IGNORED

stability

skipbasler

A lot of good ideas here, but there is one thing that hasn't been mentioned (at least I didn't see it mentioned). You've got something in the frame/suspension with play or flex. In addition, you may also want to check the swing arm bearings for proper preload. The suggestions of the fork bushings and the steering head bearings are also very good. The 84's frame has extra bracing in it compared to the 83's, and this strengthens the rear spring mount. Just before my 83's frame broke, the bike felt like it had a hinge in the middle. I replaced it with an 84 frame.

Frank D.

Re- packed/ replaced wheel bearings, replaced brake rotors, removed and greased final drive splines, checked and adjusted steering head bearings ( set with a very slight drag with wheel off ground).

It sounds like you have covered all the bases. The only thing I can see that seems to not add up is the steering head adjustment. If you can feel ANY drag with the wheel off the ground then the bearings are too tight. You should be able to swing the wheel back and forth without resistance. If you bounce the steering off the stops it should rebound somewhat and come to a rest. IF they are too tight the handling will be very bad. I had mine too tight at one point and could not keep the bike going in a straight line.

As others have said there should be no instability at ANY speed. If all is good then the bike handles like a dream..

• 4 weeks later...

i'm gonna jump in here and try to get the same help. i have an 83, bought it a couple weeks ago and put 2000 miles on it. i love the bike but its unstable at highway speed, pretty much the exact same problem as was described, i have repacked the steering head bearings, retightened, put the heavy fork brake on, put a new shinko tour master up front, checked for cracks, i have progressive springs, i've tried different spacers, put 10wt oil in to 5.5" down from top. nothing helps the unstable feeling at 80mph. i have a bounce at 30-35mph, can't figure it out. tire seems to be balanced so not sure, gonna check for cracks in frame again and try tightening frame bolts.

I just rode my 89 after installing Progressives and repacking the top ( and bottom) steering bearings. The top were totally dry and rock solid. The bottoms had a little grease still in them. I almost didn't buy the bike because of the way the steering felt. Last night' short check out ride seemed a lot different, especially in the steering and the total lack of front end dive. :happy65: Can't wait to get out in the open with it.

Went through a similar issue with my KLR650. Had a death wobble at highway speeds. Turned out that a combination of the ( too hard) pre-load set up on the rear shock, new tires and tire pressure all combined to throw off the rake of the front end. Unfortunately I had done too many things maintenance wise to be able to pin point which one exactly had the most impact. After many different adjustments and combos, the pre-load was the most serious adjustment.

I had my 89 on the freeway twice before my tear down and work just completed. It was still a great cruiser even with the needed repairs....Can't wait to try it out with teh repairs completed. :cool10:

I would replace the upper and lower triple tree bearings including the races. That 27 year old grease is most likely hardened glue by now! Also a must do is rebuild the front forks with progressive springs, and finish off the rebuild with a "Condor" brace! I never had any issues with my 84 running freeways at 80 all day 2 up towing a trailer. I ran Dunlop E-2's first then E-3's so I can't comment on other brands other than Brickstones SUCK!!

You may want to look into the rear shock. Run it around 45 lbs with the damper adjust on 2 or 3. You might want to take your rear shock linkage apart as well and make sure all the bushings are free and well greased...