IGNORED

1986 Yamaha Venture License Plate

Hmmmm..Hate for my first question to be a "stupid" one, but they SAY there's no such thing as a stupid question..I guess you'll have to be the judge..!

Anyway; I just purchased a 1986 Yamaha Venture, and got my new plate. Went to change it out, and used the proper tool for removing the retaining screws/bolts, but all they do is turn, i.e. they don't come out. So; my problem is figuring out how to get to the backside so I can hold the nut or whatever is there while I unscrew from the front. I've tried removing luggage, etc., for access, but just can't figure it out..Perhaps the tail light has to be removed? Thanks for any assistance here!

Edited by auldschool

OK, is it a Kawasaki Voyager, or a Yamaha Venture?

Hmmmm..Hate for my first question to be a "stupid" one, but they SAY there's no such thing as a stupid question..I guess you'll have to be the judge..!

Anyway; I just purchased a 1986 Yamaha Voyager, and got my new plate. Went to change it out, and used the proper tool for removing the retaining screws/bolts, but all they do is turn, i.e. they don't come out. So; my problem is figuring out how to get to the backside so I can hold the nut or whatever is there while I unscrew from the front. I've tried removing luggage, etc., for access, but just can't figure it out..Perhaps the tail light has to be removed? Thanks for any assistance here!

I have my Venture apart for maintenance so went and looked at license plate mount.

There are two bolts / screws up under near the top of the plate mounting platform near the tail light . One on each side of the plate. Take those two screws out and the whole platform will be able to be bent back for access to the screws that mount the license plate from behind. I can take pictures for you if that would help. :301:

Good luck

Red Baron

the nuts on the back are sliders, adjustable to accomodate plates from all countries and states. I suspect someone may have damaged then and replaced with standard nylocks or similar. Do as other stated. The 2 screws under thetail light to start and may need to loosen others

• 5 months later...

I see no other comments on this thread and I have the same question. I need to install my new license but removing the plate holder eludes me. I know the previous owner told me he twisted the four nuts and then found out they were LED lights and he tore the wires. 1989 Royale has the small rear fender and I see two bolts up in the top. Do I remove those to get access to the plate holder? Thanks

Gary