IGNORED

Seafoam in the Oil - - How Much?

Haven't had to do it in crank case yet, but here is the usage information:

"To clean built-up oil residues and contamination from the crank case, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam® to each quart of engine oil. Sea Foam® will slowly re-liquefy residues and suspend contaminants for easy removal. Monitor oil for color and clarity and change oil and replace filter when oil looks dirty."

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html

For you guys that put a little SF in the oil, how much is the right amount in the RSV?

Bobby,

I just did my Gen 1. I brought the bike to operating temp, added 6oz of seafoam to the crankcase (1.5oz/qt oil) The ran it on the centerstand for 5 minutes, going through the gears. Got a great clean! The oil which usually was caramel color came out BLACK!

Changed the oil & filter & she actually runs cooler.

So I guess I should run some in the crankcase shortly before my next oil change instead of adding it to the clean oil? If so, I'll remove some old oil to make a little room in there for 4 or 5 ounces of the SF.

Thanks for the input.

So I guess I should run some in the crankcase shortly before my next oil change instead of adding it to the clean oil? If so, I'll remove some old oil to make a little room in there for 4 or 5 ounces of the SF.

Thanks for the input.

Definitely before. Then change the filter. No need to remove oil to make room for SF.

The oil viscosity will break down to watery consistency.

Like I said, I warmed up the bike 1st to get the oil at operating temp, then I added the SF. Ran it in there for 5min going only, though the gears.

Last time I ran the Seafoam in the case longer than intended - about a 100 miles. I was a little worried but I think it was fine. The can doesn't say that's a problem but it made me nervous all the same. Oil came out very black but I noticed that now in my oil window it still looks like the oil is fairly clean even though it is time to change again.

Next time I do this I'll add the Seafoam, run it and change out the oil all the same day.

Did SeaFoam crankcase treatment and oil change today. Oil did come out black. Seems to shift easier.

I was just gonna add this.My current bike will be getting it done soon along with sjydocs clutch upgrade but my 84 goldwing shifted like butter after seafoam in the crankcase. The difference is I changed the filter before adding seafoam and then I rode her pretty hard for 100 miles.

The filter caught large debris.

It was brought to my attention that doing an oil and filter change may have still left 100 cc of contaminated oil in the crankcase. Will have to do another oil change before going to the Florida Keys. Next time, will also pull a secondary oil plug on the left side of the RSV. This should do the trick. The new Yamalube I added is an amber color in the window, but I know there is SeaFoam in there. Biggest benefit is being able to slip into neutral with ease.

It was brought to my attention that doing an oil and filter change may have still left 100 cc of contaminated oil in the crankcase.

I changed the oil, & I found that even after a half hour it was still dribbling.

I reattached the plug & cover and turned the bike around with the bike facing down my driveway.

When I pulled the plug & filter cover, out came MORE oil.

I let it sit for another 1/2 hour until nothing came out before replacing the plug & filter!

......Seafoam was able to go into the crank case, so that will be on the todo list for the next oil change.

How much do you add to the fuel system. I know when I put it in my car fuel tank I throw the complete can in but is there a ratio I should follow? How many ounces into a tank?

First gen second gen I assume will be slightly differant.

How much do you add to the fuel system.

Seafoam is very forgiving as to how much. If you notice the 16oz can says it will treat 8 to 25 gallons!

Siding with caution I used the 25 gallon per 16/oz calculation an add 3oz or so to my 1st gen full tank.

You will see a drop in mpg when you add SF to gas, on the next tank you will be good!