IGNORED

Front Fork Separation..

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KIC,

Just guessing here as I'm just getting started on my '87 fork rebuild and haven't checked the Progressives fit in it yet but.... Using both the PVC spacer AND the top cup off the old top steel spacer looks like it is doubling the preload. All you really need is the flanged washer on top of the spring and the spacer on top of that. It should be close to even with the top of the fork. As you thread the top cap in it will compress the spring about 3/4 of an inch as it goes in. The top cup (with the o-ring) might even be enough to fit right instead of the PVC. It looks to be about the same size.

See how that lines up.

Mike

KIC,

Just guessing here as I'm just getting started on my '87 fork rebuild and haven't checked the Progressives fit in it yet but.... Using both the PVC spacer AND the top cup off the old top steel spacer looks like it is doubling the preload. All you really need is the flanged washer on top of the spring and the spacer on top of that. It should be close to even with the top of the fork. As you thread the top cap in it will compress the spring about 3/4 of an inch as it goes in. The top cup (with the o-ring) might even be enough to fit right instead of the PVC. It looks to be about the same size.

See how that lines up.

Mike

That's what I am thinking, but the cup has the o-ring on it and I presume that is there for a reason. I can not find any pictures or info on exactly the line up of parts.

So close and yet ( again) so far...

Good luck on your rebuild. if it's your first time an you want to discuss it, call me...I can tell you all the things I did wrong so you can do them correctly :)

First rebuild? :rotf: Who ya talking to KIC? :crackup:

This is my forth set. Did two on the '84 forks and started on a set of '87's for my R1 upgrade but gave up after finding SO MUCH internal damage by the PO. Just got another set of '87's a while back and starting on polishing them up before this rebuild.

That top cup with the o-ring appears to do nothing more than center that long OEM steel spacer inside the upper tube.

You wanna talk about screwed up stuff I could tell ya about some of the cobble jobs I have picked up off fleaBay. Water pipe spacers two different sizes, lock washers on the oil locks, chisel goughs where the seal was cut out of the tubes, missing or wrong rebound springs, ah heck. Some creative minds out there and some are downright dangerous with tools. These new '87's I got had ALL the wave washers on one side and nuttin on the other. Haven't even got the oil locks out yet of these. Wedged in pretty tight. That's tonights project. Heat gun and some dry ice to shock 'em out. Maybe.

You my friend had it easy. It could have been a lot worse.

But check those measurments and see how close that spacer comes to the top.

Mike

First rebuild? :rotf: Who ya talking to KIC? :crackup:

This is my forth set. Did two on the '84 forks and started on a set of '87's for my R1 upgrade but gave up after finding SO MUCH internal damage by the PO. Just got another set of '87's a while back and starting on polishing them up before this rebuild.

That top cup with the o-ring appears to do nothing more than center that long OEM steel spacer inside the upper tube.

You wanna talk about screwed up stuff I could tell ya about some of the cobble jobs I have picked up off fleaBay. Water pipe spacers two different sizes, lock washers on the oil locks, chisel goughs where the seal was cut out of the tubes, missing or wrong rebound springs, ah heck. Some creative minds out there and some are downright dangerous with tools. These new '87's I got had ALL the wave washers on one side and nuttin on the other. Haven't even got the oil locks out yet of these. Wedged in pretty tight. That's tonights project. Heat gun and some dry ice to shock 'em out. Maybe.

You my friend had it easy. It could have been a lot worse.

But check those measurments and see how close that spacer comes to the top.

Mike

:bowdown:My apologies o-mighty experienced one. I have a set of the 3 washers if you want them. I got some from Dingy and had only damaged one wavy washer so there are 5 good ones. If you want them I can "pay them forward" to you. I know our Stealership wanted almost $10.00 per washer for them.

So.. my question still stands... the top of the progressives are sitting right at the bottom of the cap threads. the PVC spacer is 3/4-inch. The cup with o-ring is 3/4 inchish which brings it to a little over 1 1/2 inches with the washer thickness.. It just seems real difficult to push down and screw the cap in without stripping the theads.

Let me know on the washers..

Bill

A few more pictures attached.

Pay attention to the 9th picture. It shows 2 sets of washers that go above & below seal. The pair on the left go below the seals, the pair on the right go above seals. They have a different I.D.

This is important, if the set on the right is put in first, the upper bushing can come back up through these.

10th picture show the progressive spacers & what I did with spring top washer on the spacers. I had to cut a little out of the I.D. of the PVC to get them to fit in there.

17th picture shows what seal should look like just before dust cap goes on.

Last 2 show the VMax rim and FJR rotors being fitted up.

Gary

:bowdown:My apologies o-mighty experienced one. I have a set of the 3 washers if you want them. I got some from Dingy and had only damaged one wavy washer so there are 5 good ones. If you want them I can "pay them forward" to you. I know our Stealership wanted almost $10.00 per washer for them.

So.. my question still stands... the top of the progressives are sitting right at the bottom of the cap threads. the PVC spacer is 3/4-inch. The cup with o-ring is 3/4 inchish which brings it to a little over 1 1/2 inches with the washer thickness.. It just seems real difficult to push down and screw the cap in without stripping the theads.

Let me know on the washers..

Bill

Thanks for the offer but I'm cool on parts. That's the thing about having done several sets.... left overs. When I'm done with this set I'll have two working set ups. The original '84's with stock brakes and the finished '87's with the R1 upgrade. Not to mention both sets fully polished.

I'm still sticking with losing one of the spacers. Like in Dingys #10 pic, use the cupped washer with the PVC ONLY. The 1 1/2 inches is WAY to much. You're asking for a fight you may not win.

Mike

I have a complete set of front brakes for an MKII available if I get a decent price out of them.

MKII calipers that have recently been rebuilt and very good rotors. Also set of anti dives.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT5383as-1.jpg

You know..I just finished putting the springs all together, the fork is installed and tightened up. Was going to install the front tire, but decided to wait until tomorrow so I can clean and polish a few pieces before it all goes together.

Feeling pretty dang good about the progress...

AND THEN YOU GO and tell me that there is a difference in the seal washers that could affect the bushing coming up....

:crying:.....:bang head: :bang head: :doh: I have no freakin idea which way I put those puppies in.... :fingers crossed: Life sucks and then you die...... ugh !

Well... It is DONE !!!! I got to ride the puppy today for 6 or so miles. The front end is so nice!!! Purposely hit speed bumps tried to dive the front forks it just all felt nice !

The progressives are great ! ( Thanks Skydoc_17)

The steering is SO SO SO much nicer having cleaned and greased the steering head bearings.

Also got the battery by-pass done. Did some ABS welding while it was apart, installed washers on the 16-head bolts. Tightened the (added a washer) speedo/gauge console ( no more rattle). New plugs have got to be a good thing since it seems to be running very smooth.

Found a hide-a-way key, so I now have 2 keys :happy65:Don't forget the quarter I found behind the front right spark plug. :confused24:

AND , most of all...got the experience to install the seals on any other 1st Gen. AND..since I am driving out of town tomorrow morning to (most likely) buy a blonde 87 1st Gen that needs front seals... I won't be so intimidated and hopefully won't make the same 967 mistakes I made the first time. :no-no-no:

a special thanks to those who helped me and offered so much support and the phone calls from Rocket in an attempt to keep me sane. :happy65::cool10:

Only got a couple of miles because I was supposed to go out of town to pick up a blonde 87. It was postponed until tomorrow morning. If I buy this one I have to sign up for Ventureholics Anonymous. I can't become like somebody who has like 7 of them... my EXISTING garage isn't big enough for any more.... and there is no room to add on...

HI...my name is KIC and I'm a Ventureholic......

:twing::7_6_3[1]:

Congratulations KIC, I have been following your thread (your battle) since the start and got a couple of good laughs at your expense. Its got to be a good feeling now though that you have accomplished this complicated overhaul. So you must have enjoyed doing this since you are going to go buy another one and tackle it again. Hope round 2 goes better for you. I can kind of relate. Bought a 05 RSV last October that had been in a slight accident and i literally took it apart font to back and overhauled and mosified extensively. I enjoyed this winte doing that and now have recently bought a 03 that definately needs a lot of TLc. It is going to be next winters project (or sooner if wi have a rainy summer). Anyways congrats again and good luck on your next one. Rob:080402gudl_prv:

Congratulations KIC, I have been following your thread (your battle) since the start and got a couple of good laughs at your expense. Its got to be a good feeling now though that you have accomplished this complicated overhaul. So you must have enjoyed doing this since you are going to go buy another one and tackle it again. Hope round 2 goes better for you. I can kind of relate. Bought a 05 RSV last October that had been in a slight accident and i literally took it apart font to back and overhauled and mosified extensively. I enjoyed this winte doing that and now have recently bought a 03 that definately needs a lot of TLc. It is going to be next winters project (or sooner if wi have a rainy summer). Anyways congrats again and good luck on your next one. Rob:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks. We'll see how this deal on the 87 goes. leaving in an hour to go see/get the puppy. Hopefully the next time I do the forks on this one which I believe will the 432nd time I would be taking a 2nd 1st Gen's forks apart in the last 2 months, may go smoother.

We will see. More entertainment to come...same time same channel... :shock3:

Edited by KIC

a special thanks to those who helped me and offered so much support and the phone calls from Rocket in an attempt to keep me sane. :happy65::cool10:

Too late, you're already a member...... But seriously, I find it quicker & easier to talk someone through things, than to type it out, unless parts diagrams are also needed.

:2cents:

Sorry I missed your last call, phone was in the tool box & I was elsewhere in the base workshop. I heard the voicemail after reading the thread additions, that night.

:canada:

Thanks. We'll see how this deal on the 87 goes. leaving in an hour to go see/get the puppy. Hopefully the next time I do the forks on this one which I believe will the 432nd time I would be taking a 2nd Gen's forks apart in the last 2 months, may go smoother.

We will see. More entertainment to come...same time same channel... :shock3:

2nd Gen forks?? Is there something you would like to tell us??:whistling::whistling::rotfl:

Well.... I picked up the blonde today. Definitely needs new front seals..luckily this one came with brand new Yamaha seals and dust caps. Interesting bike....needs a little TLC in some areas but overall a well kept bike.

So... the adventure starts all over again.... :cool10: no wait.... :doh: :bang head:

Well.... I picked up the blonde today. Definitely needs new front seals..luckily this one came with brand new Yamaha seals and dust caps. Interesting bike....needs a little TLC in some areas but overall a well kept bike.

So... the adventure starts all over again.... :cool10: no wait.... :doh: :bang head:

I know where a Blonde is. In pretty good shape. Humm... Can you fit a 1st Gen in the back of a short bed Ranger??