cost thousands of dollars. This applies to most any decent trike kits, and even more so if you have a dealer or factory do the conversion. And you really dont want to spend $5000 triking an older bike thats worth $1000 do you? Or maybe you do.

If you have a budget of at least $15,000, a lot more options begin to appear. You can buy a decent manual transmission factory trike for about that much coin from Lehman:

http://www.lehmantrikes.com/default.aspx?navid=150

Or you can buy a good quality maxi-scooter (no shifting!) and have it triked:

http://dansontrikes.com/

These kits appear to be set of outrigger wheels that retain the original rear drive wheel on the scooter.

There are many good options, but I personally would not spend 4 or 5 times the value of an old bike to get it triked, only to have reliability, service, and parts issues later on.

My :2cents: worth.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KveSQ1Cn1Yw&feature=player_embedded#]Gdog Goes Trike - YouTube[/ame]!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Unfortunatly probably the only "cost effective" trike conversion would be one of the "add on" deals. I dont really know who makes them but I have seen a few around town here. You still have the motorcycle wheel to drive but it has what appears to me like training wheels. Not my bag. But if your a couple years out, I think I would look for a Can-Am. I have talked to several folks on the road and on stops up in Tn and NC in the mountians. I have not heard anyone say a bad word about them. Met a group last year in Madison Ga that one of the gals was on a Can-Am and the rest of the group was on HD Ultras. She said she got better fuel mpg and never got left in the dust, and a few spots she managed to leave them. The first coupel years of them should be comming down in price now. Only down side to those really is all the bags and touring equip was extra so not alot of them got it added on. Now they make them in a regualr touring model.

883 Harley's are about a dime a dozen now too.

Yeah I was thinking of a Can-Am but I learned I have to push a button if I want to accelerate or decelerate. Having partial, full body paralysis I'm having to fully think of my choices with my own scoot. When hubby bought the Volusia he bought it as his training bike with the idea we could find a way to make it an automatic once he moved to a bigger bike. There are devices out for some bikes, volusia, goldwing, venture, that make them a push button shifter. But I really need something I can get on and go. Mostly it's going to be the scoot I do everything from grocery shopping to visiting friends on and basically having the social life I don't have now. Now I have to decide whether to grocery shop or let the hubby do it on the bike. It's still going to be months to yrs down the road so I'm not in a rush. Sadly I found a Burgman 650 in Alabama yesterday for $6800, triked with a trailer. Can't afford it right now. If we had the money, I think the hubby would have made the call and trip today to get it lol.

Guest tx2sturgis
Yeah I was thinking of a Can-Am but I learned I have to push a button if I want to accelerate or decelerate. Having partial, full body paralysis I'm having to fully think of my choices with my own scoot. .

If you have some difficulty pushing a thumb lever then maybe you should rethink all of this. Riding on 2 or 3 wheels will always require some physical dexterity. I would not want to see you spend thousands of $$$$ and end up not riding, or worse, getting hurt.