IGNORED

Medical Issue

Condor

Usually I don't post anything unless it's bike related, but I'd certainly like to get some real time feedback on something that's been rearing it's ugly head for over a year now. According to the Doc I am suffering from Iron Anemia... or lack the stuff in the system. The end result is I have low hemoglobin (red blood cells), and lately can't even mow the lawn without getting short of breath. I feel great as long as I don't move around much... I was actually experiencing symptoms when at Cody, and the altitude didn't help much either. Just wondering if anyone else has gone thru this and the outcome??

Unfortunately that is one of the side effects of one of the medications I take for type II diabetes. Vitamin supplements help this as well as good old fashioned red meat. See your doctor or a nutritionist for this. It is very controllable and treatable. You may want to be tested for low testostrone as well...

I have been diagnoised for a couple of years as being anemic, which seems hard to comprehend to be fat and animic at the same time. Mine was also diagnoised as iron anemia and the VA has put me three iron pills a day. I will be having some updated blood work done near the end of the month so we will see if it is still an issue.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

I have a lot of the same symptons Jack. They blamed it Sleep Apnea. Got stupid machine for that and energy level is worse. Docs don't seem to want to talk about Testostrone thing. IRON will help. You can buy it across the counter. Testostrone seems to be pretty costly and choosing one of the hundreds that all claim they are the best??? I gave up. Don't know if Insurance will touch it. I think getting old is going to suck if I ever get there!!!

i'M A TYPE 2 DIABETIC AND I TAKE VICODIN FOR PAIN I CAN DRIVE A CAR RIDE A MOTORCYCLE WITH LITTLE OR NO ISSUES BUT WHEN I MOW THE LAWN OR DO ANYTHING PHYSICAL I'M OUT OF ENERGY IN ABOUT 15-20 MINUTES NOT OUT OF BREATH !!!! THERE IS A DIFFERENCE... BEING OUT OF BREATH CAN BE LUNG AND HEART RELATED BEING OUT OF ENERGY GOES TO IRON AND TESTOSTERONE BEING LOW, BUT!!! AS I JUST FOUND OUT THE OTHER DAY COULD BE CLOGGED VEINS IN OR NEAR THE HEART MY NEIGHBOR HAD A TEST DONE THAT FOUND IT HE HAD SURGEREY AND NOW FEELS PERFECT NOT A STRESS TEST EITHER I'VE HAD THAT AND PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS ALSO MY TESTOSTERONE RECENTLY CHECKED AND IS FINE NEXT IS TO CHECK FOR CLOGGED VEINS THERE'S A SPECIFIC NAME FOR THE TEST JUST CAN'T REMEMBER BUT WILL LET YOU KNOW.....MY MINDS GOING TO.... OH I'M 54 AND YES OVER WEIGHT. YOU HAVE TO GO TO CARDIOLOGIST FOR THE TEST:080402gudl_prv:

I've already had blood taken twice. The first test turned up low hemoglobin (red cells), and the secnd showed really low Ferritin Protene which is needed to absorb iron into the system and make red cells. What I haven't figured out is which comes first... the chicken or the egg?? Does the iron trigger the output of Ferritins, or do I need Ferritins before I can absorb iron?? I have been reading a lot of I-Stuff about Anemia, and so far haven't found an answer that makes sense. They even talk about the lack of Hydracloric acid and it being needed to digest food into iron?? There are other scarrier causes as well including colon cancer. I don't think this would be the problem as my family has never had a case of cancer...ever. I am taking a one a day iron tablet, and vitamin D and fish oil. And yes I have low testosterone... taking a patch for that. And the thyroids been dead and on a one a day for 30 years , which also has something to do with Anemia. Man after typing this... I think I'm a mess....

Usually I don't post anything unless it's bike related, but I'd certainly like to get some real time feedback on something that's been rearing it's ugly head for over a year now. According to the Doc I am suffering from Iron Anemia... or lack the stuff in the system. The end result is I have low hemoglobin (red blood cells), and lately can't even mow the lawn without getting short of breath. I feel great as long as I don't move around much... I was actually experiencing symptoms when at Cody, and the altitude didn't help much either. Just wondering if anyone else has gone thru this and the outcome??
I've been having the same simptom's Jack, but asthma is one of the problems, the main problem is that I've been over medicated with colesterol medication of which weakins my whole body. I haven't been taking it for over a month now, and I'm starting to get a little better and stronger. Will continue not taking it as to get rid of side affects usually takes up to 3 months. As is, I have always wondered, outside of having a heart attack, why they were giving me this medication anyway, because my numbers have always been excellent. Here I stop it a month and a half ago, just did my labs 3 days ago, and my total colesterol is 132, HDL 36, LDL which is suppose to be 129 or lower, and it's 62.

I guess you and I have two different cause's, but I thought I'd just bring this up, because several other people I know have had the same problem with a colesteral medicatioi. I've tried several medications, and suffer the same side affects from no matter which one I take. But hope your Dr. can get you back on track Jack, take care of yourself.:080402gudl_prv:

I've already had blood taken twice. The first test turned up low hemoglobin (red cells), and the secnd showed really low Ferritin Protene which is needed to absorb iron into the system and make red cells. What I haven't figured out is which comes first... the chicken or the egg?? Does the iron trigger the output of Ferritins, or do I need Ferritins before I can absorb iron?? I have been reading a lot of I-Stuff about Anemia, and so far haven't found an answer that makes sense. They even talk about the lack of Hydracloric acid and it being needed to digest food into iron?? There are other scarrier causes as well including colon cancer. I don't think this would be the problem as my family has never had a case of cancer...ever. I am taking a one a day iron tablet, and vitamin D and fish oil. And yes I have low testosterone... taking a patch for that. And the thyroids been dead and on a one a day for 30 years , which also has something to do with Anemia. Man after typing this... I think I'm a mess....
Carrying a little more weight that me, and being a few years older Jack, (I'm 67), can start catching up with you too. With the asthma (using an inhaler), and using a sleep apnea machine, it seems like I'm starting to lose the battle. The lung capacity just doesn't seem to be there any more!:crying:

Dan, I was diagnosed with Low T, was put on Androgel, it comes in a pump bottle and I have to apply 4 pumps of it daily, not to bad really, it has a heavy smell of alcohol but that goes away as it evaporates. I have to apply it to my chest and abdomen. One bad thing about it, its very toxic to children and the ladies, I have to make sure to wash my hands really good after applying it, the smallest amount could cause havoc with them. Its kinda expensive, but my insurance covers it. I have noticed an increase in my energy level. All you can do is give it a try, I will have to go back to the Dr. and see it the levels are up where they should be, if not she will have to adjust the dose I put on every day.

I have a lot of the same symptons Jack. They blamed it Sleep Apnea. Got stupid machine for that and energy level is worse. Docs don't seem to want to talk about Testostrone thing. IRON will help. You can buy it across the counter. Testostrone seems to be pretty costly and choosing one of the hundreds that all claim they are the best??? I gave up. Don't know if Insurance will touch it. I think getting old is going to suck if I ever get there!!!

Sleep Apena was the cause according to them. I would be 100 per cent better once I got machine. I hate the stupid thing. I'm worse with it. I keep it on all night like I'm supposed to. Take it off in the morning and all I have to do is sit or lie down and I'm out for a few hours. I stay tired.

What did the doctor diagnose & prescribe as a start to fix this problem? I ask my wife that has been a nurse for 45 years and she said the first thing she would have a dietitian look at your diet. She said to have your doctor order the consult with dietitian so the insurance will pay for it. Otherwise you will have to pick up the consult tab. And if you smoke, QUIT. The smoking robs the blood of red cells, so anything you can do to help it will be beneficial.

Keep us posted & we will try to help. At least be a listening post.

Take Care,

What did the doctor diagnose & prescribe as a start to fix this problem? I ask my wife that has been a nurse for 45 years and she said the first thing she would have a dietitian look at your diet. She said to have your doctor order the consult with dietitian so the insurance will pay for it. Otherwise you will have to pick up the consult tab. And if you smoke, QUIT. The smoking robs the blood of red cells, so anything you can do to help it will be beneficial.

Keep us posted & we will try to help. At least be a listening post.

Take Care,

I'm going in tomorrow morning for a consultation with a nurse practitioner. I'm a member of an HMO, Kaiser Permanente, so insurance isn't an issue, and I gave up smoking back in '89, so it's been 23 years and counting. I did find a lot of diet information when searching the web for info about Iron Deficiency Anemia, and I'm regularly eating most of the high in iron stuff they suggest. Plus I started taking a one-a-day iron supliment tablet along with Vitamin D and fish oil just because. It been a couple of weeks on them and I don't see any improvement. While typing this I just thought of something that might be worth looking into. I love popcorn... and haven't been able to eat any for about 10 years because I can't digest the kernals and they created all kinds of issues while going thru the system. Low hydracloric acid in the stomach has something to do with iron absorbtion. Maybe they're connected somehow?? I'm making a list of things I can think of that may be pertenent to the IDA for tomorrow. Just added one more... :)

Natural supplements like Vit-D and fish oil can take up to three months before you see any results. I take those supplements, as well as Vit-B and Glucosamine. They need to cycle in the system for a while before benefits are seen.

Don't quit taking them. you should have benefit after about six weeks. Most people give up too soon on natural therapies.

Good luck with the consult, and results my friend

Went to the Docs this afternoon. Nice lady and we got along great. She said my hemo's and ferritins are low, but not that low to produce the symptoms I've been experiencing. We're going to do a poop test to see if there's any internal bleeding and then do a colonostophy if it shows positive. Mean while they're going to order up an EKG. She thinks if might be ticker related. My dad died of a heart attack and my younger brother just had a 6 way about a month ago. So I do have weak heart genes, although this has all come on in the last 2 years. In '09 at Cody I felt fine, last summer at Cody I was having a hell of a time.... Especially with the high altitude.... So nothing definative yet, just want to be able to walk a block without feeling like I'm going to flop over....

• 1 month later...

Well I've taken all the tests, and there's nothing wrong with the ticker. Did a Lexiscan on Monday, and there ain't no blockages. Diagnosis.... I'm way over weight, and grossly out of shape.. So.... I'm seriously back on my no goody diet, and starting to work up to power walking in the mornings. I need to loose 100 pounds... Starting NOW!! At least I know I won't keel over and die while out hoofing it.... :thumbsup2: