IGNORED

Rear Brake not releasing after using it

Just some little info for you all.

I could not find any info on how the proportioning valve is put together and I know someone else (& it was a dealer) worked on the one I have on my parts bike before I got the bike, because the rear brakes would not release after you pump on the rear brake pedal.

First I checked the rear caliper by opening the rear bleeder and then the wheel would move just fine .

I checked the rear master for a pluged up return little hole but that was clean , I rebuilt the master because I had it out ,

so then on to the proportioning valve .

Well I took it apart and found the following.

The person before me put the last seal in under the spring washer which is wrong. It is to go in the end nut and then I also found out that the first seal you install DO NOT INSTALL ON THE PISTON.(which the dealer did ) and I also did the first time. The proportioning valve will not work ,the seal goes to the wrong place and will not release the pressure back to the master. You have to install the first seal by pushing it down the tube all the way to the bottom then push the piston into the seal then install the spring,spring washer and last the nut with the seal placed inside if the nut. Then I put back on my bike Everything works fine.

Just to prove that even if you take it apart and put it back the way you took it apart, may be the wrong way and that is what I found out. It would have been nice to have a breakdown of it to save some time. The Yamaha service manual does not have anything on the proportioning valve except a picture for my 1986 Venture Royal.

I hope this info might help others that have the same problem. Most of the time this problem is a plugged small return hole in the master but not this time.

:080402gudl_prv:

Attached are a few of pictures of the proportioning valve as it came out of my 83.

The rear brakes worked fine before disassembly. I am not sure if valve was ever apart before I obtained bike, but due to its relativity low milage I would find it unlkely.

Valve was disassembled for pictures, as I no longer use it on bike with delinked brakes.

In first picture the rubber grommet on lower right was in the cap on the lower left.

Gary

I think what Gary just posted should help you out a bit. I went nuts when I got my '84 as the PO had disassembled the proportioning valve and then it went back together wrong. Brakes were a PITA the way it was.

I was a member on the Venturers site at the time and one of the guys actually tore down his valve so we could figure it out. I had a bunch of posts and pics there at the time. I was digging though my old pics when Gary posted his pics. They appear to be in the correct order of assembly.

There is no breakdown of the parts available in the parts or service manuals or online and no kits either. They were never meant to be serviced or taken apart by Yammy. Got mine back together and it's been working fine for years now.

Good luck.

Mike

Yes I did mine by just looking and trying it different ways.

What Gary Posted is the right way it should go together but just remember that the rubber grommet on the end of the gold rod must be install off the gold rod into the body then put the gold rod into it.

Thanks Gary for the pictures and the break down.