IGNORED

Looking for help want to replace forks

Hi to all,

Just bought a 99 venture and very happy with it, but front forks have taken a beating. I can buy a set of chrome forks off a 2006 venture but unsure if they will fit.

If so is there a how to on this forum.

Screaming Red

There's a how to:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=496&highlight=forks+seal+replacement

Need some physical help? that may also be possible. Where do you live. Someone may be close enough to help out, we've been known to do that before, and may do again if prompted

Jim,

There is nothing intuitive about removing the forks and the Service manual is of some help. Except that it will have you jumping all over the manual to cover each task. Regardless I wouldn't even tackle this without it.

But I'll try to give you some insight as best I can, where 1st you will need a cycle lift if you don't have a centerstand and a jack under the front.

1. Once you have the bike centered and the front off the ground, remove the front wheel and fender.

2. You will have to take the entire fairing loose and pull it forward to be able to get to the top tripple tree bolts. I usually suspend the fairing and handlebars from a eyebolt I have in the ceiling. This means removing the windshield, front cowling, headlight, running lights (if you have them) or the turn signal mount if not.

3. Once you have the fairing pulled loose, you can get to the top triple tree clamp bolts. Since you are replacing the entire forks, just loosen these clamp bolts. Take the handlebars loose and suspend the handlebars up and out of the way. Now remove the center steering stem nut where now the top triple tree should lift off. With this out of the way you can slide the top fork covers out to expose the bottom triple tree bolts. Loosen these and the forks should slide out.

If it were me, I'd take the opportunity to replace the springs and fork oil in your new forks. If you can get ahold of a set Progressive springs, that will probably be as good as anything. Your stock spring rate is .90kg/mm where it really needs a rate of 1.20kg/mm. If you have access to someone who can get you a set of constant rate aftermarket springs, like Race-Tech or Sonic springs, that would be better (imho).

But first get a Service manual and make sure you have all the tools, etc.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Oh, the tech article that you were pointed to was for replacing fork seals in a set of 1st gen forks.

There's a how to:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=496&highlight=forks+seal+replacement

Need some physical help? that may also be possible. Where do you live. Someone may be close enough to help out, we've been known to do that before, and may do again if prompted

I live in Ontario Canada (Mississauga). Thanks for the how to thead I will be attempting it this weekend. What a great thead just became a second generation venture owner the moment my wife said - can i come with you more often. My other bike is a 2007 M109R with another great forum and people.

Screaming Red

Jim,

There is nothing intuitive about removing the forks and the Service manual is of some help. Except that it will have you jumping all over the manual to cover each task. Regardless I wouldn't even tackle this without it.

But I'll try to give you some insight as best I can, where 1st you will need a cycle lift if you don't have a centerstand and a jack under the front.

1. Once you have the bike centered and the front off the ground, remove the front wheel and fender.

2. You will have to take the entire fairing loose and pull it forward to be able to get to the top tripple tree bolts. I usually suspend the fairing and handlebars from a eyebolt I have in the ceiling. This means removing the windshield, front cowling, headlight, running lights (if you have them) or the turn signal mount if not.

3. Once you have the fairing pulled loose, you can get to the top triple tree clamp bolts. Since you are replacing the entire forks, just loosen these clamp bolts. Take the handlebars loose and suspend the handlebars up and out of the way. Now remove the center steering stem nut where now the top triple tree should lift off. With this out of the way you can slide the top fork covers out to expose the bottom triple tree bolts. Loosen these and the forks should slide out.

If it were me, I'd take the opportunity to replace the springs and fork oil in your new forks. If you can get ahold of a set Progressive springs, that will probably be as good as anything. Your stock spring rate is .90kg/mm where it really needs a rate of 1.20kg/mm. If you have access to someone who can get you a set of constant rate aftermarket springs, like Race-Tech or Sonic springs, that would be better (imho).

But first get a Service manual and make sure you have all the tools, etc.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Oh, the tech article that you were pointed to was for replacing fork seals in a set of 1st gen forks.

Rick,

Thanks between the how to thread and your step by step and with the manual I will borrow I feel more confident to try it myself. Seems like alot of great people on this forum!!!!

Screaming Red

I live in Ontario Canada (Mississauga). Thanks for the how to thead I will be attempting it this weekend. What a great thead just became a second generation venture owner the moment my wife said - can i come with you more often. My other bike is a 2007 M109R with another great forum and people.

Screaming Red

If you run stuck, we have members right around the corner from you who probably wouldn't mind having a reason to spend time away from their Ohhhh, S??????????? man now I forgot the name, but it don't matter, some else will help out I'm sure.