IGNORED

Higher passenger back rest?

Yeah, Just Dale

Tried on a Gold Wing the other day and my rider noticed that the backrest is significantly taller than the one on our 2009 Venture. Found a "custom" seat on the Star accessories site that says it's 3 inches taller than stock (link below).

Does anyone have one of these? Does the rider notice a significant difference in the height? And finally, is swapping out the OEM backrest beyond the abilities of a mere mortal (i.e. not a wrench)?

Thanks

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/4/83/405/all/1/3297/0/detail.aspx

3 phillips head screws and one nut to remove the original, and 4 screws to install the new. It's actually a Corbin backrest, made for yamaha. Look around, I just this past week picked one up on ebay for $100. New they are anywhere from $199 to $255. You can get it studded or non studded to match. I had the complete Corbin seat with drivers backrest as well, and now added this for my tailgunner. The height is good, and like Freebird said, she likes the idea of somewhere to put her elbows.

Ex

It looks like a match for the Corbin seats, not the pillow top stock seats of the '08's and newer. I upgraded to the pillow top's on my '99 (got a great deal from a buddy at Yamaha), so I think switching to this backrest would look a little strange. But it would sure be a nice upgrade for my rear seat rider.

There's actually a little more to it than that. There was a seat available through the Yamaha Accessories catalog that was made by Corbin. It had the stitching shown in exrsa1's pictures and included the embossed star on the passenger backrest. After Corbin's contract ran out with Yamaha, they started offering the seat direct from Corbin. The seat and backrest that came direct from Corbin did not have the stitching and the star. I have a seat direct from Corbin. It is smooth with no stitching at all and no star. The passenger backrest is also smooth. So the backrest pictured will not match any of the OEM Yamaha seats from any year. It will also not match the Corbin seat as purchased from Corbin. It will ONLY match the Yamaha Accessories Dual-Touring seat that could only be bought through Yamaha. I THINK that Yamaha has discontinued that seat. I'm surprised that Yamaha is still selling the backrest but no longer have the matching seat. I'm assuming that they are just trying to sell the backrests that they have left over but they are NOT going to match any seat that you can purchase.

I put one on my '09 venture about two months ago. Hannah likes it! I did find that the mounting holes had one hole that was just enough offset to require a creative solution.

It is about three inches taller and the "arms" also extend forward noticably more. I believe they are (mine at least) actually made by Corbin.

In summary:

1. Yes, it's taller and riders like that, as well as the "wings" for armrests.

2. Even I should be able to swap it out without major cussing (well, swap it out anyway).

3. Design will not match current pillowtop OEM seat motif.

4. Motif is a real word and not an acronym for Make Own Then It Fits. Ha!

Thanks