IGNORED

my debit card just got hit

Sideoftheroad

I was just online checking my account and there are 3 $1 hits for AOL, IMBd and Experian. I don't have AOL, I can get credit scores free and IMBd is an online movie database that I don't use.

So I am getting my debit card shut down. I thought I was pretty careful w/ my debit card but apparently not enough. I do know of individuals no matter how careful you are the card # is stolen.

Now off to check my credit cards just in case.

I understand there are some offshore places that just generate random numbers and run small amounts through that wont be noticed immediatly to see if the account is active, and then in a day or 2 they come back and go for some large withdrawls. A couple people I know have had it happen and all had creditcards tied to their bank account to do the direct debit.

its probably not that youve been hacked its that theyve just picked you at random and ran your account against the banks database.

Brian

That's how mine started with two or three one dollar amounts then the big transaction. Bank took care of it pretty easy. Said they would cover all drafts including any over draft fees if there was any. Just had to stop by the sign to sign a paper. All mine went to a big chain of gasoline stores out west somewhere.

The banks do make mistakes and deposit money sometimes, but when that happens most people keep quiet and say nothing, so you never hear about it.

I got a free pack of smokes on Friday. I asked for 2 packs and I had also bought toothpaste and chapstick. Total came to $17.84 .... as I walked away I thought "hmmmm that doesn't add up" ... toothpaste was $5 something and chapstick was just under $3. Normally 2 packs of smokes add up to over $17.

I like it when the mistake is in my favor!!

The small purchase may be a test. The next step we have been seeing here is to use them to purchase gift cards in large retail stores. Usually buy a few $30.00 or $50.00 cards then try to give it a big hit. Once the store activates the gift card they are golden. This time of year is a great time to sell a gift card in the parking lot. I got a $100.00 gift card for Christmas and I need $75.00 cash. People eat this up like candy.

I was just online checking my account and there are 3 $1 hits for AOL, IMBd and Experian. I don't have AOL, I can get credit scores free and IMBd is an online movie database that I don't use.

So I am getting my debit card shut down. I thought I was pretty careful w/ my debit card but apparently not enough. I do know of individuals no matter how careful you are the card # is stolen.

Now off to check my credit cards just in case.

Well I am glad that you caught it in time!

There is an easy way to prevent fraudulent use of your credit cards.... spend to the max and keep them at the limit !

Supposed to be good for the economy too !

oh yeah... been there and done that .... 2 credit cards maxed out to the tune of appx 25,000 .... i was taking from one to pay the payment on the other and vice versa.... it's not a fun time .... the only "fraud" going on was me!

My advice to everyone is, if ya can't pay cash, don't use the cc. If ya got the bucks in the bank, take advantage of the cc but make sure ya pay it off by the end of 30 days.

DO NOT allow yourself to get behind the 8-ball!

Do not often use the card, usually pay cash which totally throws some clerks. We pay off the card immediately. Haven't paid interest in years but they still keep upping my limit.

Same here. Lost my bank card yesterday went to the grocery store and asked if they had any cards turned in. Described the name was wore off and there was a bend in the card and the last four digits and I got it back.

They had a few hundred all sorted out.

Brad