IGNORED

Chysler Turbine Car

Condor

Here's a rather long presentation done by Jay Leno on the Crysler Turbine. I was lucky enough to see one of them being demo'd at the Eastland Mall, Covina Ca. in 1963. They would fire it up several times during the day and the schedule was posted next to the car. At the time they were drumming up entries for a lottery they were holding to pick individuals that they would 'loan' it to for 3 months at a time. I understood when they scrapped the project that they distroyed all but one of the cars, and it ended up in their museum. I guess according to Leno there were two. Can you imagine what one of these things would bring on the block at Barret Jackson?? I wonder what Leno had to pay Chrysler for his?? :) This is a long video but nicely done and well worth watching... :thumbsup2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TefRCrnn2A]1963 Chrysler Turbine Ultimate @ Jay Lenos Garage - YouTube[/ame]

I believe there were more than two. Perhaps there are two still existing. There was one driving around in Victoria for a while. I got to check it out.

They built a fleet of them.. how many?? don't know, but maybe it's in the Leno production?? They did distroy them afterwards. At least that was what I was told when I looked into possibility of buying one of the loaners from Chrysler back in '64.

According to official records, there were 55 cars built - 5 prototypes and 50 "production". At the end of the test period, 46 were destroyed and 6 of the remaining 9 had their engines "deactivated". Chrysler kept 3 for themselves and eventually gave 2 to a museum and sold the 3rd to Jay Leno.

Car and Driver magazine testd a running one some years back.

Andy

Edited by darthandy
Added info.

According to official records, there were 55 cars built - 5 prototypes and 50 "production". At the end of the test period, 46 were destroyed and 6 of the remaining 9 had their engines "deactivated". Chrysler kept 3 for themselves and eventually gave 2 to a museum and sold the 3rd to Jay Leno.

Car and Driver magazine testd a running one some years back.

Andy

There ya go folks..... Thanks Andy..:thumbsup2:

Yes, I too was fortunate to have actually seen one of those on the road while a young teen. I remember riding with the family coming home from shopping and one of those was along side us then turned right off of McKinley Parkway in Blasdell NY. It was like a climpse into the future...

They had one on display at a Car Show in New Orleans way back then. I liked the car so much I bought a plastic model kit and put it all together. :cool10:

Boomer....who sez he liked driving his 64 Ford Falcon wit a 260 cu. in. engine and a 3 speed tranny wit a Hurst speed-shifter more.....:whistling: